Wireless Unreliability

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Hi guys,

Just before I go and buy a vast quantity of CAT5 cable, I want to check some stuff regarding WiFi.

We have a NetGear DG834G (v2) WiFi Router box-o-tricks. We've got 2 PCs and one Mac which have tried to connect to it. The Mac (iBook) is flawless. Gets a strong signal anywhere in the house and has never dropped a connection. In fact, I transferred 8 gig over the network from it last night with no problems.

The PCs are behaving like dogs though. I've got an SMC 2802W PCI card (this is in the same room as the router, btw). My friend, a couple of rooms down from me has a some US Robotics jobby. I'm running Windows XP SP2, she's running SP1. The network is configured with MAC address restrictions and WPA-PSK security.

Both the PCs can't hold their connection for toffee. I can be transferring files from the Mac to my PC (again, both in the same room as the router) and the PC drops its connection. It gets it back again immediately - if I were browsing the web it wouldn't cause a noticable problem. My friend the USR PCI card has a worse experience.

Now, I know it's not the router because the Mac works fine. So is it a case that we've both got shite WiFi hardware (I can believe that my SMC is shit)? There are two other guys in the house, and we're faced with them getting WiFi (plus the potential of replacing the WiFi equipment I already have in my PC). However, if it's just a case that Windows WiFi implementation is unstable and that this is 'normal' then I shan't bother and will just run cable. I certainly don't want friends wasting their money on any equipment only to have to buy cable afterwards.

Thanks very much,

Ben

Bahumat

FH is my second home
EDIT:- ahh just noticed the posting date :(

I had this problem, i even sat the adsl router and pc next to each other, connection dropped every few minutes for about 2 seconds, fucked any downloads etc.

you got 3 choices here.

1) do what i did and spend about 1 week reading countless forums on the same issue but although you try all the suggestions they fail.

2) make a post here and hope Comos reads it...as he did not it may be best to pm him

3) do the above 2 and then give up and run a wire round the house

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom