Wireless stufflez

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I have 2x DG834N routers, I have 3 pcs and a laptop.

I want to move one pc to another room unfortunately wireless card is not present so I wanted to have :

Room 1:

1x router
2x pcs

Room 2:
1x router
1x pc

And use the routers so I can just plug the pc in in room2 and have it connect between the routers using a wireless connection, unfortunately I seem to be a spastic.

Halp please.

Clown

Part of the furniture
What? This is what I do. What's the problem again? What?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Just farking nothing.

I've got my laptop in room2 atm, and it can see both networks.

I've set both SSID's on the routers to the same. ( at this point laptop only sees room2s router on the wireless network list ). Both on the same channel, both with the same network key.

But They dont seem to be able to be communicating :/

Clown

Part of the furniture
Have you got roaming enabled on the laptop card? I dont use roaming so I don't really know what it's all about. I just manually change between the two wireless networks.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Dont think I have roaming enabled, but that isnt the point, I want to use my PC without a wireless card, to connect via lan cable to router2 in room2, and have router1+router2 connected via wireless.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
First thing sprung to mind was "what?" but after reading again am guessing you want to connect to wireless access points wirelessly. router 1 talks to router b across the wireless network.

short answer no, routers don't like each other as a rule.

Long answer, Maybe, But you need to find out if the routers supports WDS if not, maybe = no, if so maybe = maybe but with head aches :)

Surgestion of getting a wireless repeater. can pick em up now for £30 ish, saves a lot of time and effort.

P.S. if i guessed wrong at the nature of the request, ignore me :)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
curse 10 min edit limit.

anyway..

Might want to check out something like this Its a repeater with RJ45 (8p8c) connector. Should be what you need after reading last post.

It seems if either of your routers can function as a repeater (rare but out there) then converting 1 of them might be an idea. Some linksys can do this with a firmware flash. Might want to check manufacturers board , email there support or grab the tech data sheets on ya routers. Info should be around somewhere on if its posible :)

Or have a PC with a wireless conection act as a software Bridge and operate it as 2 networks, Should allow it no probs but bridge PC would need to be on for up stairs network to have Inet access. Should work tho.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Dont think I have roaming enabled, but that isnt the point, I want to use my PC without a wireless card, to connect via lan cable to router2 in room2, and have router1+router2 connected via wireless.
Then why didn't you say so, you fucking spacker. These Netgears don't do that. Buy another 'LAN cable'.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Or buy a wireless network card for the pc in room 2 and have everything connecting to router 1? Or am I missing the point...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Or buy a wireless network card for the pc in room 2 and have everything connecting to router 1? Or am I missing the point...

The point is I already have two routers :tt

G

wireless bridge ftw, use one of the routers as a wireless bridge to the other router then that goes to the interinformationsupermucktracks (TM)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
The DG834 does not support WDS and therefore cannot be connected together wirelessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom