Wireless Routers

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have a Netgear wireless router at home (802.11G), but for some reason signal strength sucks. I don't know if its something to do with the house or the router itself, but I struggle to get a signal between the router in my study and a PC in the bedroom directly above (and I mean directly; its probably no more than 10 feet in a straight line) or the living room next door (making my slingbox useless). The router is patched etc. so I'm struggling for ideas. One option is simply to get a better router, which leads to my question; what's the best wireless router on the market? (NB. I'm talking router, not modem/router; I have fibre to the home so I don't need a modem) I've been looking at a Netgear Rangemax Wireless N, but I know jack about wireless n routers. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Are you sure a new router is the best option? How good is the wireless card on your laptop/desktop? If for some reason (concrete wall, asbestos, cabling) the signal is always going to get a messed up going from one part of the house to another, boosting the output might not help as much as you expect and getting a better receiver might help.

I don't know about the router but I was given RANGEMAX™ NEXT WIRELESS N USB ADAPTER – WN111 to use and it was amazing. I was in a room where I could barely get a signal (< 20% strenght) with my laptop but after I plugged it in I could play online games. (although it did lag with more than about 10 people, still impressive!)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Have you tried fiddling with the wireless settings on your netgear? Flicking wireless channels to see if any provide a better strength?

Unfortunately I'm not too clued up on the N level routers but I just installed a cheapo Linksys N level router and it seems pretty decent, only 45 quid too. That said, this client doesn't need massive range so we've not really tested its strength.

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
Wireless in a netgear is defaulted to channel 11 change it to channel 1-3 imo

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Remember Group N is not yet a finalised standard Gaff and (correct me if i'm wrong) the network will only be as fast as the slowest device, so if it's G or B it's not going to help.

Try having a look at this:

Step-by-Step: Creating a Wireless Network, &ndash; Part 3 (Troubleshooting)

It may offer some suggestions such as having the router in a "birdeye" position (you said the bedroom is above the study?) or making sure the antenna is upright.

My mate's mum and dad's house is fine for wireless... until you go into their garage conversion which was built to much better and more solid standards to the rest of the house (thinking big breeze block / cement and plaster combo walls). There, the wireless signal is non existant even though the router is probably 20 feet or so away in a sort of diagonal direction from the garage conversion.

I live in a timber framed newly built flat and can pick up wireless signals from my penthouse (read: top floor :p ) flat that are clearly on different floors.

What sort of construction is your house? Georgian? New build? Stone framed?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Interesting...the router is in the study, which is a garage conversion... Weird thing is though, the signal is weak even if you're right next to it in the same room, which makes me think the router itself has issues.

Yeah the fact that wireless N is unfinalised is what worried me; I realised to get the most out of it I'd have to upgrade the PCI cards as well.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Interesting...the router is in the study, which is a garage conversion...

I'm willing to put money on that being a significant chunk of the problem Gaff especially what i've seen first hand on what a garage conversion did to my mate's wireless setup.

Maybe some sort of repeater or extender thingy that sits outside of the study?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
But if you're having signal problems when you're right next to the device that suggests something else. Try changing the channels as suggested, but also check for things that could cause interference. I had a client who had very poor signal unless right next to the router, it turned out some recently installed extractor fan had fucked wiring. This caused masses of interference and as soon as it was switched off everything was hunky dory.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I have a Netgear wireless router at home (802.11G), but for some reason signal strength sucks. I don't know if its something to do with the house or the router itself, but I struggle to get a signal between the router in my study and a PC in the bedroom directly above (and I mean directly; its probably no more than 10 feet in a straight line) or the living room next door (making my slingbox useless). The router is patched etc. so I'm struggling for ideas. One option is simply to get a better router, which leads to my question; what's the best wireless router on the market? (NB. I'm talking router, not modem/router; I have fibre to the home so I don't need a modem) I've been looking at a Netgear Rangemax Wireless N, but I know jack about wireless n routers. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I had identical symptoms. I ended up walking around my house holding my laptop and sleuthing out the signal drop out. Turned out it was my TV's Philips wireless sender. Switched it off - problem gone.

Now I only switch the sender on when I want to watch TV upstairs, then turn it off afterwards. Bear in mind - it might be your neighbour who has one of these...

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Oh yes - another problem - I had a weak signal when the computer was on the floor - I'm guessing there was metal trunking in the wall - I bought a wireless extender that I could keep on the desk to fix that particular problem.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
We have a few range extenders, works great tbh, just a bitch to set-up but that was because of linksys being gay.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I have found with the 'N' sometimes its best to set everything to G runs alot better IMO
Also change the Channel to 6, its a good little router though unfortnatly I have been through 3 in the past year, Netgear seem to be sending out broken replacements. but 'touch wood' this one will work.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Couple of surgestions, nothing thats prob not been surgested.

Aviod locations close to new built walls. Foil backed insulation can stop the signals almost dead in there tracks. Same with TV's, (some) cordless phones(mobiles are fine, they use a different range(some dects use 2.4ghz)) and TV senders. Try to centralise the access point in the building (omni directional aeriels).

Change channel. First do a scan of avail wireless signals in the area, find out what channel they are useing and try to give your self as much space as you can between you and them. Wireless is funky as it works on a first come first served basis like token ring networks. Client sends request, access point acks the request and data is transfered, at this point no other client can transfer. If you pick a channel same as someone elses close to you and they send a request to there access point, yours locks out for a split sec while the access point checks for the client and decides if it should send an ack. Not so noticable in home enviroments. Can be a pig in offices tho.

High gain aeriels can be a plus to. (brings back memories of CB days :p) For both access point and client, can increase signal strength to and from the client to and from the access point. If you in a coner on the outside wall of the house, consider a directional aerial. Saves wasting signal sent to none required areas.

Finaly consider wiring everything. Don't have to worry then ;)

Embattle

FH is my second home
I did have an issue recently with my wireless router signal just dropping through the floor, even standing next to it would result in the signal dropping eventually. I just changed channel to channel 2 after using NetStumbler.com to find what channels were being use near me. Personally I use powerline networking for my main PC and the wireless was for the laptops.

Linksys by Cisco - WRT160N - Wireless-N Broadband Router - Seen some nice reviews for the modem version of this router.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Very nice little utility there Emb

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Just as a heads up, I bought the ADSL Modem version of that linksys router. Lasted 2 days and it's going back to ebuyer tomorrow. Seems to work fine in everything but the wireless part. Drops the wireless link at random intervals. I've got several computers on the wireless and it affects them all. Appears to be a common problem with no known fix as of yet.

WAG160N - will not hold connection - DSL - Linksys Community Forums

4 pages, loads of people with the same problem and no official response.

On the plus side, ebuyer are being cool and sending a courier to pick it up for a refund.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Anyone recommend a good Wireless-N router?

I have looked at the Netgear DGN2000, the Linksys WAG160N and the Belkin F5D8633 but can't seem to make up my mind which is the best choice..

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That is the top of the range gigabit edition though, there are cheaper versions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom