Wireless routers/access points

Tilda

Currently we have a netgear router splitting the cable internet between a network printer and 3 computers. We now want to expand to a wireless setup too so we can have computers in other rooms too.

Do we need a wireless router, or can we just get an access point type thing that can daisy chain onto the current router?

Any ideas or recommendations as to what would be best?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tech forum Tilds!

if your current router has an uplink port, you could possibly link in a wifi router or wifi accespoint.

in my house, there is a cable modem attached to a firewall box with a wifi accesspoint running. my gf's poota attaches via cable to the firewall, and my poota attaches to the firewall via wifi.

Jimmae

One of Freddy's beloved
ive got similar thing, netgear dg814 router, which has my pc connected via rj45, a switch on another port, and a wireless access point connected to the switch, all netgear stuff.
i wouldnt bother spending the cash on a router if you dont have a problem with your old one, just get an access point, then youve got your wireless bits, and more options for wired network too.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/33090...rt-Ethernet-Switch-10-100Base-TX/Product.html
that switch
Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK
that AP

Gahn

Resident Freddy
If u got a free port on the Switch/Hub just add a Wireless Accesspoint (when u configure it u'll need to check if rest of your network gets Ip addresses via DHCP and configure it accordingly), if u don't have free ports it's still chepaer to get a bigger Switch (6-8-16 ports whatever) than buying a wless router imo.
Whatever u decide tho, when it comes down to install it, remember to switch on Wep-128 (or any other Encryption method) to avoid ppl leeching your Cable Access ^^

Also i find easy and reliable equipment from Linksys.com which is a Cisco company also.

Wireless Products

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom