Help Wireless PC to TV - Best way

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Whats the best way to watch stuff on my TV from my PC?

My PC is a long way from my TV so wirelessly would be the way forward I would guess...

Any gadgets that do this really well?

Thanks! ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Whats the best way to watch stuff on my TV from my PC?

My PC is a long way from my TV so wirelessly would be the way forward I would guess...

Any gadgets that do this really well?

Thanks! ;)

I use TVersity via my PS3. But the quality if you do it wirelessly is shite. I have a home LAN so I can do it that way, but an alternative would be to get a couple of Powerline adaptors.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Failing that you can pick up modded xboxes for cheap, and use XBMC.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Depends on the quality of your wireless signal. So far the max throughput I've seen is about 35Mb/s streaming HD content.
If you can't manage that get the Powerline adaptors as DaGaffer mentioned....

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Failing that you can pick up modded xboxes for cheap, and use XBMC.

That's what my mate does.

All his TV shows and movie rips live on a PC. He then bought a cheap modded xbox to stream them. Works very well indeed, an excellent budget solution and I would recommend it.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
What do the Powerline adaptors do?

What is regarded as being cheap for a modded xbox? is that the xbox 360? or the older one?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi dysfunction

Powerline networking allows you to send data using your home's electrical circuits (Netgear et al. make the kit you will need). The main advantage is you don't need to lay CAT5 cable to carry the data, nor worry about wireless signal interference (obviously there are pros and cons, though).

As for the Xbox method, the original Xbox (non-360) is used because it's more easily modded. There's plenty of information on the internet about it.

Kind regards

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I use TVersity via my PS3. But the quality if you do it wirelessly is shite. I have a home LAN so I can do it that way, but an alternative would be to get a couple of Powerline adaptors.

Hmm - this is the same as my setup, but I don't really have any issues I have noticed ... mind you, physical proximity is very close.

Ref powerline connections, anyone got any idea of the latest status on internet delivery? They were running some tests in scotland and other spots, I think.... ?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I can't find any modded xbox's on ebay.Anyone suggest other sources to get one of them? Or is it easy to get hold of the modding chips/software...

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Can you plug the PS3 into a standard TV? (ie not a HDTV)
I still have an oldish TV which only has scart plugs really...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Damn this anti editing after x minutes...

Anyhooooo...I just bought myself an xbox for £16....just hope I can mod it myself without too much hassle to get xbmc on it...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Thanks! Might purchase one of them later on. The connectors on the back didnt look like it would fit a regular TV...so was just wondering.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
There is a proprietary Sony connection on the back that allows a composite signal, or SCART adapter.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well I bought and old xbox softmodded it got XBMC on it and networked it with my PC and it works perfectly!!

Woohoo!! Yay me!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Grats. Although if I'd known you could have had my old one, it's just sitting around gathering dust after all!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I can't find any modded xbox's on ebay.Anyone suggest other sources to get one of them? Or is it easy to get hold of the modding chips/software...

I have one ;)

I have to echo what others have said, the PS3 is fantastic for this but it was shite when streaming HD content, when I wired it up it was perfect.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
When I get a HD TV (in x years time :( ) I will get a PS3

inactionman: ah well it didnt cost me much so no real bother....if this one dies I'll contact you though!

Chilly

Balls of steel
hawkwind: not really. with the new wireless-n stuff you connect at around 100mbit and can get wire speeds over air with good signal strength and low interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom