Wireless PC to (PC + PC) Cabled.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Hrms, couldnt think of a better thread topic but heres the situation.

Currently got one PC downstairs and 1 upstairs. One is my rents and the other upstairs is my current 'code' box (p2 400).. but today, around 2 hours time, im off to pickup my new box for upstairs. Now, my CM connection (600k NTL via Ethernet atm) is downstairs so the first thing im going to do is setup me Wireless network with BB between my new box and this comp downstairs. Simple enough, but what if I want my 2nd PC (the p2 400 mind) connected to my new one via cables. Is it also a case of allowing ICS on the box its connected to, to allow it to be shared or is this not possible? All 3 computers are running Win XP Pro.

Might not make sense so heres easier way.

INET/Wless Router/PC1 -[wireless]- PC2 + PC3 -[cabled]- Can PC3 run of the internet connection that is shared between PC1 and PC2 by simply allowing ICS on PC2? If not is there another method round it rather than purchasing another Wireless card?

RedVenom

Banned
Just do this.

internet with wireless----- wireless
|
|
|
wired

times infinity.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Ahh I cant tho :)

As i said its my 2 PCs upstairs and parents downstairs along with the internet.. I cant run another 20m cable downstairs as thats why were gettin the Wireless to stop that. Also have to keep my 2 in me room obviously.. :>

RedVenom

Banned
pgh said:
Ahh I cant tho :)

As i said its my 2 PCs upstairs and parents downstairs along with the internet.. I cant run another 20m cable downstairs as thats why were gettin the Wireless to stop that. Also have to keep my 2 in me room obviously.. :>

wrong use the internet to make an internet hub behind the router

wire and wireless as needed as you want to what you want and then you can add more to ^_____^

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not going to bother wasting another second trying to translate what redvenom wrote. I'm guessing punctuation or a lack thereof might have something to do with it.

Sounds like the easiest solution would be to run WiFi to get the connection upstairs and use ICS with a crossover cable to share the connection between your two upstairs computers. Might be easiest to give a little more detail as to which PC is where, and what connection types you're currently using though to pin a solution down properly.

Xav

RedVenom

Banned
o wat
internet.gif

dont listn 2 him do this

Athan

Resident Freddy
Ok, so you have 2 machines running already, do you have that many public IPs or are things already NAT'd by this point ?

Basically, you shouldn't NEED to do *ICS* between PC 2 and 3, just set up routes.

So, it's:

Internet <--> cable modem <-- ethernet --> Parents' PC

Currently? How is the current upstairs PC2 connected ? You already have the Wireless router? If so is the cable modem going into that instead? If not then I assume you have a second NIC in PC1 (parents') running to PC2 ?

If you're not wanting the cabling going upstairs then I guess you'll end up with:

Internet <---> Cable Modem <--> Wireless Router <- - - - - > PC2

With the Wireless Router also having an ethernet port or two in it (for PC1). Then PC3 either needs to be able to do wireless itself, or you use xover cable between it and PC2 and then just set up the routes.

If the Wireless Router is giving out 192.168.0.* to anything on it, then you use 192.168.1.1 and 196.168.1.2 on PC2/3's ethernet cards. Set PC3's default route to 192.168.1.1 and it should all 'just work'. Assuming PC2's OS is set up to forward packets that is :).

Anyway, you need to confirm a few things, then we can help with specifics if needs be.

-Ath

RedVenom

Banned
Stop over-compflicationing things. The diagram above is your e-friend for hot hot easy home setup.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
RV, play nice. This is the one and only time I'll ask - pgh came asking for help and that's exactly what he's going to get.

RedVenom

Banned
What?

The diagram sets out exactly how he can set his network up with minimal fuss. Go ahead and suggest all sorts of stupid things using ICS via certain machines, but you really are wasting your breath. I've set out a far more simple solution than everyone else.

: mad :

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
review!

*hugs RV*

Right.

From reading your post Xavier thats basically all I was wanting to know, if that was possible. :) Heads a bit straighter now and some things are set up so I can explain easier if its any more help.

2x WLESS PCI 54MBPS
1x WLESS ADSL/CM ROUTER 54MBPS

This is what im picking up on Monday. Currently picked up new PC last nite (lovely PC at that :> *glances at teh neons*) and set it up. Ran a crossover cable from my new pc to my old one. Both of these are upstairs and in my room. That means I currently have PC2 (old one) and PC3 (new one) networked. So PC2 = PC3 atm.

Downstairs, with my Net Connection is PC1. Currently into my CM with Ethernet not USB obv, no one other network connections. So the deal is for me to:

Plug Modem into WLESS Router.
WLESS Cards in PC1 (downstairs) and PC3. (upstairs but crossover'd to PC2 mind)

This means we have:

Internet - Router - PC1
- PC3 - Crossovered - PC2.

All I need to do is then just enable ICS on PC3 (the one connected to the WLESS) and itll act as normal as if the connections right into PC3? I mean, the whole lot sounds workable in theory but as if it ever works as easy as this.. :] As I said tho, picking up the gear on Monday and i'll let ya know how I get on..

*Edit*
Just actually looked at the 'paint' effort. That just:

Internet - Router - Ethernet - PC1
- WLESS PC2
- WLESS PC3

In this case, I could get away with only one WLESS card and use the above but still keep PC2 and PC3 crossover'd?
*/Edit*

Offtopic: Warcraft 3 - LAN 1 on 1 = win. Just hope to get the 3 PCs up and running with a decent Net conn to allow meself and some m8s to sit in, get pished/stoned then rampage some random game server.. ;)

RedVenom

Banned
pgh said:
*hugs RV*

In this case, I could get away with only one WLESS card and use the above but still keep PC2 and PC3 crossover'd?
u could but why bother. ure causing unneccessessarry problems and u'll find u need too have 1 machine on to get too the net and stuff. 2cards is much easier.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier answered my question RV. Your idea just put other ways to do this in me head. :)

Both PC's will be on 24/7 anyway. The one downstairs however wont. If anyone else has a suggestion please feel free to let me know, going to stick with the original plan and attempt to make the silly ICS work (couldnt get it last time with me 20m crossover from downstairs to up, but then again I wired the plugs using a screwdriver not a crimper ;)) So also please feel free to post to a quick few steps to setting up ICS? :] Afaik, XP does most of the work itself for networks anyway. I mean, all I did last nite was crossover'd the 2 PCs, switched em on, set same workgroup and named em then when I restarted it was there. :] Using XP Pro on all btw, no SP's.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
*confused*
*Gives RV a Dictionary..*

:]]

Clown

Part of the furniture
I was going to do things like you originally thought but decided against it. Now any computer can be on whenever they want, and still have internet.
https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=4768

The router will probably come with a straight through, so you wouldn't have to worry about that. I'd say RV's way is the best.

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Gaming over wireless sucks. Depends on the game though, fps type games I find theres a slight lag feel. Other games that arnt latency critical like Diablo 2 or any other RPG its OK.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
RV, the 'help' forms are here for us to initially answer peoples questions, rather than telling them 'i r teh superi0r, my solushun is teh bestest, j00 all suxx0r.' - therefore I wanted to get to the bottom of what pgh was asking before presenting other offerings or possible solutions. Remember he was a question as to what was technically possible not technically best.

People will never be able to learn how to figure out technical matters for themselves if they're just given an answer as you opted, by explaining and answering pgh's initial query, it would then make sense to offer alternatives. That kind of comparison *hopefully* leads to a better understanding and less confusion on the part of all concerned, and is the way 99% of questions are answered in the hardware forums.

I was going to save this for a PM, but to be honest after considering your attitude in parts of this thread I'll write it here instead for all to see - if you can't play nice and offer answers to the questions people ask, rather than trying to imprint your will, please don't bother posting at all.

Xav

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I can play nice. :[

Ok, so I know you werent talking to me. :p

And back to the point.. Now got 3 solutions availible that im wishing to try and the way im going to is try 3 different setups for a week each and see how the performance of them compares. Usually a week for me consists of the same thing, IRC, Q3/ET/Wc3/CoD around 20hrs worth i'd estimate, downloading nearly 24/7 when not gaming, file transfering and such so itll be roughly the same strain and bandwidth usage etc. What you think? Sounds decent. Also PM'd 'Clown' who posted another WLess network thread a while back to see how his has turned out. (Some reason search didnt show it :/)

Thanks for the help guys, no doubt they'll be far more to come. :>

RedVenom

Banned
People don't always realise that what they want isn't the best solution.

I didn't say "this is the only way to do it and if you don't then you're stupid". I provided an alternative that would in all ways be better for the poster. If they want to go with their own solution, fine - I can't help them with that as I said; I don't use ICS.

No one else even offered an alternative. Half of what people have posted so far has been so factually incorrect (" Basically, you shouldn't NEED to do *ICS* between PC 2 and 3, just set up routes." - ICS routes traffic), but of course that doesn't matter. You can't better yourself by always going with your own ideas, because they aren't always the right. Unless they're mine.

And having discussed this with Jonty already, I would've hoped this matter had been cleared up. Its regrettable that people keep dragging this old neddy up over and over.

: mad :

-Rv

Clown

Part of the furniture
I have to say, I prefer the 'normal' Rv as opposed to the **** one. You know what I'm talking about.

I also happen to think his solution to the guy's problem is the best one here too. I understood it, and I jumped to the conclusion that pgh would too.

Whatever.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Solution One
Internet - Wless Router to PC1 via Ethernet
Wless Router to PC2 via Wless Card
PC3 to PC2 via Ethernet, PC2 shares the WLess Internet with PC3.

Solution Two
Internet - WLess Router to PC1 via Ethernet
Wless Router to PC2 via Wless Card
Wless Router to PC3 via Wless Card

(Would this still mean PC2 and PC3 = Networked? Presume so?)

Think im going for Solution one. Saves moneys and still lets them all get some sort of Internet to it.

RedVenom

Banned
Solution 2 allows for the comprehensive solution, at the cost of a network card.

You may find that you have difficulty sharing information between PC's 1 & 3 if you choose the cross-over cable. It depends if your priorities are 'sharing the internet', or creating an expandable network solution™.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
This is what im going with. I dont mind not being able to share between PC1 and PC3.. but im guessing PC2 + PC1 will be fine together?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Yep, they'll be fine.

That would be the cabling I'd go for, only use wireless to bridge the leap upstairs. With decent WiFi cards costing £40+ each there's no point getting a second for your parents machine when it's so close.

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Yep, dont help when its 54mbps either.. :]

Thanks again. :D

Athan

Resident Freddy
RedVenom said:
No one else even offered an alternative. Half of what people have posted so far has been so factually incorrect (" Basically, you shouldn't NEED to do *ICS* between PC 2 and 3, just set up routes." - ICS routes traffic)

Yes, but ICS is also *translating* the traffic, which might cause problems if, say, wanting to share files between the machines on the house network. All you *need* is the routeing.

-Ath

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Well.. everything is setup and running smoothly. Only problem is the signal strength.. My ping is running fine as it only being a 600k conn only need basically that ammount of BW but it seems file transer between them aint happening. Well it is, but at such a speed it'd be better off going backwards. o.0

Connection manager shows signal strength only 20%ish strong but enough to ping 40-70 to EU ET servers.. any ideas or tools to tweak this?

Gonna try the obvious of making things closer, checking both arieals are upright, only big distraction between the two is a floor (16cmish thick but only wood/floorboards).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom