Wireless or not to wireless..

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
I'm about to move house and i'm after some advice as to what to do in relation to connecting my computer to the internet in the new place. My current setup is straightforward. BT adsl internet. BT Voyager 205 adsl router plugged into the phone line and then the pc plugged into the router via ethernet.

Basically in the current house the pc is in one of the spare bedrooms. This bedroom has a phone line in it thats been ran there from the line downstairs via the outside(i think anyway!). In the new house theres only one phone line point. This is by the stairs so is no good for the pc. I'm therefore looking at putting the pc in the utility room at the rear of the new house. Will i be better off:

1)Getting a line ran to the back of the house? I don't want to run anything from the master internally cos theres no carpets downstairs.

2)Getting a wireless router and plugging it in at the only phone point at the front of the house?

I don't really have any idea of how good wireless is and if it would be worth it at all since i just have the one pc. Indeed i have no clue how expensive it would be for a decent wireless router plus whatever i need to plug into the pc to make it work.

Yes i know i'm a clueless geordie but like Homer Simpson everytime i think of something new it pushes something old out my head.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Wireless can't beat wired for connection speed and reliability so if you can I'd still go wired.

Failing that then you can get a reasonable router for say £50 e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/52244/rb/21713635385 at £56

Then you'd need a card in the PC for about £15-20. Bear in mind both the distance the wireless signal will have to go and what it will have to travel through. It can also be liable to interference from things like microwaves.

I tend to find wireless is ok for web browsing/email etc but if you need a continous connection with good ping e.g. for gaming then it's not ideal.

Ultimate

Loyal Freddie
Yeah thats the kind of input i'm getting from a different forum i posted on too. Any idea what sort of wire is going to keep the internet signal decent, or am i just betting seeing if BT can sort me something out, maybe run the wire externally?

Poag

m00?
People keep touting wireless as a non gaming connection.

very much nto true.

At home I have 1 PC and 1 laptop, the router is on a different floor in my flatmates room.

I play BF2 UT2004 Quake4 WoW Red Orch HL2 Dm and various other very quick games, I am 90% of the time the lowest pinger on the server, or not far off

On my laptop i play WoW and BF2 from the toher end of my garden, again...lowest pinger on the servers.

I think i can count the number of signal drops on one hand.

And the number of unexplained [ie my flatmate moved the router and dropped the power cable] on well...nothing...never happened that wasn't him movign the damn thing around

Having used wireless for 2 and abit years now as my gaming link, i would not go back to wires.

I have 1 LAN cable between my PC and laptop...for transfering films and videos to edit quicker [moving 22gig over wireless isn't quick]

So i'd say.

Go wireless

atos

Fledgling Freddie
Right, first thign you should check before even considering wireless is the walls in the house. If we are talking concrete you should probably forget wireless alltogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom