Wireless Networking Speed Issue.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Can't get the full 10MB/S, if i plug directly into the router via Ethernet i get the full download speed, just bought a new router today as well as i knew my old router wasn't 'N' plugged it all in and still only getting around 7MB/S.

Is this just down to wireless? all my stuff is in the same room as the router/modem so i didn't think signal would be an issue.

Any tips?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
N really falls off quickly, quicker than g afaik, and you also got the wireless overheads too. 7 from 10 I would think is good for wireless IMO

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Just to chuck something in here, I had a desktop PC that was connected at an alledged 54 Mbits but actually got nowhere near that downloading (despite being 15 feet from the router with a full signal strength). It didn't seem to matter what my wireless connected at, it always seemed to be significantly slower than indicated.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
WiFi is overrated for everything ever published about it. It will never replace wire technology (well not for a few good years yet!)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
My iPad gets 29Mbps Down and 17Mbps Up

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Wireless is shit for everything except low-bandwidth shit like browsing the web. It interferes with stuff too

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wireless is shit for everything except low-bandwidth shit like browsing the web. It interferes with stuff too
No, stuff interferes with it especially microwaves when using the 2.4ghz range, fucktards!

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
No, stuff interferes with it especially microwaves when using the 2.4ghz range, fucktards!

WiFi interferes with Bluetooth :p

edit: assuming they're on the same range, which by default they almost certainly are

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Never knew that, so bluetooth operates in the 2.4ghz range as well?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Maybe will have to see about getting a long Enet cable wired round the room, oh the hassle.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Get the buffalo thing I posted.

There was a rumour if you have a power line plug setup and your neighbour purchases a plug, they can connect to your broadband through your wiring as it all meets up when it gets into the street. Anyone know more on this

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Another vote for powerline adaptors, works very well for those that need a hastle free fix. My parents tried them out to put a LAN connection in their living room for a satellite box - worked a treat.

Aada

Part of the furniture
So these power line adapters you just plug into your plug socket?

Syri

FH is my second home
Get the buffalo thing I posted.

There was a rumour if you have a power line plug setup and your neighbour purchases a plug, they can connect to your broadband through your wiring as it all meets up when it gets into the street. Anyone know more on this
They can't, or so I've heard, through an electrician who works with my dad. At least not in any house with a fairly modern metering system, anyway. The electricity meter filters out anything that's not coming from or going to the property. Mostly it's so nobody can tap into your power and run up your bill, but it also prevents any network signals leaving or entering the property over a power line. I think every house has the newer power meters now, as the utility companies have to maintain them all and update them when they're out of date. If I've been told wrong, feel free to let me know, and I'll start panicking over how to secure my power line linkup to my router.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So these power line adapters you just plug into your plug socket?
plug one in near your router with an ethernet cable in it from said router .. then another where ever in the house you need it with a ethernet cable from it to whatever you want connected

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
They can't, or so I've heard, through an electrician who works with my dad. At least not in any house with a fairly modern metering system, anyway. The electricity meter filters out anything that's not coming from or going to the property. Mostly it's so nobody can tap into your power and run up your bill, but it also prevents any network signals leaving or entering the property over a power line. I think every house has the newer power meters now, as the utility companies have to maintain them all and update them when they're out of date. If I've been told wrong, feel free to let me know, and I'll start panicking over how to secure my power line linkup to my router.

Go visit your neighbour and test it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom