Wireless Network Set-Up type question..

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Have asked on one of the other forums here but to no avail...so time to check out you Techie's n see if you can save me !!

Basically I have a main PC that connects directly to the web via a Router, this PC also has a wireless card in it - what I am trying to do is connect a 2nd PC which is in another room which also has a wireless card in it, to the main PC via the wireless cards and share the Interweb connection..

I used to have this set-up but when my mate buily my new main PC and stuck a new wireless card in etc its not worked since - I have no clue where to start other than tried briding the connection etc but all that does is stop me from connecting to the web at all.

The one thing I have noticed is on the previous PC once it booted up the little wireless icon in the tray on bottom right of the screen, was always active and the connection was available - however on the new machine I have never seen the wireless connection showing as available.

Where do I start / What do I need to check - I think its going to be my mate not having set up the new card etc in my main machine.. but I am a bit of a tech no0b :)

Be gentle !

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It would be SO much more straight forward to buy a wireless router - they're much cheaper.

To get what you want though, you do need to bridge your wireless network with your ethernet connection. You then need to set the wireless networks to join each other on ad hoc mode, seems like that's what you're trying to do - I don't have a wireless card on this computer so I can't go in to it myself and check where the options are.

Seriously though, I'd highly recommend getting a wireless router - http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=2VCD - 60 quid and you don't have to deal with adhoc networks. They're a pain and flakey as hell. Plus it means you don't need the host PC switched on for the other to work.

Actually, you didn't say if you were Cable or ADSL. If you're cable you just need this: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=2HZ6 - 42 quid. Even if you're on ADSL you could use that one, you'd plug your current router in to it, it would then spit out a wireless signal that you could use from both PC's.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
On ADSL. Manged to get the 2 PC's talking on the wireless network after much fiddling, but it killed the connectin to the internet. Everytime I try n bridge it as well it kills the internet - I know there is something I am missing and its annoying me now as if I can get them talking over wireless I only need the internet connection sorted and I am away :)

Was wondering - would the type of connection I have make a difference - I.E when setting up a network should the main PC connect direct to the web and others through it , or would it matter if it was set up to connect to net via residential gateway..

Dont want to shell out on a new router after buying a wireless card for £20 that should have done what I needed doing...besides going to New York for Xmas and New Year and additional PC costs are not going to go down well with the missus between now and then methinks....It will eat into her "Shoe Budget".

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
You're not with BT are you? They're trying to give wireless routers away at the moment.

Otherwise your best bet is to buy a length of cat5 cable and link the second PC to the router like that. If the missus complains about the trailing wire just show her how cheap the wireless routers are, I mean what's one less pair of shoes?

RB

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Hehe - well I have told her its going to save me hassle to go Wireless..but now its principle - I had the wireless working, but no internet - I am close dammit ! I am a man ! Its not in my nature to give up now !

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
If the router is setup to DHCP then you probably just need to enable the bridge, then tell it to DHCP. Or if it's not DHCPing, bridge then configure the bridge with the right IP.

Note that when you get a bridge your wired and wireless adapters no longer have their own IP instead the bridge has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom