Wireless N Access Point

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Looking for a good one to beef up my wifi connectivity options a little bit. The 802.11n range from my Livebox makes me sad. I've looked around a bit and seen something the TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router... Are they any good? From reading a comparison on Tom's Hardware (not of this model, mind) it looks like they are just about the worst performers but I wouldn't expect anything else at that price. Or what about the ASUS RT-N56U or Belkin N750 DB? I would've thought external antennas are better than internal (just because they're, like... external, y'know?) but I don't know. I like the look of that Belkin, it has lots of reassuring words and pretty pictures. :)

Any ideas? Thanks.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The last time I had anything Belkin it was a pain in the arse.

I'd have a rummage through here: Wireless Router Reviews | PC Pro to see if that helps you pick out any other contenders.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
G (of the Mystic variety), I had a Belkin N something a few years ago that admittedly took a massive internal shit... all sorts of errors and things that factory resetting had no effect on. Wired networking worked fine through it but wireless was a complete non event. I've taken the Belkin off the table now anyway because it doesn't seem to be available outside America (all sites I have looked for it either don't stock it or it's "soon available"). The TP-Link looks like a cheap POS tbh so I will avoid that also.

And thanks Gaff, I hadn't seen that one. I'm now looking at that Netgear and the Linksys E4200-EW...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
In router printer support is pretty nifty.

The only other alternative btw is get a cheap router that supports openwrt or similar.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The Billion 7800N is the one I'm looking at for my next router.
The hardware is a Broadcom chipset so it should hold a sync well, even on long lines.
It has time scheduling so you can automatically cut off a device at a particular time (handy for parents).
It has the ability to be a DSL modem on it's own or accept a cable or fibre router through EWAN.
Understandable QoS settings to prioritise IPTV, web and email above other traffic.

The price is a bit steep, but it seems to fit the bill for a well featured router.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That whirlpool site is great in general, I have found. Lots of past google troubleshooting or research searches have led me there.

And thanks guys, j'ai acheté the Linksys E4200 in the end, should be here tomorrow. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom