Wireless Modem Router

JingleBells

FH is my second home
I need to get a new wireless ADSL modem router, currently I'm using a Linksys WAG354 which isn't brilliant (and is moving house soon, hence why I need a new one). My parents also have a linksys, and I'm not a big fan of the web interfaces on them compared to what I had on my old wired netgear. However, I've heard very mixed reviews of the latest netgears (I never had any problems with my DG834).

So, anyone got any recommendations?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
A vote for netgear here - very stable and a piece of cake to configure.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
tried looking at routers that can run either DD-WRT , openWRT or Tomato

they all give the routers that can run em loadsa features. altho its an over kill or
"regular" folk might be worth looking at

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I've had a Netgear and a few Speedtouch routers in my time. The Speedtouch routers are my favourite, however I've never had any (major) problems with the Netgear ones.

Kryten

Old Cow.
The netgears are certainly easy to get up and running and the interface covers a lot of the options you need.

Buffalo however are definately the "cheaper make" but they've starting bringing out some good quality hardware that I've been playing with recently (mainly NAS systems) - I'd say no for the time being but would'nt right them off for future recommendations.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The netgears are certainly easy to get up and running and the interface covers a lot of the options you need.

Buffalo however are definately the "cheaper make" but they've starting bringing out some good quality hardware that I've been playing with recently (mainly NAS systems) - I'd say no for the time being but would'nt right them off for future recommendations.

I wouldn't right Buffalo for the now.
I think their products are very good indeed.

They may need some refinement but there is not a lot wrong with the products they deliver...

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Last time I used a Buffalo product the interface was absolutely atrocious. This was quite some time ago though.

mank!

Part of the furniture
A vote for netgear here - very stable and a piece of cake to configure.

aye, i'm using a netgear DG834G and it's very nice. no problems whatsoever and dead easy to use. considering it's downstairs and my PC's upstairs, the signal is pretty good as well

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I've been using Netgear for quite a while. The only problems I've ever had have been with the internal PCI wireless NICs, their connection speed was dire.

My home network has a DG834 Router, 2x WG602 WAPs, a WGE101 bridge and a WGPS606 bridge/print server, I tend to use bridges rather than internal NICs now. None of them have had any problems but the print server never worked properly with my Canon printers, I think that was more to do with printer drivers than anything else.

The standalone networked & wireless stuff is fine, but keep away from the internal NICs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom