Wireless keyboard & mouse in Linux

Kryten

Old Cow.
Trying without much luck to get my keyboard and mouse working in Ubuntu.
There's a few forums and howto sites that explain how to do it by adding mac addresses and specifically pairing as input devices, but I can't see why that's necessary.
Ubuntu installed fine, albeit in text installation mode. The keyboard and mouse work perfectly fine previous to OS, such as the BIOS, which is why I don't understand why Ubuntu wouldn't just work with it as if they're normal input devices. The OS shouldn't even be aware they're cordless.

Any clues?
And before anyone suggests, I don't have a non-wireless keyboard/mouse to fit :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So the wireless kb/mouse set up is bluetooth? Does it come with a bespoke bluetooth receiver or are you using a standard one to hook it up?

Kryten

Old Cow.
It's bespoke (although also acts as a normal one for your phone etc) - a Logitech Wireless Hub. It's a docker for the mouse and also connects the keyboard via bluetooth. Works fine in BIOS and GRUB etc just not in X.

Found another couple of forum posts elsewhere and one guy had exactly the same setup & problems, said that unplugging it from the USB and putting it back in forces it to work for some reason, and it does just that.

Which means I can now get it set up so it works permanently, so should all be fine :)

Just gonna start playing around with getting my X-Fi and Wine working :)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Sidetracking slightly, that's quite cool it can work in the BIOS. My old Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (which was one of the first bluetooth desktop sets) never worked pre-OS because as far as the computer was aware there was no mouse connected. Quite cool that it pretends the kb+mouse are just USB ones and it's a hub/whatever.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yeah, it's quite good.
My keyboard is a Dell XPS bluetooth jobby, mouse is a Logitech MX Laser something or other. Both found via work :)
Generally as all the wireless dongery stuff is done between the hub(or dongle with button) and the input devices, the PC just assumes it's a normal USB set.
So aye, bloody handy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom