Wireless Bridge/Switch

Gog

One of Freddy's beloved
I currently have my BB coming into the house at the front bedroom/study. From here it is connected to a wireless router. My main PC and my fileserver connect to this via cable, and my laptops and PDA connect to the router via wireless. Downstairs in the front room, I currently have my reciever hooked up to a wireless bridge, so that I can access both internet radio the fileserver.

I have just picked up a HD-DVD player which has the option of connecting to the internet both for firmware upgrades and to access specific web content. I have been swapping the bridge to each device as needed, but this is starting to get tiresome. I'm also thinking of picking up a PS3 which will also need need a net connection, so am looking for a solution to all the cable swapping.

What I am looking for is a something like a wireless bridge/switch combo to put in the front room so I don't have to keep swapping cabling. Would something like this be any good, or should I be looking at something else? Ideally I'd like each device to have its own IP address designated by the router - will this be achievable?

Many thanks in advance

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yeah, certainly will be - although I'm not entirely sure why you're unable to do all of this wirelessly via your current wireless router - perhaps I've misunderstood something.

Easiest way to do it (if memory serves me right with Netgear routers) is to have a reserved IP address for each device - when everything is connected up, in the settings page you can select each machine by it's MAC address (the name will be there also) and reserve a specific IP for it. I've got 4 machines in this property and 6 available IP addresses - so the 4 machines IP doesn't change, but leaves me 2 spare IP's for anything else I end up playing with. Works nicely.

Gog

One of Freddy's beloved
Cheers Kryten.

To clarify, both the amp/reciever and the HD-DVD don't have wi-fi built in, just ethernet ports for wired connections. I've remembered that the PS3 does have wi-fi so that's a non-issue now.

Thanks again.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
game adaptors do the same thing dont they? cheaper as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom