Wireless adapters....

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Alright chaps.

So, got net set up in new house. Yey.

However, it turns out the wirless card in my pc (Netgear WG311v3) is a pile of old shit (I should have known, considering the fact when I last used it I had to place my router ON TOP of my case to get 1 bar of signal. (Plus, I think it dosen't work with windows 7 anyway, after spending a good few hours taking it out and plugging it back in again).
Stupid old houses only have one phone line socket.

So I will have to by something to make my PC connect up to wireless. the range is probably about 10 metres diagonally to my router (a BT homehub 3). Am I safe to buy one of those Belkin 'n' USB adapters? (I know N is the best wireless network jobby thing)

I only really use the net for SC2 and probably Diablo 3 when it comes out, so as long as Im not fudging myself over using one of these then I'm not too fussed, I don't do a lot of DL'ing anyway so top DL speed isn't a real issue.

thanks in advance :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
N denotes a certain wireless standard dude, just read "speed" when you see N anywhere. doesn't give any kind of quality guarantee. If you have to go through several walls and have reasonably modern electrical wiring in the house you may want to consider powerline for minimum hassle and a lack of cables. I'm not acquainted with BT's kit, but sadly do know that some wireless stuff plays better together than others. If no one here knows, perhaps best to invest some google time on BT homehub best wireless adapter or words to that effect.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Thanks Tdc. They seem to mention the Belkin N adapters on their site shop. the connection has to go diagonally down 2 walls/a floor.

Those powerline connectors, do they act as like a relay between hub and pc? Surely I would still need a wireless adapter anyway?
So much easier if I bought a 20 metre ethernet cable and my 1 year old daughter didn't eat things like that. Ugh.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Unless you're in the same room as the router, most wireless is utter shit. Powerline is 100000x better.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
so Powerline is;

Home hub in living room (Only phone line)
>
Powerline adapter in bedroom with PC
>
Ethernet cable from adapter to PC?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You plug a power line adapter into the hub with a ethernet cable and then into the mains, get another powerline adapter in your room with an ethernet cable that goes from it to your pc .

Tilda

Any recommended power-line adaptors from ebuyer?

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Ive bought a shitty usb adapter for now and will get a powerline adapter soon, I think. As long as Ive got net, Im not too fussed atm.
Would be nice to have a good recommendation for a powerline like Tilda said though.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm using netgear, it does what it says on the tin.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm looking into Powerline as a possibility for network connectivity instead of trailing 15m of cat6 around the skirting.
I do however think the need for 1Gbps is a higher priority in my lounge than the convenience of using the existing cabling at 200Mbps.

My suggestion is to get passthrough adapters if you go with powerline. That way you're not taking up a plug. It's all well and good to hook up your PS3 or PC through powerline, but not much good if you can't turn it on. :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You can run them off a multi np so it's probably cheaper to go multi than it is to get a passthrough version.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've always found running them of a multi hit and miss, surge protection circuits mess with them. You'll get a worse speed and drop outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom