Winter. Snow. Your get-up?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I realise that the UK etc island peeps might not have this issue, but up here in the land of snow and polar bears, getting dressed for outside is a bit of an issue. Unless you want to bring home a pair of frozen plumbs and store your nose in a ziplock bag :p

My get up has evolved over the years and here's the gear i use to get out and about;

Boot-style-shoes - Anything really that can stomp away through the snow.
Socks are just socks, warm enough boots do the trick.
Longer underwear is optional, but mmm it's nice to have a pair of longies under the regular jeans.

Upper body is the main thing here, and here's the setup for that, from bottom layer to top;

Shirt (T or other)
Hoodie (zipped up)
Scarf that goes under the hood in a fashion that you can ninjamask yourself.
Cap under the hood.
Hood on.
Leather jacket(waist, zip up).
Lift scarf to cover face.

Nice and toasty and tested in a windy snowstorm, didn't feel a pinch :D

If it's a really good storm, i also put on clear sunglasses to actually see sh*t.

Gloves ofcourse added and all ready to go.

Dressing up takes about 10 secs more then usual, undressing even less.

How about the rest of you snowtrotting folk?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
In London, we get snow once maybe twice a year, and at most, 3-4 cm on the ground, so not really an issue...but being a motorcyclist, I know how cold it gets at 80kmph at sub-zero windchill...if I have to go out I'd wear

legs:

long johns
thermal trousers
snowboarding trousers
kevlar impact protection trousers
waterproofs

upper body:

2 x long sleeve t-shirt
thin but warm sweater that zips up under my chin
thin thermal jacket
motorcycle protective jacket
2nd hand waterproof ex-police jacket (obviously with the "police" words on the back & front removed)

2 pairs of gloves
balaclava
helmet

jesus - sounds like a DAOC template :D

nice & toasty for about 4/5 hours then then cold will get to me

takes ages putting it on & getting it off lol

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
forgot to mention 2 pairs of socks (regular + thermal long ones) + m/c boots

on my old bike I had turcano urbano muffs for the handlebars - practically stopped all windchill - they were superb

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Only -4 here atm so just my normal winterjacket unzipped. Start using something on me head when its down below -10 and perhaps a pair of gloves then aswell.

Last winter when it was -20 ½m snow and no wind is the weather i like, clear crisp air to clear the lungs in the morning. :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Leather Jacket which I wear anyway.
Jeans
Caterpillar walking boots

Swap jeans for work trousers and Cat walking boots for Cat work boots for when going to work.

Cat boots are the only brand I am fussy about, they really are the best for steel toe shoes (which I have to wear at work)

It's not that cold ffs

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's not that cold ffs

Yeah, that's what a lot of foreigners say when they come to the colder countries.

Then, oh look, hour later the cold creeps up ;)

I don't doubt it's all warm and lovely over in the UK though :p

Fafnir; I prefer to wintersuit up and be warm, then be a "bit cold". I could handle the cold with just a T on, but it's silly to do so ;)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Hawaiin shirt.
Loud shorts.

There's a very very old joke floating around the intarwebnets about Scottish clothing for winter. Though its been changed and applied to many nationalities, no idea what the original was :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i got my wooly hat, wooly scarf, wooly jumper over another (cotton) jumper, t-shirt, jeans, some highly erotic (not) long johns, double socks, and some boot style shoes with furry lining

and yes i am a wimp, frankly i struggled with the cold in Dublin, this whole Finland experience (and im in the south, i shudder to think what its like up north) is a bit of a challenge

though i have become adept at sliding my way to work

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Had to buy a hat and gloves this morning, its too cold cycling to work at 7.30am without them.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I was hoping to see one of you old timers say something along the lines of "its good to see that not ask students are useless layabouts", but instead I get called a ponce. :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well I shaved my hair ultra short, so a hat is essential. Gloves for early morning driving, and walking during the day.

I'm doubling the socks 1 pair + one pair of ankle socks over them.

If it gets really cold then I'll probably do the jogging bottoms under trousers / jeans thing.

Was thinking about getting some kind of thermal vest / body armour type thing as it's bloody cold at 6am in the morning.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
this whole Finland experience (and im in the south, i shudder to think what its like up north) is a bit of a challenge

though i have become adept at sliding my way to work

Well the good news is that it's just the start and it'll reaelly hit in jan-feb ;)

The slidey thing is awesome, always feels like(when you're about to fall) that you're snapping a leg, twisting your back or some such :p

Isn't that just 'glasses'?

Didn't have a better word for it, but the kind of sunglasses that give a bit of suncover, but don't darken the view.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
Well I shaved my hair ultra short, so a hat is essential. Gloves for early morning driving, and walking during the day.

I'm doubling the socks 1 pair + one pair of ankle socks over them.

If it gets really cold then I'll probably do the jogging bottoms under trousers / jeans thing.

Was thinking about getting some kind of thermal vest / body armour type thing as it's bloody cold at 6am in the morning.

Jogging bottoms under jeans, your in Southern England man, pull yourself together!

I went out last night with my jeans, t-shirt and this grey double breasted military coat - coats - coats / jackets - men - River Island
awesome coat of warmth on and survived, mind the beers probably helped with that too!

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
last year my season for flash gordons was september-may, this year ive used them 3 times. I do however use an autum jacket with a hoodie inside as jacket. then just them damn mittens, i do love my mittens, have had them for at least 3 years, maybe more but they are faaaaar better than your average gloves

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Okay, I'm obviously a freak.

I just wear what I normally wear any other time of the year, with the addition of a fleece jacket. I might change my shirt for a heavier polo top for colder days.

I don't own gloves, hats, scarves or "cold weather" clothing because I only spend a few moments outside at a time. Shops and the car are relatively warm places.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Got crampons, ice axe etc for Munro bagging in the winter. But out and about normally? Just my my long winter coat and occasionally a hat.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
-5 tonight here they reckon, gonna have to wrap up extra warm as I can not afford my back to kickoff at the moment.

Everz

FH is my second home
Hope it snows here, fucking iced up in Cheltenham atm.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
-5 tonight here they reckon, gonna have to wrap up extra warm as I can not afford my back to kickoff at the moment.

Owwww! I totaly forgot about my hernia in the back till it started freezing again :(

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Woke up in the middle of the night puking my guts out thought i had caught the flu, then i remembered i had slipped on a patch of ice yesterday goin home from work, looked down at my foot and its so swollen, the ankle is the size of my thigh, bout to go to the hospital now.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ouch :( hope its not too bad! (though it sounds pretty nasty!)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Fracture to the foot joint with additional ligament damage, still to swollen so they cannot assess the damage, have to go back in on tuesday and hopefully the swelling will have gone down so they can see if i need an operation or not, but the brightside, really cute doctor :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
aargh hope you heal up soon matey :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom