Windows XP & Startup

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Guys,

Friend of mine has Windows XP and just recently its started playing up with him.

When the Windows XP Welcome screen is up, it provides a choice of what user to log on as. However, at this point, he cannot select ANY of the users.

I know the problem isnt very descriptive - ive tried searching for similar problems without much success. Im gonna go round and check it out, but want an idea of where to start looking.

Any offers?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Laz

Your best bet, to start with, would be to try and boot in safe mode (F8 on boot, usually). Secondly, when you say he can't select any users, does this mean he cannot move his mouse or select them with his keyboard etc.? You may want to check both items are firmly plugged in. Otherwise, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey Lazzer,

Can he not select due to the fact that the mouse pointer will not move? Or that the keyboard isnt functioning? Are either of these devices USB?

I occasionally have problems with my USB keyboard not working after a crash and have to fit a PS2 one until I get a decent boot, then refit the USB jobbie.

Just a thought.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Wow, the dedicated team work and double-posting that is the TechNation team ;)

Just one little point to add to what's already been said: If the mouse is the problem, you should be able to select users using either the arrow keys, or <tab>. This should cycle between them.

There's also a slight possibility that you might be able to get the "traditional" login screen up, try pressing <Ctrl+Alt+Del> on the welcome screen. This used to work, though I have a feeling that it doesn't any more. To login from here you need to username of the user to get in (and note that this may be different from the displayed name of the user account on Welcome).

Finally, if it's USB peripherals then you should be able to unplug/plug them on the welcome screen and have them reinstalled without having to reboot. Again, this is a bit touchy but it could offer up something if you swapped the mouse into a different USB port.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Shovel said:
There's also a slight possibility that you might be able to get the "traditional" login screen up, try pressing <Ctrl+Alt+Del> on the welcome screen. This used to work, though I have a feeling that it doesn't any more.

It does, but you have to hit the ol' 3-key combo twice..

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
.Wilier. said:
Cmon Laz, we need feedback???
He's such a bloody slacker, all these responses within 45 minutes and yet he's buggered off, working or somesuch? heh.

Xav

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Sorry guys.

The guys in the middle of studying for exams so I havent been able to visit yet. Should be later this week/early next week.

Apparently the problem sometimes lets you in!!!

And you should know me better than to think I wouldnt come back and provide feedback!!!! Shame on you!

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Sure he hasn't just got a wireless setup with VERY flaky batteries? ;)

Bet you when you get round there it works every time :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom