[Windows XP] File Associations + Command Line arguments

Discussion in 'Techie Discussion' started by Shovel, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Shovel

Shovel Can't get enough of FH

Fairly simple one I hope.

I run Perl on my system for uber scripting purposes (I haven't got around to learning vbs), and for ages have just had ".pl" associated with Perl.exe. Today I wrote a script that actually takes command line arguments and discovered a problem. Through the association, the command line arguments don't get passed on.

If, alternatively, I run: "perl myscript.pl rah!" it will work though.

Does anyone know how to set up a file association that will pass on the command args automagically? Thank you :)

2. Shovel

Heh: Fixed already. I looked up the settings for .vbs files and copied it from there.

For reference then, the application assicated with my "Run" (or "Open") action now looks like:
    Code:
    E:\Win\Perl\bin\perl.exe "%1" %*
    The %1 refers to the file name of the script, while the %* (which I was originally missing) is critical as it passes on all additional command line args.

3. Shovel

I came across another little addition for this today.

If you add ".pl;" to your PATHEXT environment variable you can launch Perl scripts without adding the .pl extension at the prompt.