Windows Vista Network

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I think I posted a similar file sharing thread a while back but that was Windiws XP. We got it working with that ok but now this same guy's upgraded to Vista and it doesn't work right again. One computer can view and access all the shared files, but the other one can only view them and says access denied when you try and look at them.

I don't have Windows Vista myself, so I was hoping someone here might be mad enough to have installed it already and/or have an idea how to give both computers full access in Vista?

Thanks. :)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Vista's network is much better than XPs, however it is a different operating system and some things have changed.

First of all, he needs to share the directories/files. That's same as normal, right click the folder, share.

Tell him to type "Everyone" in the box and click add. Give them "Reader" access.

However Vista defaults that all network shares must be accessed by someone with a login on the local computer for security. You need to turn that off.

Goto the Network and Sharing Centre. Expand the "Password protected sharing" bit and turn it OFF.

Once it is off anyone will be able to access a share over the network, remote users can the same rights that "Everyone" has.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Read somewhere today that there is a bug that means you can't rename a file on a networked PC in Vista

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Mmm not tried it that way round. I can create/edit/delete/rename etc. from my Mac to my Vista PC.

I.e. Mac can rename the files on Vista. Not tried other way around though.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow - I gave up on it today.

Also there's a few programs that it wont let me delete. In particular AVG anti virus doesn't work anymore so I was trying to uninstall it and reinstall it again, but Vista wont let me no matter what method I try - ie via control panel, or via the AVG installer.

I'm guessing this is to do with some kind of permission, only it tells me it's unistalled it even when it's clearly done nothing of the sort. I'm sure Vista is great once you get used to it, just a slightly different way of operating. I'm glad I don't work in IT though at some huge office that's decided to switch to Vista. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom