Windows Vista is useless!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Mazling

It's true that a lot of Vista's features can be emulated in Windows XP; that's why it's still 'good enough' for many people. Of course some things cannot be recreated so easily, and there is something to be said for having native solutions rather than a myriad of third-party applications. Still, interesting program, thanks for the tip!

If anyone else has similar things, please feel free to post them.

Kind regards

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye, but don't forget there's a lot more to it than those gimmicky graphical features.
Quite like Dreamscene which I've started using on my laptop (and have hacked it to run on my Home Premium desktop) though. Bit different to the usual static wallpapers :)

And of course DirectX 10. The difference in graphics are noticable. Subtle, but noticable :) That is the ONLY thing stopping me from going back to XP mind.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Does anyone actually use the window-tab functionality, alt-tab is a damn sight quicker

nath

Fledgling Freddie
And of course DirectX 10. The difference in graphics are noticable. Subtle, but noticable :) That is the ONLY thing stopping me from going back to XP mind.

In what games? I've not seen many out there that make much of a difference...

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Definitely noticed it in Bioshock. The water effects were much better, although it was pretty subtle.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
pretty, but useless. I don't use it. but then I like UAC, so m00 ;)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I like the live thumbnail views you get of the open programs in vista...its quite nice to see if somethings changed without having to open the program fully

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
I like the live thumbnail views you get of the open programs in vista...its quite nice to see if somethings changed without having to open the program fully
Me too :) Plus because it's real-time you can minimize movies while you're reading etc.

As for Flip 3D, I must confess I didn't really use it (and by Microsoft's own admission, it was only added quite late on because it was visually unique). If you have a Microsoft mouse, Intellipoint actually installs an Expose-like alternative which mixes Alt-Tab's simplicity with Flip 3D's real-time previews. Personally I prefer this, but each to their own :)

Kind regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
In what games? I've not seen many out there that make much of a difference...
True, there are not many titles that really take advantage of DirectX 10. That said, many of DX10's benefits are about making previously impractical effects more efficient. That's why some 'DX10' effects can be replicated using DX9 or OpenGL wrappers. Still, here's hoping developers continue to push the boat out (although hopefully not at the expense of Joe Public; some games are becoming unnecessarily demanding on hardware).

Kind regards

Embattle

FH is my second home
The main problem is that people are just too use to uing Alt-tab, thus the only way to of actually forced the issue was to make Flip active using Alt-tab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom