Windows Update Email

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Hi doods :)

I keep getting the same two email sent to my NTL account daily regarding 2 differnt subjects.

1) Windows update. This is to do with Outlook security and problems with is and has a flash Microsoft logo etc and it all looks legit, BUT the patch is a *.exe patch no I am worried about thsi beacuse of email number 2.

2) Email from postromm@aol.com Dunno who this is but has the same subject as "for you" and then in the text says undeliverd mail to kjhkjhkh@kjhkjh.com. It has an attechment *.exe.

Now when my outlook downloads my email it says a mail has a virus attached. But as these two both has attachements I dont know :(. Dont windows updates have *.msi as an extension?

Also how do I stop these from getting mailes to my NTL Account?

Will

/bin/su
Both emails are virus. Just ignore them and delete them. Get a secure email client (I like Thunderbird from Mozilla) and keep your AV software up to date. You can't stop them being sent, but tell everyone you know to get AV software, a firewall, and not to open attachments from people they don't know. If everyone does this, then there would be no more virii (?).

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Will said:
Both emails are virus. Just ignore them and delete them. Get a secure email client (I like Thunderbird from Mozilla) and keep your AV software up to date. You can't stop them being sent, but tell everyone you know to get AV software, a firewall, and not to open attachments from people they don't know. If everyone does this, then there would be no more virii (?).

Good advice - I'd also look into NTL's mail service to see if they offer spam protection/av scanning or at least a set of mailbox filters.

Viruses, by the way :)

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Whats this Thunderbird? I use Mozilla and I think thats ace.

Will

/bin/su
It is Mozilla's own email client. The link I posted should tell you all you need to know.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If you have XP, enable automatic updates (right click my computer). Don't worry, it will only tell you if updates are available, and ask you if you want to get them.

Microsoft never send updates by email. Nobody does.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
and not to open attachments from people they don't know.

A lot of viruses spread by going through the Address Book, whether you know the person or not, don't open attachments.

I never send attachments, if it is text I put in directly into the e-mail (not an attached Word document), if it's a picture or something I push it onto my webspace and provide a link, if its a binary I put a URL to the original manufatcurers website or one of those download repositories.

If I could set my e-mail client to automatically delete from the server anything containing an embedded picture or having an attachment, I would, as 99% of them are spam and/or viruses.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the help guys :)

I will sort this when I get home from work.

*sigh*Its like one happy family helping each other :)

pgh

Fledgling Freddie
Family values :>

If your going to keep using Outlook or change to Thunderbird (Class client btw) each time you receive these shit emails its a tad easier to right click on em and set the address sent from as spam. Even if it is only AOL.COM mails. Know anyone on AOL? Allow there emails only to come through using a filter from the options somewhere. o.0

Another decent thing I spose is if you can, change your ntl email (allow any emails from known address's through only) and foward any mail to the new one. (Login to NTLWorld.com and add mailbox). Dunno, worked for me after 2 years of using the same NTL one. The ammount of shit you sign up for etc kinda mounts up. ;)

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
If I sign up for anything it always goes to my hotmail account, unless its really important ie Subscriptions.

I will ahve a bash at that though thanks, and yes I do know a coupl of people on AOL and my younger brother Bless him installed AOL messenger sometime back on my PC :(

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Which version of Outlook is it? Everything since 2000 has blocked access to .exe files.

-- Actually no, there's a security update for Outlook 2000 which blocks out a lot of extensions. I'd suggest you check http://officeupdate.microsoft.com and update your Office instal. A lot of people don't know about Office Update, but it works in a very similar way to Windows Update, so open it in Internet Explorer for the update detector to work :)

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Is there a way I can export my address book from Outlook to the THunderbird one?

btw I am using XP Pro Shovel :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
xane said:
If I could set my e-mail client to automatically delete from the server anything containing an embedded picture or having an attachment, I would, as 99% of them are spam and/or viruses.

Outlook 2003 automatically blocks embedded image downloading (from within html messages), you can right click the images to manually download them, or add the sender to a 'safe sender list' in which case it will download the images automatically from that sender.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Darthshearer said:
Is there a way I can export my address book from Outlook to the THunderbird one?

btw I am using XP Pro Shovel :)

Any Ideas then? I am stuck :(

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
do you have all you address book as individual contacts?

in outlook you can export the Contacts folder to a specified file format. You may get one that is compatible with thunderbird

Athan

Resident Freddy
xane said:
A lot of viruses spread by going through the Address Book, whether you know the person or not, don't open attachments.

Indeed, so you can't just say "don't open attachments from people you don't know". Best advice is "don't open any attachment you weren't expecting". If you do receive such, without the body of the email being EXPLICIT about what it is in such a manner that you are 99+% sure it's genuine ("Here's that proposal about the deal with Company Foo we talked about on the phone whilst you were in the pub yesterday." main bit there is the 'Company Foo' being something you ARE working on...) then do NOT open it, but ASK the person by phone or whatever if they DID send it.

You can't just say "don't use attachments" as too many semi-computer-literate people have them as the only means of transferring files around.

-Ath

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
I have now got Thunderbird and I quite like it :)

The problem is I am still getting those blooming emails through :(

Will

/bin/su
You'll still get the same emails with Thunderbird, but your chances of catching something nasty are reduced.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Ahhhhh cool, so if I choose them as junk, everytime I get them will it slap them in as junk?

Will

/bin/su
Eventually. It takes Thunderbird a little while to learn what is and isn't junk.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
I just thought I would let you guys know (not like you botherd) about Thunderbird and the problem I had with my contacts, well I have sorted it :)

If any of you want to know how, this is how:-

I think this only works if you have already got Outlook or Outlook Express, Eudora set up with a list of contacts!

Anyway here we go.
Open Thunderbird and then Files --> Import --> Address Book --> Choose Type --> Voilet :D

Easy Pearsey Lemon Squeesy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom