Confused Windows Server CAL Licenses (Amazon EC2)

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
I'm trying to sort out requirements with our IT department and this Microsoft licensing is driving me a bit nuts (is it just me or is it actually a bit odd?). We've currently got a server (Amazon EC2) running Windows Server 2008. With the default licenses, we've got the ability to have 2 x users logged in Simultaneously via Remote Desktop in order to access our SAP installation (SAP licenses will be handled separately, this post mainly concerns the MS licenses). We want to expand this to have a few more users logged in so I've had a look at what I would have thought would be the required licenses and figured it'd be straightforward.

On the attachment (p.30), I see a 5-CAL Remote Desktop Services license pack for $749 (WTF 5 x 1 is more expensive than an individual CAL x 5?)

Would that be all I'd need license wise? Or would I need to increase the number of Windows Server 2008 licenses as well? In theory, we could have 2+5 (that's 7 for you special ones out there) users connected to the same server which is where the Server 2008 license question arises. If that was the case, it'd be 5 x RDP and 5 x Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Licenses right? Being Amazon EC2, is there an easier way to get the licenses done?

I figured we'd also have to increase our server requirements from Amazon. Currently the specs sit at:

Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.40 GHz
3.75 GB RAM

which can sometimes feel a bit sluggish if the other user is running some retarded report. Should I bother requesting for the specs to be raised? If so, to what?

I don't administer any of these servers/installations but the ones that do aren't sure of what is even installed (yes.)

Attachments

• Windows Server System Center and Forefront Pricing and Licensing Guide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Naw man, that's bs. A rds CAL is cheap, you're looking at max 30 USD per CAL. They're generally 15 USD, iirc.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Check with a software vendor, tell them your requirements and get them to quote you up. Alternatively, microsoft are quite helpful on this stuff, as they want you licencesed

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Check with a software vendor, tell them your requirements and get them to quote you up. Alternatively, microsoft are quite helpful on this stuff, as they want you licencesed

This.

Also, I didn't even realise you could have more than 2 people connected to the same server over RDP (At the same time) - Awkward.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This.

Also, I didn't even realise you could have more than 2 people connected to the same server over RDP (At the same time) - Awkward.
The two RDP licences per server are generally for the administration of said server (and are included with the server licence, obviously still need the two client CALs). In order to increase that figure you need to install Remote Desktop Services and purchase additional CALs.

soze

I am a FH squatter
This.

You can make it a Terminal Services server, thats the difference between cheap user CALs and the TS CALs which I think are around £300 for 5 at the cheap end of the scale.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Mmm, ta Deebs and soze - I generally just force boot people off servers if they're in my way, very rarely have I had to go onto a server with more than 1 person on it. Didn't actually know it was a CAL issue (Something to remember I guess!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom