Windows Server 2003/New Server

Vae

Resident Freddy
Persuaded company I work for to upgrade the server but I have a few questions regarding Windows Server 2003 I hope someone might be able to help me with :)

The server's used for file storage and for an accounting package (IRIS) which appears to use an SQL database. I assume that since this programme uses an SQL database that we would need Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium edition. Is that correct? (advantages according to Dell at bottom of post).

If we've got a firewalled router do we need the advantages of the ISA server etc?

Regarding CAL's is there a control built in regarding how many computers can connect to the server i.e. hypothetically if we're at max capacity on CAL's before being able to connect an additional computer would we have to buy an additional CAL to be able to do so or could we connect it then buy the CAL afterwards?

Regarding hardware is a second processor worth it? Thinking of going for a Xeon 3GHz with 2 80Gb drives in raid 1 mirroring. 2Gb Ram worth it? Dell's standard tape backup system worth it? Alternatives? Symantec vs Yosemite backup software?

Premium edition advantage according to DELL:
* ISA Server: Secure, distributed Internet access
* Routing and translation of the network addresses (NAT, Network Address Translation) with firewall service
* SQL Server 2000*: Powerful and secure relational database for running business applications
* Office FrontPage 2003: Environment for developing professional websites
* Environment for developing tailor-made solutions for Windows SharePoint services

* SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition as well as SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services not included

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Vae,

Firstly, the moment you migrate to Windows Server 2003 each client that connects to the server for any service on the server will require a Windows CAL. Period. I believe that you get 5 CALs in the base pack.

Then, you will need to buy either a per processor licence or SQL or SQL cals. The cutover point for SQL cals is around 200 users so unless your company is that big, go for SQL cals. I cannot remember if SQL server comes with any CALs so you need to check into that.

ISA server is just a firewall. If you don't have it now, you don't need it unless you are actively trying to implement better security models into your Company.

Windows doesn't stop unlicensed users from connecting, if just complains in the license service.

Additional processors are worth their weight in gold when it comes to SQL as parallalism comess into play so if you can afford it buy one. Also, ensure the server has 2gig of ram if you are running both file/print and SQL on the box.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Vae said:
Persuaded company I work for to upgrade the server but I have a few questions regarding Windows Server 2003 I hope someone might be able to help me with :)

The server's used for file storage and for an accounting package (IRIS) which appears to use an SQL database. I assume that since this programme uses an SQL database that we would need Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium edition. Is that correct? (advantages according to Dell at bottom of post).

If we've got a firewalled router do we need the advantages of the ISA server etc?

Regarding CAL's is there a control built in regarding how many computers can connect to the server i.e. hypothetically if we're at max capacity on CAL's before being able to connect an additional computer would we have to buy an additional CAL to be able to do so or could we connect it then buy the CAL afterwards?

Regarding hardware is a second processor worth it? Thinking of going for a Xeon 3GHz with 2 80Gb drives in raid 1 mirroring. 2Gb Ram worth it? Dell's standard tape backup system worth it? Alternatives? Symantec vs Yosemite backup software?

Premium edition advantage according to DELL:
* ISA Server: Secure, distributed Internet access
* Routing and translation of the network addresses (NAT, Network Address Translation) with firewall service
* SQL Server 2000*: Powerful and secure relational database for running business applications
* Office FrontPage 2003: Environment for developing professional websites
* Environment for developing tailor-made solutions for Windows SharePoint services

* SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition as well as SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services not included

Various things in terms of the hardware, id consider upping the storage, atlhoguh this will depend upon how much money you have. 80gb doesn't go particually far these days and doesn't allow much scope for partitioning. SQL is incredibly disc intensive. Do you know which model server dell are reccomending?

Another thing to consider. We recently did some testing comparing our dial 3ghx Xeon IBM beasts with a newer PendiumD model and in terms of SQL performance other factors the Pentium D actually overall outperformed the Xeon. It all depends on use and cost/benefit.

Personally i've not used SBS since the NT4 days so couldn't comment on it in comparison to 2003 standard. Blimey SBS premium is 50% more expensive than the full version of 2003 standard! Looking at it it's not worth it. The ISIS software should come with it's own distributred database engine as part of it's install. I wouldn't use this server as a firewall, it would be better if needed to buy a cheap hardware solution for less than the increase in price. It's all just fluff which, unless you have a specific use for it is just grabbing mroe cash from you.

I'd try to get as much ram as you can afford as well as SQL is quite memory intensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom