Windows Screen Resolutions

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
This is not a current issue I have, but a couple of times in the past Ive put togeter PCs for people and whilst Ive been sorting out the PC, Ive had the screen resolution set to something decently high.

However, when Ive taken the base unit around to their place and plugged it into their old monitors Ive found that it cant handle the resolution Ive previously had it at.

I can force a boot into safe mode which comes up nicely in the low res, but I cant see anyway to change the resolution for normal boot mode.

Is the resolution stashed away in a config file that can be changed manually? Ive had a peek in system.ini, boot.ini and win.ini but cant see it. The only way Ive ever been able to fix this problem is to plug the base unit into a monitor that can handle the resolution, then set it to something low.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Which OS are you installing on the machines?

Windows XP - in my experience - will automatically adapt the resolution to a default when it can't initiate the current setting.

Failing that, if changing the resolution in safe mode doesn't filter through to the main login, you could try removing the monitor from the device manger and let it be redetected on reboot, which should default the resolution to something low. If that doesn't work, do the same with the graphics card drivers. That will force the resolution down as it will use the Windows defaults. It shouldn't be that difficult to be honest.

Actually, the easiest option might be to just put the resolution down before you ship it to them?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Afraid that's the way you have to do it...

1024x768 is a safe bet for most screens these days, best to just leave them set at that and then give them a small guide to raising the resolution to suit their screen.

Xav

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
It was XP... you would have thought that 1024x768 was safe wouldnt you?

However, my father-in-law's old monitor could only handle 800x600! Its some dodgy 14" that came out of the arc and when it tried to boot on 1024x768 I was presented with some nice flashing lines and a high pitched squeal.

I pretty much remember to change the resolution down now before giving PCs to people, but just wondered if it was possible to hack a config file.. The removing the graphics drivers should do the job though. Ta.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
You don't alter the resolution in safe mode, you change the monitor to a "generic VGA" or something.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Or boot into VGA mode ;) which is what its really there for :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom