Windows Live Messenger "2011"

Gray

FH is my second home
My friend not long ago updated to it and found it to be totally shite, it seems they removed a load of the old decent stuff and filled it with useless bloated guff.

When he tried to uninstall it and go back to an older version of Live Windows kept blocking him.

I had to look around to see if there was any ways to completely remove trace of this 2011 version before eventually finding something on it. Lucky i always stick with versions i like unless im forced into change.

windows-live-messenger-2011-free-download.jpg

^ thats the main chat window, which apparently can't be downsized. Brrrr.

If i recall, things they removed from it where the ability to block people, and also removing customisable names - You have your real name shown at all times. Not long ago Blizzard did that with their RealID and it caused a massive shitstorm.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
eeeeer updated this earlier today, but have only just loaded it up. Man it's bloated and crap as fck, thank god i rarely use messenger anymore.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I saw Windows Live Essentials 2011 in my updates and thought "No, not having you". It got put into the "Don't bother me again" list.
159MB for a bunch of apps that I'll hardly ever use? Sod that.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The gallery programme is the only one of any worth whatsoever just for its bulk upload to website features. The rest are absolute donkey shit.

Pidgin is the way forward.

Syri

FH is my second home
I'd love to know how they got away with labelling that as a critical update, not an optional extra...

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It was marked as an optional update for me.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
From what I can see the new Messenger is the same size as the old one. The default is massive but you can shrink it down.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
press the switch to compact view and it's back to normal, with the added bonus you can now appear offline to everyone and then select a few ppl who you want to appear online to :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I avoided this update then I discovered that people running the new version have extreme difficulty communicating with people that don't upgrade, and vice versa, so you're pretty much forced to update it.

What a clusterfuck of shit interface programming. There is absolutely no excuse for poorly designed interfaces these days but somehow they managed to reduce the feature-set and make the control of what should be a simple (in terms of interface) piece of software something of a nightmare now.

Someone take the Windows Live interface team out and shoot them.

Gray

FH is my second home
Sneaky little fuckers it seems.

A few days ago i was using the Windows Movie Maker program, not even a week ago.

However when i went to run it earlier i found that i couldnt locate it. It seems it has been automatically removed now and i can't get it back.

Instead when i put movie maker into the search, it comes up prompting me to install the Windows Live 2011 pack. Bunch of arses.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I had to kill this I'm afraid, the intergrated facebook thing is just bloody annoying. I really don't need to know when people are logging in all the time.

Its almost as irritating as the messenger service was in XP when it was released.

There comes a point when intergration just becomes annoying.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
just press the button in my screenshot and you get normal msn back. It's really not tht hard, and you get rid of the fb shit until you press same button again.

Gray

FH is my second home
On any previous Live version to 2011, it seems Microsoft have disabled links from being displayed in chats. At first it was just one of my friends affected by it, but when i relogged i found i couldn't use hyperlinks either.

After a quick look around, i found that Microsoft disabled links today due to worms spreading... Which have been around since the dawn of time...

One has to wonder if they will re-enable links soon, or if this is another push towards WLM11

Gray

FH is my second home
Ah bumpage!

There was a work around to the URL problem not long after i made my last post, which re-enabled URLs in chat. A few days ago a friend said Microsoft re-enabled the URLs normally.

Today i sign out, when i re-logon i get a message forcing me to install 2011, if i refuse it doesn't sign me in.

Fuckers have forced it on us. Still haven't installed it yet though.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah pidgin ftw. Better logging. Better plugins. Got mine setup cross platform using 1 synced profile. It rocks!

Litmus

Resident Freddy
any idea why the piece of shit keeps randomly logging me out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom