Advice Windows install on SSD

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So I have bought myself a 128GB SSD which will be my Windows boot drive (Drive C: ).
Because it’s only a 128GB SSD I obviously need all my user and Program data on my regular 1TB drive (Drive D: ).

How do I get Windows to install all Programs and User stuff by default to the D: Drive? Some programs don't offer you the choice or they still shove stuff into Program Data folder.

Thanks!

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have always done it with Junctions?? using a command like below.

mklink /J C:\Users\soze D:\Users\soze

When you open C:\Users\soze it is actually opening D:\Users\soze, It works with Program files too so your Apps can still Install to C but get redirected to D. But then you would need to figure out how to install the Apps you want on C onto C by using C:\Programs\ or something.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I did it with junction points but really? you're worried on 128gb disk?

If you were tidy you could keep your user profiles and what not easily on a 64gb SSD. On 128 you will have NO problems. I went from 64 to 128 and moved everything back to the SSD with exception of my My Documents (easy, just move the library) and videos/music.
With shitloads of normal programs (office et al), shedloads of updates and what not, I've still got 50GB free. Don't be a plank! :)

I did use junction points with mklink on the 64gb unit but doing that with user profiles just slowed it down.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well I don't install loads of stuff but at present I am using this amount of data on my current HDD:

Windows 7 Folder:25GB
Program Files (x86): 58GB - I think most of that is due to Steam!!
Program Files: 500MB
ProgramData: 730MB
User\AppData: 5.6GB

Thats a total of around 90GB.

If I had to start installing more games etc that could easily get to the 128GB limit!

Can you get Steam to install to somewhere else??
I can't remember if it gives you the choice or not...If it does then I won't need to mess about!

Edit: Doing a quick Google search it looks like you can install Steam so it uses another drive other than C: which will work!

Then I just make sure all my Music/Videos/Photos etc are located on D:/ drive and Bob's your Uncle!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
just make your steam directory in d: you can do that in steam

Bahumat

FH is my second home
If thing go wrong just copy the steamapps folder. Uninstall steam, re-install on the D drive and launch it (so it creates the folder structure). Then exit steam and copy the contents of steamapps into the newly created steamapps folder

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What teedles said.

Just install as normal and then move the libraries to where you want them.

No junctions, no messing about, easy.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I didn't properly exam what was taking up all the space.

Now I know it's Steam I won't install that to SSD and just install windows as normal! No fuss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom