Windows 7

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Quite often Windows 7 is asking me to perform operations as an Admin... when I'm logged in as an admin already.

For example, I can't extract files from winzip - it says I may need admin privileges. However, when I drag/drop the files from winzip it works OK, albeit I'm given a prompt where I must press [Continue] in order to do it.

How can I stop these irritating prompts for transferring files etc? Anyone know? Had a good look around the Control Panel but can't find it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Is UAC on?

Go to control panal -> users -> uac iirc

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Control Panel > System Security > Action Center.

On the left click "Change user account control settings"

You'll get a new screen with a slider. Move it up or down to disired level.

Play about with it, see what setting suits your needs and remember its there to protect you so turning it off isn't something you should do lightly.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes its "User Accounts and Family Safety"-> "User Accounts" -> "Change User Account Control Settings"

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Play about with it, see what setting suits your needs and remember its there to protect you so turning it off isn't something you should do lightly.

LOL. It's there to protect muppets who need wrapping in cotton wool. Anyone with some common sense and a basic knowledge of computers and the net is perfectly fine without it.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
doze assessed you through the webcam and decided you were a muppet, Wazz :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Cheers, I'll pester you with other questions as I find them no doubt :D

Bob007

Prince Among Men
LOL. It's there to protect muppets who need wrapping in cotton wool. Anyone with some common sense and a basic knowledge of computers and the net is perfectly fine without it.

Yeah but its a polite way of saying "if you a muppet and get problems after it its not my fault" ;)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
To be honest it does't come up in Windows 7 unless you're doing something vaguely stupid, so you should probably investigate why what you're doing is causing UAC to bleat.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
To be honest it does't come up in Windows 7 unless you're doing something vaguely stupid, so you should probably investigate why what you're doing is causing UAC to bleat.

The default setting causes it to pop up when you want to install programs, I'd say that's pretty annoying.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
That's about the 1 time I do see it, although I don't install things very often so I can cope ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I was also getting that message simply copying files to a hard drive. We'll see if it continues! :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Not necessarily - maybe it was set to "I'm too stupid to use a computer, please harass me un-necessarily".

I would disable it altogether.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Anyone know how I can change the font sizes/settings for stuff a lá previous windows versions? E.g. changing fonts for active, inactive windows, colours, sizes etc.

Nevermind, found it. It's stupidly hidden away (Control Panel -> Personalization -> Window Colour -> Advanced Appearance Settings), not the most logical place to put it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom