Help Windows 7 install halp

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ok so I got a copy of Windows 7 Professional upgrade (64 bit) for about £40 which installed fine onto a new 1TB drive. I'm using it now, all spanky.

However, I had a problem with my product key and after some digging I realised it wouldn't accept the key because it didn't find a previous version of Windows installed. Now, I took out my 500 GB Vista disk drive because I didn't want any chance of breaking that - I plan to put the drive back in and copy all my files over manually.

Problem is, I had to choose not to enter the product key to get past the screen so I am now in the 30 day grace period. How can I get this install to recognise my Vista install or my genuine Vista install DVD? Adobe products used to work much better in that when you bought an "upgrade" version you had the choice of searching for a current install of a product, or to put the full version CD/DVD in a drive to verify you owned a previous version. I would have thought the muppets at Microsoft would have supported something similar?

Any ideas or help?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Can't be much help on that other than there never used to be a problem - I therefore wonder if they've changed the useful feature where you could install Windows 7, then install Windows 7 on top of it to allow the upgrade path to work ;)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
So just to clarify... Now that Win 7 is installed, you've tried:

(in this exact order)

Vista DVD in drive then after you're sure the system has recognised it, enter Win7 product key into the Win7?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Can't be much help on that other than there never used to be a problem - I therefore wonder if they've changed the useful feature where you could install Windows 7, then install Windows 7 on top of it to allow the upgrade path to work ;)

Thanks Kryten, that worked like a fucking treat!

I did a quick google before I saw your post and I did read a "install, then install again" tactic which I was in the process of trying when I picked up your post via my phone.

It accepted my product key and activated no problem.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ah - that wasn't actually a suggestion as I'd have thought it'd do exactly the same thing! Never mind, happy days ;) So they haven't fixed that then :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom