Windows 7 BETA

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Not seen them yet so here are the linkages.

32 bit EN DVD iso 2.4gig

64 bit EN DVD iso 3.2gig

Keys you can get from MS, they have problems atm but releases have grace period so not needed right away.

Also

MP3 files
When MP3 files are added (either manually or automatically) to either the Windows Media Player or the Windows Media Center library, or if the file metadata is edited with Windows Explorer, several seconds of audio data may be permanently removed from the start of the file. This issue occurs when files contain thumbnails or other metadata of significant size before importing or editing them. To avoid this, take the following steps:

To protect your MP3 files

1. Before you install this Beta release, back up all MP3 files that might be accessed by the computer, including those on removable media or network shares.
2. Install the Beta release of Windows 7; then install this update (KB961367).

Source, Technet plus.

Update and Problem applies to 32bit and 64bit.

Remember its a Beta and as such, treated as one. you'll have problems as everyone else will.

Kryten

Old Cow.
But more than likely less problems than some folks have with Vista ;)
It's a very solid and stable release, slightly surprisingly, takes half the installed space that Vista Basic does (this is Ultimate, remember!) and runs quicker than XP on most decent machines. Well worth a look for those with a little time and curiosity running spare.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
Been trying to get a download of this, but having issues. Will try again - looking forward to having a sneaky peaky

Kryten

Old Cow.
Best bet is to find a torrent for it, install without a key and you'll have 30 days of leeway until you can register with MS for a key :D

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
The main download keeps cacking out on me at around 400-500MB - feels like it just disconnects. Boo :S

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Got this running in vmware with just a gig of ram, seems to be faster than my main OS which is running the vmware client, OSX.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
32 bit image was stopping at about 300 - 400 mb on me a few times. Managed to get the 64 bit image no problems. This is one of the reasons MS has stopped issueing keys (had stopped ? not checked, just woke up, need tea :p)

Edit: Windows 7 keys avail from MS again.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

You need a live ID (msn loggin), click here and follow instructions, Key in on same screen as download button.

Kryten

Old Cow.
They are apparently just circulating the same few keys for each version, but I've not really looked into that to confirm it - so if all else fails, a) phone MS for a key or b) google round, there's a shedload of available keys.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Installed this on my old box because I'd wiped it the other week to turn into a NAS and hadn't bothered finishing.

Given the box is under spec for the beta I'm very impressed so far, other than the usual job of having to feed the installer my SATA card drivers (which was much easier than in the past), it installed very quickly, runs faster than XP and so far no noticable problems.

Will install some stuff over the next few days and see what happens next.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Few bugs that either I've noticed or I've been informed of by other people:

Older Vista geforce drivers will give a pale/out of gamma appearance in OpenGL software.
Games in Start Menu (windows games) can cause Explorer to crash or even BSOD
Some "issues" with Photoshop CS4
Slight performance issues with Crysis

Personally Crysis was the first game I installed to judge performance and it ran a little quicker than Vista here, so I can only guess there's a lot of driver work involved :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Sounds promising from what I hear, I hope there is a robust vista -> 7 upgrade path?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
From what I've seen Vista -> 7 is the _only_ upgrade path. It told me to fuck off when I tried it from XP straight up to 7. Perhaps M$ intended vista to be hated so they could coin it by getting everyone to buy this like magic fast stable version of windows?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
ok, this might be a stupid question, but i'm not that tech savvy, but does 7 run on XP or just Vista?

*waits for the flames*

dysfunction

FH is my second home
7 is a replacement/Upgrade of XP or Vista.

You can dual boot to Windows 7 if you have XP or Vista

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Or grab Virtual Box and run a virtual machine of windows 7 to test it out. Can even run a 64 bit version of Windows 7 in a 32 bit Windows XP host enviroment. (must have 64bit cpu) Love Virtual Box :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye, it's very good - and the 3rd passthrough works rather better than VMWare's does.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Or grab Virtual Box and run a virtual machine of windows 7 to test it out. Can even run a 64 bit version of Windows 7 in a 32 bit Windows XP host enviroment. (must have 64bit cpu) Love Virtual Box :)

I don't think Edmond would have a clue what you just said!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Syri

FH is my second home
Got windows 7 running on a dual boot with xp, impressed so far. Games performance seems as good as, if not better than xp, and for a beta, surprisingly stable so far. Had a few small issues getting some games to run with it, mainly due to .net and direct x not being fully backwards compatible. Once I got the older versions in there though, everything just went like it should. I'll probably be about ready for a new pc once win7 hits retail, and at the moment, I can definitely say I'd have no problems with that being my main OS on a new pc. Of course, there's still a lot of time for that opinion to change...

Bob007

Prince Among Men

Nice guide, had a quick glance over it. Don't know if it says anything about 64bit in 32bit host, but i had a problem first time round on installation with 64bit version. I set Virtual Box to other OS and it IDed as 32bit and refused to install. To get round that i changed the setting to 2008 server 64bit and it went in no probs. So if you have a problem saying its 32bit cpu on 64bit version, try that for a fix.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've done things properly and got it up and running in a VM in VMware Workstation. None of this poofing around with VirtualBox for me. Pretty impressed so far. Seems as speedy as the host OS (Vista) even running through the Virtualisation layer, i like the new interface and how easy it was to set up. I have a test ESX environment at work, I think that will be the next candidate to install it on.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
cant seem to get the website to work ? trying to get a key and it failing to authenticate live passport chibber. they run out or something ? :(

Bob007

Prince Among Men
cant seem to get the website to work ? trying to get a key and it failing to authenticate live passport chibber. they run out or something ? :(

Google one, As Kryten said earlier, looks like they issued same key many times, so just grab one of them and try activate it.

I've done things properly and got it up and running in a VM in VMware Workstation. None of this poofing around with VirtualBox for me. Pretty impressed so far. Seems as speedy as the host OS (Vista) even running through the Virtualisation layer, i like the new interface and how easy it was to set up. I have a test ESX environment at work, I think that will be the next candidate to install it on.

Have to agree VMware is better and a little faster then VirtualBox, But VB legaly free ;)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Google one, As Kryten said earlier, looks like they issued same key many times, so just grab one of them and try activate it.

Have to agree VMware is better and a little faster then VirtualBox, But VB legaly free ;)

So is VMware Server. I have a Workstation licence through work - if you do a lot of work with VMware, it's just as legally free :)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Can't get the bloody thing to install. It is mega slow to get to the actual installation and then most times it fails at Expanding Files... (0%). Once I have got it to 20-odd percent before it crapped out.
I've burnt 3 copies of the ISO with ImgBurn onto different brands of DVD and still no joy. It wouldn't be so bad if the fucker didn't take so long to get to the point where it fucked up. Entire evening wasted.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'd ask what system that was on, but would be strange on anything really WPKenny - installed it here on some fairly obsolete and weird bits of kit without issue. Got an unusual motherboard/hard drive controller perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom