Confused windows 10

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Hi, so i got this windows 10 get thingy in the notifications, does anyone actually got to update or is it just going to sit there and do nothing until something is ready on microsofts end?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Once you've registered it'll sit there till sometime around the end of July (29th I think?) when 10 is released then you'll get a notification to download and install.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, I am not overly sure whether the little icon thing serves any purpose really, except to say its coming soon or whatever.

It would be cool if it downloaded the files in the background in the lead up to release but I am not sure it does that either.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
What Shagrat said :p Windows 10 operating system itself will be 100% free, even if you don't have any legit copy of windows BUT the updates/major security updates will cost money (yes, pay for patches)

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm not sure I get microsofts position there, oh no you're stealing our software, we're going to punish you by uh making you pirate our software! again!

It's funny really.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah I own a win7 license but I frequently use naughty versions in VMs and on other boxes etc. The "free for pirates" thing would definitely have got me to go legit wherever I use Windows.

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm not sure I get microsofts position there, oh no you're stealing our software, we're going to punish you by uh making you pirate our software! again!

It's funny really.

They're not punishing, just not rewarding or patting them on the back?
Yeah, I agree the free upgrade would be a good move for them too... of course it would have to have a very small window to use, otherwise you could on each new rig just install a pirate and upgrade. Then again the legit upgrade is also available for one year only.

MS did however say they will have some very enticing offers for the pirated copies. It might be something like $15 we saw with Win8 launch, but now for pirated versions.

Yeah I own a win7 license but I frequently use naughty versions in VMs and on other boxes etc. The "free for pirates" thing would definitely have got me to go legit wherever I use Windows.

On VM's if you install the versions MS gives out, it just keeps saying you need to license but it never does anything about it.
Had three Win7 VM's running for something like a year, and the .ISO's for them were via the MS website. This one: http://dev.modern.ie/tools/vms/
I use them for IE10/9/8 testing.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Lets just say my copy isn't legit but i still got the icon to showup, i was still wondering if its going to work.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Lets just say my copy isn't legit but i still got the icon to showup, i was still wondering if its going to work.
Same for me on one of my "other boxes" (I don't currently have any Windows VMs on the go so can't check that). I mean, my "other box" version is activated and "genuine" so I don't know how they're going to police it.

What I'd like to be able to do is download it once for a household worth of computers. I can do without downloading 3GB per (legit) PC. I understand that after you upgrade to Win 10 you will have an iso that can be used for a clean reinstall but I also understand that each "free" download is locked to a specific system and if you significantly change said system (new mobo, cpu, ram etc) then you might run into problems when you come to reinstall.

Last edited:

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
I understand that after you upgrade to Win 10 you will have an iso that can be used for a clean reinstall but I also understand that each "free" download is locked to a specific system and if you significantly change said system (new mobo, cpu, ram etc) then you might run into problems when you come to reinstall.

If you upgrade your rig over that threshold, whatever it is, the activation will almost certainly work via automatic phone activation. So this is done after the online activation fails.
I have done this probably tens of times in the past with other Windows versions, hence the almost certainly part.
Each country has their own automated phone activation number, and the process is really easy.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah I ran into that hurdle, its annoying but can be fixed.

So long as I can get a bootable USB win10 stick I will be happy.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Legit copy of windows 8.1 only cost £20 from g2a. I bought it last month in preparation for windows 10.

First os I've bought since I got stung £160 buying vista on the day it got released.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

It's funny really.
You can guinea pig it if you don't want to pay as I understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom