Advice Windows 10 activation

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So at some point I'm going to want to upgrade my computer. It's nearly 5 years old now and while and upgraded GPU will do in the mean time, it's starting to show its age. Regarding my OS. I've got Win10 on my computer, which was activated using an OEM key from Kinguin. Cheap enough at around £20 since it can only be used with one Mainboard. I had a look at the microshite site and it again says that the key can only be used with one PC. Does that mean I'd need to buy a new licence every time I got a new board?

This seems like absolute robbery considering it's £220 to buy a Win10 Pro licence direct from Microsoft.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It says you need to re-activate after changing hardware, I don't see anything about needing a new key (it actually says you need the original key to enter after you've changed the hardware).

Embattle

FH is my second home
It seems in practice it is largely based on how much hardware you change.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
You can change as much as you like but as @Embattle says if you change too much at once you may have to call up M$ support for them to re-activate the key (or maybe to provide a new one for free)

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I might have to call M$ anyway. I just remembered that I activated Win10 with a Win8 seriel when it was free to upgrade. Not sure it would still activate it with a change of hardware.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I might have to call M$ anyway. I just remembered that I activated Win10 with a Win8 seriel when it was free to upgrade. Not sure it would still activate it with a change of hardware.
I've found it doesn't seem to care that much when I've had to re-activate these days. Valid licence registered against M$ account and it doesn't seem to throw up many issues.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
If you're just a regular user, Windows 10 is fine.

However, it keeps resetting firewall rules after every major rollup, together with app permissions - kinda aggravating. Should probably export yours and keep safe somewhere, then just import after they get fcked up.

Cortana services also get re-enabled, together with telemetry, post patching. Uphill battle of keeping it the way you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom