Advice Windows 10 activation

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
A couple of years ago I bought a laptop that had Windows 8 on it. I hate Windows 8 so I promptly formatted it and put Win7 on there. However it's about due for a format and I want to put Windows 10 on it. However, it's not genuine copy of 7 so I can't just upgrade.

I know you can use a genuine 7 or 8 serial to activate 10 and the serial for 8 is in the BIOS so would Windows 10 activate using that serial?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
A couple of years ago I bought a laptop that had Windows 8 on it. I hate Windows 8 so I promptly formatted it and put Win7 on there. However it's about due for a format and I want to put Windows 10 on it. However, it's not genuine copy of 7 so I can't just upgrade.

I know you can use a genuine 7 or 8 serial to activate 10 and the serial for 8 is in the BIOS so would Windows 10 activate using that serial?

Not sure if they still do it, I think the 'free upgrade' was a period of time, should google it.

I know there was Windows 7+8 keys being sold for like less than a tenner and was advertised as a 'windows 10 key'

Access Denied

Not sure if they still do it, I think the 'free upgrade' was a period of time, should google it.

I know there was Windows 7+8 keys being sold for like less than a tenner and was advertised as a 'windows 10 key'

I've been looking at buying a key. However I found a program that reads the bios stored serial and displays it on the screen so I'm all good. It is still running too. Well, it was as of two days ago when I installed it on my PC.

Gwadien

I've been looking at buying a key. However I found a program that reads the bios stored serial and displays it on the screen so I'm all good. It is still running too. Well, it was as of two days ago when I installed it on my PC.

Oh, you're trying to used a pirated CD key?

Should work yeah, I think I did that on someone elses PC.

Access Denied

Oh, you're trying to used a pirated CD key?

Should work yeah, I think I did that on someone elses PC.

No, I'm trying to use the Windows 8 serial that came with my laptop. That particular serial is stored in the BIOS and the program I found reads it and displays it on the screen.

Gwadien

No, I'm trying to use the Windows 8 serial that came with my laptop. That particular serial is stored in the BIOS and the program I found reads it and displays it on the screen.

Hmm.

If you reinstall Windows 8, yes, it should work.

If you try and do it whilst you're on 7, it might be like lol, this isn't the key you are looking for.

My suggestion (If you're against another format) is to have a go with your 7 key, then you'll have to format and reinstall Windows 8.

Again though, I'm unsure if they still let you do the upgrade.

Syri

FH is my second home
You can install windows 10 using the windows 8 key, without installing windows 8 first. I've never heard of getting the key from the bios, they're usually on a sticker on the bottom, but long as you get it from somewhere, that works. I'd probably advise wiping the drive first though, then re-boot with the install disc/usb in, to make sure it doesn't try to upgrade the windows 7 install.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
What program was it? We got a new pc with the code for win 10 in the bios and having it written somewhere would be safer imo.

Access Denied

What program was it? We got a new pc with the code for win 10 in the bios and having it written somewhere would be safer imo.

It's This one.

Hmm.

If you reinstall Windows 8, yes, it should work.

If you try and do it whilst you're on 7, it might be like lol, this isn't the key you are looking for.

My suggestion (If you're against another format) is to have a go with your 7 key, then you'll have to format and reinstall Windows 8.

Again though, I'm unsure if they still let you do the upgrade.

While I don't wish to appear rude, are you even reading what I'm writing? I've already said the copy of Win7 on there is not genuine. It's been activated by the Daz activator, so I already know it won't work.

I've already got the Windows 8 serial from my BIOS. I've got Windows 10 on a USB stick and I don't need to worry about it trying to upgrade the Win7 install because I'm swapping my current drive out for an SSD before I install Windows.

Also, as I've already stated, though not precisely I'll grant you. Microsoft are still letting you upgrade for free as of two days ago when I installed Windows 10 on my PC.

Gwadien

Sorry, i'm pretty high.

I thought you were saying that you had Windows 8 - Legit, but you got rid of it for a cracked version of Windows 7.

So basically is your question will the Windows 8 CD Key world for Windows 10?

If so, if not, I'll stop replying because I'm clearly getting confused.

Access Denied

Sorry, i'm pretty high.

I thought you were saying that you had Windows 8 - Legit, but you got rid of it for a cracked version of Windows 7.

So basically is your question will the Windows 8 CD Key world for Windows 10?

If so, if not, I'll stop replying because I'm clearly getting confused.

Haha. Ok I'll make it as clear as possible.

Legit copy on Windows 8 came installed on the laptop.

Formatted and put cracked copy of 7 on there.

I know the Windows 8 key will activate Windows 10.

My questions was, would the Windows 10 installer read the Windows 8 key stored in the BIOS. It's a moot point now anyway as I've got the key written down :)

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Depending on the 7 crack, Win 10 might just activate. It did for me.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
you can buy legit windows 10 cdkeys from key websites for like £13

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom