Win-amp 5's coolest feature

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i discovered in WA5's options the other day that i could make it semi transparent...

but thats not all, it also fades to 100% alpha on hover or focus...

its a fairly useless feature but oh so cool...

EDIT: this made me smile...

winamp.com said:
Most things actually work!

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
wyrd_fish said:
i discovered in WA5's options the other day that i could make it semi transparent...

but thats not all, it also fades to 100% alpha on hover or focus...

its a fairly useless feature but oh so cool...

EDIT: this made me smile...
my fave features are the keyboard shortcuts, alt+f4 being the most 'l33t' of all :)

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I've found Winamps "separate windows" layout a bit niggley of late. It feels dated. I know that's not an issue not to recommend it, but just my taste.

I'm torn at the moment between that fact that WA5 has more/better features than iTunes, and that iTunes is lovely. Not an easy call.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Shovel said:
I'm torn at the moment between that fact that WA5 has more/better features than iTunes, and that iTunes is lovely. Not an easy call.
*ahem*

iTunes > *

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
I dislike I Tunes handling of its media library. Besides i have a cool retro wa5 skin that makes it look like a reel to reel tape recorder :) look at the wheels spinnnnnn

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
You seem to all be missing the most important feature - winamp5 has p0rn :clap:

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Xavier said:
*ahem*

iTunes > *
I disagree. iTunes is excellent, but many of the user interface decisions are baffling: No button (since 4.2) for the "Mini Player", double clicking a playlist RENAMES it, double clicking a playlist icon opens it in a NEW WINDOW, to actually play the bloody thing it takes two clicks in notably different screen positions.

Media Library is excellent, which is why I continue to use it. The drag and drop functionality is also outstanding, but there are some remaining "little things" that I find mind numbing.

I also get the impression that the Plug-Ins structure is not great either. While I have picked up some feature plug ins (MPlugin is worth particular mention) iTunes continues to detect them as Visualiser plug-ins. It strikes me that Apple want it locked down, which is a crying shame, since it will probably restrict the addition of new features and audio format support without Apple's consent.

Additionally, it's designed soley for people who will only use iTunes for thier music needs - absence of an "Automagically monitor media library" (which WA5 does have) is also irritating.

The final niggles I have are further failures on the part of user control. I can't define how the MP3 encoder names files, nor what physical directory structure it puts them. Similarly, nice though the option to set the "type of CD" to burn, it would be far nicer to have the choice of "Audio CD/MP3CD/DataCD" appear on a per disk basis, than letting you change it the 'long' way, and then forget to change it back. If I can do it, I fear for "average users".
Then there are other issues, such as: Nowhere does the it inform me that choosing the "Organise my iTunes media library" option will rename my fucking files! Years of getting them all named with complete information (Artist - Album - Track Number Track) undone by the bastard program in one foul swoop.

So there we go, yes iTune is nice. Yes it has the best media library I've so far come across. Yes it has very nice Smart playlists. No it is not > *.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Although I am slowly becoming a rather proud Apple whore, I do prefer Winamp. And the default skin for WA5 rocks your socks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom