Will we ever see free-moving horses?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I remember when i first picked up the daoc box in a store (cheered on by Fatbelly - ill never forgive you for leading me into this addiction ;) ) and there was a screenie on the backside showing a celt with a spear (or a lance i thought) riding on a horse in the dusky evening. I thought it looked awesome and was looking forward to riding my own horse in the game. When i found out they were just a bus-service i was a little disappointed, but it didnt bother me that much since i was already hooked by then^^

Since then ive heard that free-moving player mounts were in the works at some point but apparently the idea was then scrapped.
I dont know why that was, or if it was indeed ever more than just an idea, but if it wasnt abandoned because of technical limitations then i would love to see this as the next feature to be worked on after the rvr expansion.
Just imagine the impact of cavalry on RvR :D

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Well when I bought DAoC I imagined that my arrows would hit things, and I had to wait more than a fucking year for that.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I felt a bit let down when I found out that they were more or less "Taxis" taking you from A-B without you being able to control them. I like being able to go away and get a drink whilst my character travels but I'd prefer to have free moving horses and UO style Gate/recall spells to move around.

Lox - I always wanted flame arrows, hope they do something like that for boat combat. Unlikely though and fumbling a flaming arrow might be amusing :p

Blondy

Fledgling Freddie
Lox you cracked me up IRL when i read that, and well free-moving horses is overpowered imho! it'd be good if you could have one in ur house and then zone into the normal world or SI world and ride around to exp spots etc :D roxor

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
Blondy said:
Lox you cracked me up IRL when i read that, and well free-moving horses is overpowered imho! it'd be good if you could have one in ur house and then zone into the normal world or SI world and ride around to exp spots etc :D roxor
Then give good rep. I am not a charity. :touch:

Lizz

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah i tought you could have a horse too.
Also disepointed it was A-B horses.
Givf a horse u can ride anywhere, but keep em in stable when u rvr ..imo.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Even if Mythic considered horses before, they are probably well out now. Let's face it, the Epic Quests are made to take ages and ages, running from A to D via N, back to B, off to Q, and so on...

With Housing, an Epic that would normally take forever now takes no time as there are teleporters to every place (well, apart from Lyonesse, but close enough) Normally, Lenthis (or however you spell the wizard school at Camp. Station) to Camelot or even Snowdonia used to take forever. Now, you pop out from Goth Harbour, hoof it to Caer Ulfwych, run to Camp Station, do your business (!!), then think "Right, now for Snowdonia" so you backtrack to Goth (Horse from CS to CU, horse from CU to CWS, jump at Adribards), nip through the portal, get ported to your house or guild house, use the porter to Snowdonia, job done.

Hmm, rambling,... No matter :) Horses capable of steering where you want would also mean getting though those scary places a piece of cake with no risk... Wanna go see the dragon? Horse right through, no problem...

(Of course, I add that I have been killed atop a horse three times in six months, so..... ;) )

Blondy

Fledgling Freddie
Loxleyhood said:
Then give good rep. I am not a charity. :touch:
Ok, i'll use my leet modz skillz ;)

i remember i started a Briton mage and killed loads of wolfs to get 5silver then i bought a horse and thought i could move around, i was dissapointed and tried asking for a refund!

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Just make the horses reasonably pricey (So that people below about 40th level probably don't bother - thus not affecting as many quests), then make the horses level 30-40 or so, so that anyone using one in a frontier or epic area (Dartmoor, etc), stands a very good chance of getting it one-shotted from beneath them.

That'd probably help keep it balanced.

Darzil

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
If I remember right it was supposed to be the reward for valiant fights etc, ie you ahd to earn a certain ammount of rps to get one of these horses. Instead we have Realm Abilities. I think they did the right thing, people taking horses into battle may sound nice but would really be quit stupid, in this game anyway.

Iskander

Fledgling Freddie
In RvR I can hardly get a spell off without being interrupted, thanks to the great coding done by Mythic. I wonder how the chances of a caster getting off a spell while riding a horse would be. On the other hand it might solve Casters survivability, just point your horse in oposite direction of incomming savage train and ride like hell, but then again riding around ATK all day would get borring soon enough...

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
The last statement from Mythic about player owned horses was made almost 1 year ago (see here). They're basically stating it would be implemented around spring 2003, but that didn't happen, and little to no word about it since.

I've seen an interview with Sanya saying that the developers made an attempt to implement it, but were unable to get it working as intended so far, or something :mad:

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Making free-moving horses would be hard to code in, I heard they may use the same technique for player controlled boats in TOA (using GT) but anythings possible, one day maybe.

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
As far as I understand, ToA boats are the same as fixed horse routes. However, fronteirs may allow player guidable boats. To be quite honest, they better had, because I've already bought my pirate hat.

Falcon

Fledgling Freddie
ToA has player driven boats, you just click where you want it to go on the sea and it goes there.

Anyway, who needs horses, they're so last year. ToA has stuff like harpies that carry you and sharks that you can ride on. I hope they let me bring a shark to frontiers.

Ronin

Fledgling Freddie
Horses...

Imo, having a medieval mmorpg without horses is a joke. I mean... we have knighs, i do belive i read in some history book they were horse mounted.

Adding horses to the game could be a possetive change in gameplay.
What if, for example some classes could specc in a skill that empowers horseback fighting ? Archers could specc in shooting from horsebacks, making them less good at regular shooting for lacking specc pts due to the new skill.
Tanks could do the same, specc in some kind of horseback fighting if its by using lance, or maybe shield/sword. By focusing on it they arent as good at fighting without the horse due to less skill pts... think u get the picture. :D

We would have new types of RvR elements, riding fighters that move swift and deadly while doing so.
But if we take the horse down we have a stranded gimp... :p

Sigurd

Banned
I've always wanted to see player-controlled horses in DAoC, but I don't expect to these days...

Speeedy

Fledgling Freddie
I would like to see free moving horses but only in the areas of each realm.

Think I could turn RvR into more of a joke than it is now :p

Marczje

Fledgling Freddie
give horses with Sos to get past the amg inf-warderzerg tbfh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom