Will the London 2012 Olympics be a success ?

Will the London 2012 Olympics be a success ?

• Total voters

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
the 2008 drummers were awesome.... how we gonna follow this up?

The synchronised sound of 25,000 benefit cheats filling in their housing benefit forms !

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Walk around London and get stabbed by black gangsters !

Not trying to sound PC here, but that came across as a stupid thing to say. Idiots with knifes are idiots with knives, and they tend to come in all colours, even ompalumpa orange.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Not trying to sound PC here, but that came across as a stupid thing to say. Idiots with knifes are idiots with knives, and they tend to come in all colours, even ompalumpa orange.

That's the problem with PC'ness. If you say idiots with knives, someone will just come along and claim that a clever person could also have a knife. What would of been less stupid to say?

Come get stabbed by a 2 legged primate? Would we have someone who lost a leg in the war bitching we missed them out? Racism is bad, we've hurtled so far past the line these days that it really irks me tho.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
I tend to agree. I think we're going to embarrass ourselves infront of the world - yet again. Fly into Terminal 5 and have your luggage lost ! Use our underground tube system and enjoy the 100% degree conditions inside the carriages ! Walk around London and get stabbed by black gangsters ! Our opening ceremony will be a pile of shit. It'll all be half-assed - the country has no discipline, no passion, no commitment, no respect, no defining culture, so WTF are we going to put on ? A huge dancing and singing full English Breakfast ?

No way can you top what China did today. China is a super-power. Britain is a country out of control

China has a population of 1.7 billion people and they're all disciplined. The entire Beijing olympics so far have been beautifully orchestrated, professional, stunning. So China can control 1.7 billion people instantly. Britain can't even control its kids.

We'll have tourists coming over here in there hundreds of thousands. Come to England and get stabbed !

We should NEVER have been allowed to host it. We're not worthy

Couldn't have said it better myself.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
theyve already started fucking up areas near me in order to make way for the Olympics. they've begun ripping up a royal park here (Greewich Park - oldest royal park in london) for some fucking equestrian events for the olympics despite it being too small. The reason why? To have a nice backdrop to look at on tv. Apparently most of the park will be closed for 2 years before and after the actual events. Its bullshit, millions of people go to the park each year and it's older than the olympics itself (not ancient ones obviously) and has more history than you can think of. Pisses me off :mad:

kivik

Part of the furniture
No way can you top what China did today. China is a super-power. Britain is a country out of control

China has a population of 1.7 billion people and they're all disciplined. The entire Beijing olympics so far have been beautifully orchestrated, professional, stunning. So China can control 1.7 billion people instantly. Britain can't even control its kids.

I hope you do realise what's the difference between China and United Kingdom that makes China look all disciplined and controlled.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Just seen the start of the opening ceremony in beijing.

how the fuck will London top that?

Can't doubt it was amazing, but 4 hours and 15 minutes was frankly too long for an opening ceremony.

Look at the fuck up that was Wembley Stadium, we cant even build one sports arena on time and in budget, how the fuck can we do the whole olympic complex

I bet when we won the bid, Seb Coe and his chums were saying behind their cheesy gritted toothed grins 'We fucking won????, now what the fuck do we do?????'

It reminds me of the eurovision Father Ted episode, when they chose Ted's song cause it was shit so ireland wouldn't have to host the contest (again)

Lol - agreed. I would also like to suggest that as an opening ceremony there is a 300ft high emblazoned effigy of Lord Twatface Coe being buggered by Steve Ovett. That WOULD be worth it :D

That's the problem with PC'ness. If you say idiots with knives, someone will just come along and claim that a clever person could also have a knife. What would of been less stupid to say?

Come get stabbed by a 2 legged primate? Would we have someone who lost a leg in the war bitching we missed them out? Racism is bad, we've hurtled so far past the line these days that it really irks me tho.

See your point, any race could hold the knife, but generally black fellas would get away with it less that the 'clever' lad who has decent legal representation. Though you have inferred that black people can't be clever with that statement.

I tend to agree. I think we're going to embarrass ourselves infront of the world - yet again. Fly into Terminal 5 and have your luggage lost ! Use our underground tube system and enjoy the 100% degree conditions inside the carriages ! Walk around London and get stabbed by black gangsters ! Our opening ceremony will be a pile of shit. It'll all be half-assed - the country has no discipline, no passion, no commitment, no respect, no defining culture, so WTF are we going to put on ? A huge dancing and singing full English Breakfast ?

We'll have tourists coming over here in there hundreds of thousands. Come to England and get stabbed !

We should NEVER have been allowed to host it. We're not worthy

I agree with your sentiments that we need to get our friggng act together if we plan to be organised for this sort of event. We have sat in mired planning restrictions and a whole host of shit for lots of building projects, including Wembley - hopefully, as in the Chinese structures, many decent German & Austrian architects will be brought in. Fucking hell, even the British borne logo looks shite.

However Lamp you do seem to have fallen into a quandry suggesting that the opening of the olympics is a fair reflection of their entire national organisation and you're either exceptionally naive or blind as to their current situation (and I still think there's only just over 1.3 billion or them, don't think I'm mistaken there).

First of all - 1.3 billion - do you know much of their one child policy that was aggressively implemented through the 70's and 80's and really only got relaxed late 90's? They're screwed - they have created a society that within 40 years will have a mass of older people but with so few people of working age that the welfare system will be crippled.

Second - natural resources - they have become exceptionally friendly and invested heavily in Africa. They have to - the Middle East is locked up and they will gain little there; the African oilfields are the only way for them to head because they're having trouble holding supply with demand as it is in terms of energy production.

Third - environmental record - I don't even think I have to start on that nightmare. Other nations can rightfully say 'we'd love to buy new technology to be more green but we can't afford it' such as India, Pakistan, Ghana, Brazil, Argentina etc. etc. all of which bought polluting factories from developed countries that sold them at high prices - China didn't due to their isolationism, they just decided they were going to use polluting factories anyway beacuse they're cheaper, and are continuing to build them, even if there are more expensive, cleaner solutions.

Fourth - human rights - my arse are all of their population are disciplined. They communist government want them to be but that's not the case. Tell the 1.5 million people (including 20 cities) the had to be moved by the Three Gorges Dam project that it's all good. And tell those downstream if the dam breaks due to an earthquake, the Sichaun quake a few months before the olympics still won't put off what is a close to finished project. Oh well, only people, we have plenty of those I bet the government is thinking, no elections after all. It pissed me off more than anything that Huw Edwards in his commentation of the opening ceremony which I watched throughout that there was a representation of all 56 distinct cultures that were part of China working in harmony. Get stuffed - many of them have disputed rights with the Communist government and they've been told to shut up or face eviction.

They know how to put on a show and this is about the athletes, but it shouldn't be in a place where free speech isn't allowed.

I hope we make the 2012 work, that's all I can say.

Remember friends, FH wouldn't exist if China had their way.....:(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I hope you do realise what's the difference between China and United Kingdom that makes China look all disciplined and controlled.

Of course...to be honest we could do with some discipline over here

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
theyve already started fucking up areas near me in order to make way for the Olympics. they've begun ripping up a royal park here (Greewich Park - oldest royal park in london) for some fucking equestrian events for the olympics despite it being too small. The reason why? To have a nice backdrop to look at on tv. Apparently most of the park will be closed for 2 years before and after the actual events. Its bullshit, millions of people go to the park each year and it's older than the olympics itself (not ancient ones obviously) and has more history than you can think of. Pisses me off :mad:

Get back to Uni then bud, plenty of green areas there, unless they've built stuff between Rutherford & Eliot then it would be a shame :(

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
as much as i'd love it to be a success so us brits could show the world we aren't made of fail....
it wont be.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I only voted Yes! because no one else had yet at the time. I don't pay much attention to this rubbish anyway, I'll just stick to burying my head in the sand.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

Of course...to be honest we could do with some discipline over here

There will be no difference if Labour continue to introduce new ways to remove our liberties.

And it is scary that we would consider, even jokingly, living in a country like China than Britain as it is now.

eksdee

FH is my second home
a huge steaming lump of fail, dressed up to damp squib status. the true english way.

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
It'll all be half-asssed - the country has no discipline, no passion, no commitment, no respect, no defining culture, so WTF are we going to put on ? A huge dancing and singing full English Breakfast ?

Well said :)

Can i have a bit of bubble with mine ?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
- What did you do in the Olympics, Grandpa ? Did you do archery ? Weight-lifting ?

- No, son. I wore a sausage costume and danced around a fried egg for 2 hours.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Who saw the handover piece at the closing ceremony ?

If thats what we've got to offer then its going to look cheap and tacky. A fold-down London bus with a hedge on it. Leona Lewis + Jimmy Page's cover was awful. Even David Beckham who kicked a ball into the crowd looked uncomfortable / embarrassed.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Who saw the handover piece at the closing ceremony ?

If thats what we've got to offer then its going to look cheap and tacky. A fold-down London bus with a hedge on it. Leona Lewis + Jimmy Page's cover was awful. Even David Beckham who kicked a ball into the crowd looked uncomfortable / embarrassed.

Haha, thats exactly what I thought.

China displays this great spectacle of synchronisation and discipline, and London has a red bus and a fucking lolly-pop lady.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Does it really need to be about the spectacle?

For China, yes. Because they've got something to prove. Britian shouldn't have to try to hard.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Spectacle plays an important part. You've got all the world's media in your city. Thousands of athletes. A billion people watching on their TV sets. You want to put on a good show and show off your city and culture.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Probably some committees idea of edgy, contempory Britain. Bet a shit load more of this tripe incoming, designed to please everyone but pleases no one.
Millenium Dome x10. Sure it'll be a success, but plenty of cringeworthness ahead, Sir Elton John gets dug up and the like. tbh would actually be nice to see some tradition stuff with the army marching and so on all this New Labour Spice Girls branding of Britian has been done enough.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Well, yes really.

:)

Why though?

Athens was hardly an amazing spectacle, and as such is remembered for the sport and not the show.

Did this bother the Greeks? I doubt it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
For the reasons lamp gave.

No, Athens wasnt that amazing, but it wasnt embarrasing was it?

It wasn't and that was a point i made earlier. China needed to put on a massive spectacle because they're trying to show the world how awesome they are and how they 'have no problems'. GB shouldn't need to do that and should be able to get away with an adequate show.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
im still pretty sure its gonna be fail, that seems to be the way Britain wants to go these days.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The opening ceremony of the 2012 games will be conducted in Urdhu and Farsi to accomodate all the London schools, whose kids will be running around in a random multicultural manner with costumes made by parents.

To avoid any such shame Britain should do what it does best. Just put on a bloody great big concert and let all the athletes stip off and dance. I think that would work ok.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The opening ceremony will probably be hosted by Jordan and Peter Andre, two of Britain's finest ambassadors.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
speaking of which.. can someone set up a website so we can petition seb coe to keep robbie fucking williams away from the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom