Rant Will someone please kill this bitch? :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We just can't wait to get our hands on ID cards, us.

Seriously. This post may be "inciting hatred", or something, but I'll pay £1000 to the first person to shoot Jacqui Smith in the forehead and take a photo of themselves fucking the hole in her skull.

Women can enter this family-fun competition if they come armed with rotary whisks which can be used to mangle her eyes...

:(

I'm going to bed. Really early.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I think someone should drug test her, I'm sure they'll find she was eating magic mushrooms.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Someone nicked her fingerprints today as well, hope they appear online post-haste!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
the article is not exactly written very well to be fair. not that i support anything either way, im just critiquing the article

first weve got this bit

Jacqui Smith says public demand means people will be able to pre-register for an ID card within the next few months.

but what she is actually quoted as saying is

"I regularly have people coming up to me and saying they don't want to wait that long."

says people, not public. its not obvious that people is a member of the public. if shes travelling the country, i assume shes going to conferences. at these conferences people will be there who support her. etc

jsut seems the bbc is putting a spin on things to me.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, tris loves the cards, who else? :p

tris-

like i just said if you cared to read what i wrote there.

ill quote it for you

the article is not exactly written very well to be fair. not that i support anything either way, im just critiquing the article

if you want the honest truth i dont care either way about them. i dont know enough about the problem to have an opinnion.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's not an entirely logical critique Tris. Just because what they've quoted doesn't imply
"Jacqui Smith says public demand means people will be able to pre-register for an ID card within the next few months." doesn't mean she didn't say that aswell. They've just not quoted it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
if you want the honest truth i dont care either way about them

You care enough to provide a "critique" of the Beeb's article which loosely defends the woman I honestly want people to skull-fuck to death.

Are you sure that's the honest truth? Or is it the "I don't want to be flamed for thinking ID cards are a good idea" truth?

'cause you will be. You will be.

/yoda off ;)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
So what's the problem with ID cards?

/runs

Chilly

Balls of steel
money better spent elsewhere is my main objection. Especially considering our spiralling national debt and financial markets going to pot. Only thing keeping this country alive is weapons exports and fags.

tris-

You care enough to provide a "critique" of the Beeb's article which loosely defends the woman I honestly want people to skull-fuck to death.

Are you sure that's the honest truth? Or is it the "I don't want to be flamed for thinking ID cards are a good idea" truth?

'cause you will be. You will be.

/yoda off ;)

like i say ive got no idea about the whole situation. only the bits and bobs i hear people talk about.

nath- if she said it then surely it could be quoted.
since its not their, its valid to say theyre trying to put a spin on it.
as it is weve got an unstated assumption.

unless it pops up in another report that she DID say that. but im not about to go looking around for one :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
like i say ive got no idea about the whole situation. only the bits and bobs i hear people talk about.

nath- if she said it then surely it could be quoted.
since its not their, its valid to say theyre trying to put a spin on it.
as it is weve got an unstated assumption.

unless it pops up in another report that she DID say that. but im not about to go looking around for one :p

Well that's nitpicking for nitpickings sake. There's no rule that says they have to quote every single thing an interviewee says. They can paraphrase to make the article flow better. Sure you can say they're putting a spin on it but without any more reason than "they've not backed that bit up with a direct quote" you'll be on your own bud.

In addition to that "Jacqui Smith says public demand means people will be able to pre-register for an ID card within the next few months." Either the BBC is lying, or she actually said that. I don't see spin there.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I dont see anything wrong with ID cards really...Its just like having a passport...

and it will be useful for having to prove your identity when opening a bank account for example instead of taking 10 types of bills and proofs of address and all that crap

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You're not concerned about identity fraud? The cost to the tax payer, the fact that the government have proven time and time again that they can't be trusted to keep sensitive data secure?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I dont see anything wrong with ID cards really...Its just like having a passport...

and it will be useful for having to prove your identity when opening a bank account for example instead of taking 10 types of bills and proofs of address and all that crap

The cost, the fact is has been pushed through despite public outcry against it, the data being held by a 3rd party who have won a contract to do it?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
You're not concerned about identity fraud? The cost to the tax payer, the fact that the government have proven time and time again that they can't be trusted to keep sensitive data secure?

No cos that can happen anyway without Identity cards.
They have info on you with other things like Drivers Licence, Passports etc anyway. An ID card won't increase that risk.

Chilly

Balls of steel
It will, because it will bring a lot of it together, increasing the amount of info in one location is a disaster waiting to happen.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They need to completely overhaul the way they manage and store data before they should even consider identity cards.

1 leak is a mistake 2 a cause for concern, several like we have had is a serious issue.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
How is storing this data in one place any different from say, storing your "personal data" in a government official building like, the IRS?

Asking, not saying "boo, go away (enter political stance)".

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
How is storing this data in one place any different from say, storing your "personal data" in a government official building like, the IRS?

Asking, not saying "boo, go away (enter political stance)".

Because its the governments policy on data that has caused information to be left on trains (a folder with "top secret" written all over it) laptops with info on left in parks etc etc

Its not when its in a safe building that is the problem, its when they let any low level public servant carry it around for no reason or give it to some useless security firm to transport.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Because its the governments policy on data that has caused information to be left on trains (a folder with "top secret" written all over it) laptops with info on left in parks etc etc

Its not when its in a safe building that is the problem, its when they let any low level public servant carry it around for no reason or give it to some useless security firm to transport.

Ah, so the problem isn't per say in the ID card idea(except for costs, but government uses cash on stupid things anyway), but the lack of faith in the UK government to handle your information safely as it should?

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
Essentialy yes.

There is very little trust at the moment for the british government to actually keep personal information, well personal.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, I am still undecided on the actual cards, I would like to know the real motive for having them. They can't say its to stop crime, anything can be forged or copied and these will be no different.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ah, so the problem isn't per say in the ID card idea(except for costs, but government uses cash on stupid things anyway), but the lack of faith in the UK government to handle your information safely as it should?

Its not just their basic incompetence that's an issue. There's also the matter of "function creep". The number of people who would be allowed to access your ID data was originally quite narrow (the Police and Social Security basically), but now its expanding to local government and other departments. These departments have already proven to be totally untrustworthy (e.g. councils using anti-terror laws to spy on families in relation to school applications), and the ID system will make it even easier for councils and civil servants, both as departments and <i>as individuals</i> to spy on people. Add in the fact that ID cards are completely useless in serving their intended briefs (all the Madrid bombers had valid ID cards for example), and you have to ask what's the point, other than as yet another agent of state control.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Valid arguments i believe.

Lack of trust in government holding info is a big issue, and yes, using it in anti-terror thingies(which is another topic altogether) is also a bad idea.

If the UK can handle efficiently the data without these cards(which in principle ARE a good idea), why use the cash for it when you haev, for example, lacking healthcare and roads.

(from what i've heard, do correct if i'm wrong about HC or roads)

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
Applicants will be able to opt out of having a card issued until 2010, although they cannot opt out of having their details recorded on the NIR.

I think the cards are ok, but its the database holding all the information thats the big sticker, and who gets access to it, will the government sell the data to companies etc etc

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
I think the cards are ok, but its the database holding all the information thats the big sticker, and who gets access to it, will the government sell the data to companies etc etc

Exactly, if the ID cards simply replicated our current passports then I don't really see the issue with that. However, that's not going to be the case and the card is going to be linked to a database containing well over 100 pieces of information about you, the vast majority of which have nothing to do with beng able to prove your identity.

And it may be that everything on this database is already held by the Government in one form or another but there's a massive difference between having information spread out in a number of separate distinct databases and having all that information in one database. Not to mention the inevitable function creep that'll occur when the Government have all that data in one easily accessible place.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I think if there was a high quality information management policy accross the board in all levels of government and the scope of ID cards was restricted and set in stone most people wouldnt mind having the ID card, assuming it was free (or at least very cheap). As it is, we're looking at facing a compulsary £30 charge for something we do not want, trust or need.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The reason the Government want these cards is simply so they know who is doing what, where and when.

The Government has no right to this level of information. I wonder, do you think Pikeys will carry them? Will they fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom