[QUESTION] Will EU get a Test Server as well?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Short answer: No

Long Answer: As part of GOA policy to provide an equal or better service for their European customers GOA is looking into providing a Test Server. Our team who implements the patch notes is looking into this right now but we can't provide an ETA at the moment.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
Short answer: No

Long Answer: As part of GOA policy to provide an equal or better service for their European customers GOA is looking into providing a Test Server. Our team who implements the patch notes is looking into this right now but we can't provide an ETA at the moment.

:m00:

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
If they can't implement a basic database search on their web site (read: Herald), I truly do not believe they are able to give us a test server.

But then again, what point would a EU test server actually be? GOA don't write the code, they just lease the franchise (i assume).

For Mythic to host a test server, this makes sense, but not for GOA.

You also need to take into account GOA's refusal to actually invest any more than is totally nessaccery in their franchise. Again I point to the Herald. Why would they spend any cash on this when the players are going to play (and pay) regardless

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
But then again, what point would a EU test server actually be? GOA don't write the code, they just lease the franchise (i assume).
<snip>

Outside the obvious of giving us equal service, then for the same reasons as the US. Provide feedback, giving us a chance to test the changes before deployment etc.

After all we (well, I do) also provide bug reports, feedback etc from within the game.
Why make bug reports if it isn't GOA who write the code? ;)

Gahn

Resident Freddy
For the love of God, can they give an ETA about fucking anything?
Oops must be cause the last "Estimated" time is over since 1,5 month already?
Wake up folks, it's time already.

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
Outside the obvious of giving us equal service, then for the same reasons as the US. Provide feedback, giving us a chance to test the changes before deployment etc.

After all we (well, I do) also provide bug reports, feedback etc from within the game.
Why make bug reports if it isn't GOA who write the code? ;)

Well you know as well as I do that any bug reports form the EU go precisly nowhere.

A test server ISNT a service for us, its a tool for the developers of the game.

These delevopers are based out of Mythics offices, I doubt they have much contact with anyone in the EU.

For a test server to be anymore than a money/bandwitch sink, it needs to be able to provide something to the company hosting it. Basically it requires the devs to be able to get data back from it in some form or other.

There seems to be a pretty poor data flow between the two comapanys at the moment.

Proof positive is the amount of time it takes to get any game breaking issues sorted out.

It took over a week to get some campains reset in the EU, despite MANY "bug reports/feed back/CSR apeals) In fact it only seemed to get fixed when the problem was brought to the forums and a Mythic guy got involved.

If feedback WAS actually getting to anyone at all, then information about the game actually getting broken would have got there and the issue would have been sorted in hours rather than days (poor show for a modern company there GOA)

If GOA wont believe their customers when they say somethng is broken, and don't tell Mythic, just where would any results from a test server go?

The Mythic devs would be able to harvest pure stats etc, but this data would be availiable to them allready and would not really be of any use.

MagnusGOA

English WAR Community Manager
EU test server?

Good day!
I can't confirm whether or not there will be European test servers but that's what we're aiming for. We've got the hardware all set up if need be, so it's more a matter of finding a solution we're happy with.

A test server ISNT a service for us, its a tool for the developers of the game.

These delevopers are based out of Mythics offices, I doubt they have much contact with anyone in the EU.

For a test server to be anymore than a money/bandwitch sink, it needs to be able to provide something to the company hosting it. Basically it requires the devs to be able to get data back from it in some form or other.

There seems to be a pretty poor data flow between the two comapanys at the moment.

There is certainly room for improved communication between GOA and Mythic - it's an organic cooperation this and we're learning as we go along. Without a doubt though, bug reporting is something which does work very well simply because we've been working together on this level for a long time now. If we do host European test servers, it would be done to comply with one primary purpose; to promote the development and improvement of WAR.

I'd love to be less vague, but this is what I can say right now. Obviously, this is a hot topic and I'll try to get straight answers to you as soon as possible.

-Magnus

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Sounds like you were psychic @Cadelin

Guess we'll see it at the same time as Realm War indeed......can't understand why it continues to be a pain to get an actual answer from GOA for most things. I know you don't have the answer Magnus, but .......

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
"Equal does not mean identical" :)

Although my post stance is obviously anti-GOA, I do not believe that a EU test server would serve any purpose.

From a players point of view, yeah its nice to be able to port your toon across to test the new changes ahead of the release (in WoW it was allmsot a requiste to keeping ahead of the crowd)

From GOA's point of view? Keeping their players happy, certainly, but a real benefit? I don't think so.

Though keeping players happy is a good target :p the lack of a EU test server isnt something to shout at them about.

The lack of a Herald is!!

Anyway, I got a post of mine quoted by Magnusk, without also picking up a ban on the forum at the same time. Anougher world first for KEP?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Although my post stance is obviously anti-GOA, I do not believe that a EU test server would serve any purpose.

From a players point of view, yeah its nice to be able to port your toon across to test the new changes ahead of the release (in WoW it was allmsot a requiste to keeping ahead of the crowd)

From GOA's point of view? Keeping their players happy, certainly, but a real benefit? I don't think so.

Though keeping players happy is a good target :p the lack of a EU test server isnt something to shout at them about.

The lack of a Herald is!!

Anyway, I got a post of mine quoted by Magnusk, without also picking up a ban on the forum at the same time. Anougher world first for KEP?

A) Surely is better that double the figures test the HotFixes instead only the Na people.
B) Test Server doesn't only serve the purpose of debugging HotFixes you know, it gives you chance of checking diff Tress without too much hassle and better understand game mechanics.
C) I'm starting to get bored of be treated as second rate customer.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I would like a test server because I believe the European community should be able to voice their opinions on the game.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'd love to be less vague, but this is what I can say right now. Obviously, this is a hot topic and I'll try to get straight answers to you as soon as possible.

sooo, we wait a year, then it gets swept under the carpet?

The point of a test server is to test the patches, why do the americans get to test the game when we were promised an equal or better service? why are we being treated worse in every possible place? We pay more, we have a worthless home page, we get patched late, we have no test server and the support is not as good.

That is NOT an equal or better service its a joke. If I had spent any more than £30 and a months sub I would be in touch with trading standards.

I hate to be the sort that says "I told you so" but Goa really are showing their true colours now.

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
I think only people that actually play the game, should be allowed to QQ at GOA service...

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
I think only people that actually play the game, should be allowed to QQ at GOA service...

I choose not to play the game because of how poor the service is compared to the US servers (Not entirely the reason, but certainly a major contributing factor). I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I have every right to complain. I paid for the game, therefore I can complain about the service associated with said game. End of.

On topic, Never thought about a test server in the eu for WAR (Did for DAoC - but that never happened) not sure why WAR should be any different. Seems GOA haven't learnt much.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I paid for the game and i paid for a months subs. I have every right to have an opinion on the piss poor service we recieve.

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
I paid for the game and i paid for a months subs. I have every right to have an opinion on the piss poor service we recieve.

Great! I hope you guys do the same bashing on every company, service, governement action that gives a poor service.
I was not aiming at anyone on particular, but i'm getting tired of reading some comments borderline racists only because it's a french company.
All criticism are welcome and should be done when the service is poor, and badly done. GOA have a lot of faults on their side, but continued bashing and insulting from some people on this forums, is just pushing too much.

On the test server subject, i don't really see the point since it's very easy to change careers on this game or try most of the features of the game on live servers. In DAOC, unfortunatly, that would have been great to have it. But looking at pendragon example, it was most of the time empty or missused by players.

Instead of a test server, i would rather focus on a decent webpage...

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I was not aiming at anyone on particular, but i'm getting tired of reading some comments borderline racists only because it's a french company.

Where is there any French bashing/racisms in this thread?

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
A test server would be nice, but Mythic would only get the same information from it that they are already getting from their US test servers.

there is no compelling reason for GOA to host one, in fact, theres more of a case for GOA not to host it.

They are buying a product from Mythic, they are NOT developers of that product.

You are all talking about a test server as if you would actually test things and provide feedback.

Ok some people would

But the majority of people will only use it to test different talent trees etc. Which is fine, but don't pretend otherwise.

Im not claiming that GOA's servie is good, in fact its terrible, and I am often tempted to give up and reroll on an American server because of it.

For example, there is no communication between the customer and GOA. My e-mails have never been answered.

There is no way I can contact anyone about a problem in game without logging a ticket. These CSR tickets get me an auto generated mail in my inbox. No acton taken though.

Broken mechanics in game (for example a bug meaning im not being able to retake droped epic quests) gets me reprimanded for logging a ticket (well action threatened on my account if I ask again)

Actually just typing this out makes me wonder why I activated my credit card details in the first place. I think it was due to a post Mark Jacobs made in which I decided to show support for him (Maybe not the best reason to give GOA cash)

So in precis, There is no business case for GOA to host a test server, BUT their service is appaling and something that will hurt WAR in the EU more than the game issues ever will.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Given there is almost simultaneous deployment now, as opposed to back in the days of DAoC, I'm guessing language localisation is done at Mythic's end.

Without that I can't see any reason for GOA to host a test server.

I don't think asking for a test server is anything to do with testing, its just people wanting advance access to content.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I would like a test server because I believe the European community should be able to voice their opinions on the game.

This is one of my main concerns as well. I'm not too bothered about bug hunting, but I want to feel that my feedback is just as important as anyone playing on US servers.

I don't want this to end up like DAoC where only Pendragon players get invited to be testers, only players with US accounts becoming team leaders, etc. It effectively locks out EU players and we become second class customers.

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
It effectively locks out EU players and we become second class customers.

You are not Mythics customers. You are customers of GOA.

GOA do not write the code.
GOA do not develop the content.
GOA do not balance the Classes.

GOA would have no need for a test server. There is nothing that a test server could do to help in the function GOA performs.

GOA have franchised the game from Mythic.
GOA run Mythics code on their servers and sell the ability to access that to the EU customers.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Thank you for stating the obvious.

Regardless of GOA merely hosting and not coding the game - I would want to go through new patch notes, test any new features and be able to submit feedback directly to the developers of the game. There are class changes on there and various other tweaks which have an effect on the game I play.

One of the promises from GOA running the EU servers would be that we'd be getting a service equal or better to US players. It's also something Mythic has keenly pointed out - GOA are their partners and not just a franchise which they don't really care about as they did with DAoC.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
One of the promises from GOA running the EU servers would be that we'd be getting a service equal or better to US players. It's also something Mythic has keenly pointed out - GOA are their partners and not just a franchise which they don't really care about as they did with DAoC.

Except it surly seems as if they don't "care".

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
Im not defending GOA's service, but if you still feel the need for a "test server" to "provide feedback". Then you will need to have an American Account with the company called Mythic.

Instead of blindly ignoring the reasons stated above for GOA NOT hosting said server (its not a service, so has no releation to any promises from GOA) just go to the company that will be hosting the server, and help provide the data you so badly feel the need to feed back to the developers.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Im not defending GOA's service, but if you still feel the need for a "test server" to "provide feedback". Then you will need to have an American Account with the company called Mythic.

Instead of blindly ignoring the reasons stated above for GOA NOT hosting said server (its not a service, so has no releation to any promises from GOA) just go to the company that will be hosting the server, and help provide the data you so badly feel the need to feed back to the developers.

Again - we also provide bug reports and feedback via in-game tools at the encouragement of GOA. And Magnus said that they'd like to have a test server. (true or not, and if we'll ever or not, we don't know though)

Simply because GOA does not do coding, does not mean hundred of thousand of peoples feedback can't/won't be beneficial to the ones that do the coding. Even if we are subscribed via proxy, we are still playing the game and have feedback for the game. It is just up to GOA to channel it back to Mythic.

When I make software for clients, I still want feedback from their customers/users who use the software as well, to help improve it.
Feedback from the customers is valuable regardless if it is the "first tier" or the "second tier" as long as they use the software.

So I do not think your reasoning is correct, that just because it isn't GOA doing the code, that our feedback is somehow meaningless just 'cause we're forced to take it through GOA.
And especially considering the lofty and often repeated promises of equal or better service, then an equal chance to provide feedback, and to be heard, in regards of the software we use, that IS a part of that service for many.

Gahn

Resident Freddy

Requiel stop posting with the "other account" mk? :m00:

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Where is there any French bashing/racisms in this thread?

I believe you can find that by yourself, but i will glady awnser you: not yet.

But the thread is still young, just give it some time...

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Given there is almost simultaneous deployment now, as opposed to back in the days of DAoC, I'm guessing language localisation is done at Mythic's end.

Without that I can't see any reason for GOA to host a test server.

I don't think asking for a test server is anything to do with testing, its just people wanting advance access to content.

Exactly.
Anyway, GOA providing the test server would be a nice present for the customers. Totally useless but a gesture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom