Wifi problems and Orange Livebox

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I have recently moved from Switzerland across the border to France. My new internet provider is France Telecom and they have supplied me with an Orange Livebox.

I have had this Livebox for about a month now and use the wireless connection it seems to be utterly shit. It randomly stops working about once every two days and I have to unplug it and plug it in again to get it to work. It also says about once a week that it thinks its been compromised and refuses to work until I unplug it. I also have problems using ssh and other similar commands they just take ages to work.

I am using WPA encryption with a strong password (I don't think I am being hacked). I am in a block of flats so there are alot of other connections around. Does anyone know what might be wrong and how I can improve the connection? When it is connected there is no problem with speeds but it is very annoying when it keeps going down.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I don't know about the hardware of that Orange Livebox so can't help you so much there, but if you're on ADSL it might be worth just replacing the router. Netgear DG834G is a very decent ADSL Modem/Router and is not very expensive. Could be worth going for that rather than spending ages trying to sort out a duff router.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Orange are a notoriously bad ISP both in europe and in the UK. Watchdog voted them the worst ISP in 2007. A friend of mine used them for three months and then bought himself out of his 12 month contract. The livebox consistantly had the same problems you have now, plus the occasional drop on broadband when using their VOIP system, which obviously cut off the calls.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Orange are a notoriously bad ISP both in europe and in the UK. Watchdog voted them the worst ISP in 2007. A friend of mine used them for three months and then bought himself out of his 12 month contract. The livebox consistantly had the same problems you have now, plus the occasional drop on broadband when using their VOIP system, which obviously cut off the calls.

Well due to my location, there is no other broadband provider. Also I am moving again in 9 months (to Germany) I may see if I can get hold of a different router. The trouble is with all the moving I am currently doing if I buy something it normally get left behind. Also the company I work for will pay if I need to rent something so paying 2 euro's a month to rent a livebox which I can claim back is better than buying a router which will be another thing to try and transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom