Question Why can't I get sound out of my Xbox 360/TV/HiFi?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Whilst I was out at work today my family decided to treat me. I came home to find my Panasonic TX-P42G10B wall-mounted at long last. Very nice indeed.

The electrician had very neatly connected the tv to the hi fi, to the video, to my Xbox 360 and PS3. All is hunky dory except for the minor matter of sound from the Xbox 360.

My 360 is one of the original ones so doesn't have an HDMI port, just the AV port with the cable where you can choose HD output. So its connected to the television using the composite cables, and the tv has sound output leads connected from it to the hi fi inputs.

When I bought the tv the chaps who delivered it connected to all the gear so this is my first time trying to solve the problem. Can anyone shed any light please?

Thanks.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Take it step by step - trace where the sound is coming and going. First of all, you need the sound out of you 360 - this can come in the form of an optical output (a separate cable coming from the AV out from the 360) or red and white stereo cable.

Which one do you have and where is it running to?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
The only cable coming out my Xbox 360 is the composite AV cable. I can see there is a slot for an optical output but I don't recall ever having bought it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You don't need to route the sound via your TV. Connect the red and white stereo jacks directly into your stereo, or use the optical out to get 5.1 surround (2nd option gets my vote).

Also you may just have selected the correct output on the hi-fi, or the TV is not set-up to output from the input currently being used.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
OK. I can't remember if it's supposed to come with one - but nee bother. There should be a red and white cable running along with the composite (or are you sure it's not component?) cable. It should plug in to the red/white input on the back of your tele, or a similar input on your amp.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's both nath - the 360 A/V lead has both composite and component connections, and a switch to select which to use. He should be using the component option given he has a HD-TV. Can't remember if the lead splits low enough down the cable to allow you to take the audio inputs to a device far away from the component inputs though.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
orignal x360 had a component cable that let u either select 480I/520p or higher res like 720p/1080i this later changed to 1080p over component as well with an dashbaord update. the composite cable was separate one all together at first. and the read/white phono cables some gave you .5m lee-way some didnt same with the ms vga cable. connecting to the component red/green/blue with the white/red phonos these are split off separate from the other 3)) sockets directly will give you sond the hifi.

just noticed
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2009/05/11/Panasonic-Viera-TX-P42g10-42in-Plasma-TV/p4
states that only sound outputs are optical or headphone unless its wrong how is the tv connected to the hifi? phono out from tv to phono into tv?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
phono out from tv to phono into tv?

Yes, thats how I set it up - if you mean phono into hi-fi. The guy has done a reasonable job but didn't bother to check everything worked. I'm wondering if it just wouldn't be easier to get a HDMI converter or whatever Microsoft made for the original Xbox 360.

Sorry if I am being dim, but I do appreciate the help.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Easiest thing to do is get the optical cable if your amp/hifi/reciever accepts it as an input.

No such thing as a hdmi converter.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Those comments and the reviews for it almost vindicate my original statement.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Pictures always help.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Thanks for your help guys. Got there in the end ... the chap had reversed the input and output leads on the tv and hi-fi. Yet still maintained that he had tested everything and that it was all okay when he left. Yeah right...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Dude, if your amp supports optical I would still recommend that option. Under a tenner and you will have much better quality sound.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Its a good idea, and after Chrimbo I'll check out the shops and see if I can find one.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Whatever you do, don't get conned in to buying a pricey one - it'll make zero difference to sound quality.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
feh im sure i got an opticable cable not being used, can mail you it if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom