why buy HL2 off steam?

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
Can someone explain what the benefits are to buying HL2 off steam (for about £50 for the silver edition) over buying it in the shops in November for probably £30 ?

I've already had it from Steam mind, coz trem told me to.

cheers

Lester

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Because we have CSS NOW !!!!
Nuff said :)

It wont be 30 quid either, bound to be at least 35, unless ur jis gunna pick out the bargain from god knows where :D

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Silver Edition was £39.68 for me.

Over the odds? Yeah probably, especially as I need a whole new PC now :)

But what the hell, it's only money.

RB

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Because you'll be saving trees. And some oil. Seriously.

Also, Valve get more % of the sale. Which means that HL3 or whatever will be better.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
Because you'll be saving trees. And some oil. Seriously.

Also, Valve get more % of the sale. Which means that HL3 or whatever will be better.

Valve, who have of course, bare-faced lied and bullshitted everyone for the last couple of years, so of course, deserve more of your money, oh yes. And I've seen it available on pre-order for £26.99.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
of course he wont mention where because he works for game, and it's not on the game site for that price. :D

id rather invest in the physical media, more for peace of mind if the hard disk dies.

and no, i havnt bought a dvd writer yet :eek6:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Im not much bothered about the box and all that, though in fairness my son will be getting a copy for christmas too, so we'll have the best of both worlds :)

DaGaffer

Insane said:
of course he wont mention where because he works for game, and it's not on the game site for that price. :D

id rather invest in the physical media, more for peace of mind if the hard disk dies.

and no, i havnt bought a dvd writer yet :eek6:

I don't work for GAME anymore - but I'm still not quite ready to give the internet's 800lb gorilla a plug :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
DaGaffer said:
Valve, who have of course, bare-faced lied and bullshitted everyone for the last couple of years, so of course, deserve more of your money, oh yes. And I've seen it available on pre-order for £26.99.

Only thing they've done wrong is given the 30/9/03 release date, which was probably down to pressure from ATI more than anything.

They've produced one mega-awesome game which has spawned the most popular mods in history, and now they're about to release what looks to be the most awesome game since HL1. I think they deserve more money :~)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I payed to play CS:S, because Steam is needed wether you get the box or not, and because I would actually rather give Valve more money than the publisher.

DaGaffer

Tom said:
Only thing they've done wrong is given the 30/9/03 release date, which was probably down to pressure from ATI more than anything.

They've produced one mega-awesome game which has spawned the most popular mods in history, and now they're about to release what looks to be the most awesome game since HL1. I think they deserve more money :~)

Not so - they misled their publisher about the date, made statements about the release date that their publisher couldn't comment on, making the publisher look pretty stupid, and of course all the fanboys blame the publisher, not the sainted Valve (christ, most them blamed the publisher, retailers, the neighbour's cat, anybody but Valve). They've actually treated most of their partners pretty shabbily tbh. No publisher would issue a release date just to keep a graphics manuf. happy, the graphics guys need the games far more than the games need the graphics guys. And Steam sucks.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
You buy it via Steam so that you don't have to go outside...outside into the evil world....outside in the burning sunshine and acid rain......outside into the evil that lies there.

:eek6:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Actually Gaffer, Steam is a very good program. If you have gripes with it than bad luck, but for the majority of epople that it works for, its fine.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Steam is awful awful, awful software. When you have it set up, it does its thing and the awfulness is less noticable but it really is crap software.

People seem to be saying that HL2 requires steam - does that mean the game requires a net connection even if you buy the boxed version and just want to play it single player?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
nath, its not newbie friendly thats for sure, but once you know about it a fresh install is a doddle. Yes hl2 requires Steam and a net connection after you actuvate any of its online content - or thats what they were saying earlier this year.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It's not the lack of newbie friendliness, it's the lack of configurability. You can only choose your steam folder, not where you install individual games (which I find fairly lame). There's plenty of other things that really annoy me, but I can't be bothered to get in to them - and I'm sure you can't be bothered to read them :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Highlight of last nights games was Nath calling Durz a "flidlord"

Still fucking laughing.

:D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think Steam is great. It updates itself, quickly. It plays the games without fuss. You can check out your favourite servers before starting a game fullscreen. It basically does what it says on the tin.

I remember WON, I remember waiting 2 days to download a HL update. I remember WON being down for hours, for no apparent reason. WON was SHITE.

Twaize

Fledgling Freddie
steam = valve gets money
shop = Vivendi Universal gets money

and VU is sueing valve.

And with no Valve no HL3

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ch3tan said:
Actually Gaffer, Steam is a very good program. If you have gripes with it than bad luck, but for the majority of epople that it works for, its fine.
You've changed... what happened to the friend I knew that did have a braincell :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I got fed up of covering for you, so I knowcked it out. I've never had any big issues with Steam its always done me good. And its far far better than WON, lets not forget that.

noikz

Banned
I bought it though Steam mainly for CS:S but having HL2 pre-loaded is also a worthy reason. :)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Steam works fine for me - no probs here.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Lester said:
Can someone explain what the benefits are to buying HL2 off steam (for about £50 for the silver edition) over buying it in the shops in November for probably £30 ?

If u didnt read the descriptions of the packs... buying it in the shops is more like buying the bronze edition. wit the silver u also get DOD source and Half Life source when they are out.. which i presume u may have to pay for as it is only reasonable explanation that i can find.
Also i do believe it was on steam for $59.95 which should work out to around

Rubber Bullets said:
Silver Edition was £39.68 for me.

not £50 unless ofc u bought the gold package but that i think should work out to be abit more than £50. although i maybe wrong.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
interestingly enough - people who purchased online got immediate access to hl2 once the files were unlocked whereas people who purchased the dvd had to then download another 25mb worth of files....

I think the preloaders got the better deal ;)

M

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I must admit that I had no problems what so ever with getting HL2 through steam. Ive never really had that much of an issue with Steam since I first tested the beta. I think over the years that Ive only a couple of times had to delete the clientregistry.blob file to kick it back into action.

With HL2 it preloaded fine. Then when I got home from work on Tuesday at about 7.30 I cranked up Steam, it unlocked the files and I was playing within 10 minutes.

Its the way forward tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom