Whose your favourite writer & y?

C

Conchabar

My favourite writer has to be james joyce.. reasons being he inspires my mind and has a great use of the english language:>

T

throdgrain

For pure eloquence my Favourites are Patrick Obrian and Mervyn Peake.

M

~Mobius~

Tolkien, I envy him so much. The man had SO much imagination. I wish I could think like him.

L

leggy

f. paul wilson

why you ask? well, I have no idea but I was totally captivated by his adversary cycle and his novel sister night.

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by Conchabar
My favourite writer has to be james joyce.. reasons being he inspires my mind and has a great use of the english language:>

What he said! :D He is the main (only ?) reason I started to write. But for pure enjoyment then fiest/eddings/dahl/rowlings (YES :p).

Also honourable mention to Tolkien for inspiring a whole genre of writers and for creating such a believable world in his books.

O

old.milou

Jane Austen - as she made the ordinary special.

Martin Amis - due to his sheer diversity of style and his story-telling.

J

Jonaldo

J R Hartley.

The words he used in Fly Fishing were possibly the best and most inspired colloquialisations I have ever had the privilege to bear witness to.

Or maybe William Gibson, godfather of all that is cyberpunk.

D

dysfunction

Tolkien - Pure Genius
Terry Pratchett - Pure comedy Genius
Douglas Adams - Pure comedy Genius

Cos they have an imagination that cant be beaten, write superbly well and keep me entertained and captivated....

Oh and...Top 5 books - The Big Read:

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling

I rest my case! :)

W

whipped

Greg Bear - I'll even go as far as to say he's a better sci-fi athor that Clarke, although I like the fact he's not confined himself to sci-fi. Songs of Earth and Power is one of my all time favorite books.

Oh, and Terry Pratchet. Each new book still makes me laugh. In fact, see sig.

S

SilverHood

Frank Herbert, not so much for his later books, more for the world he created.

H

hoggsboss

iain banks for his fiction books (not a science fiction fan) and val mcdermid for the carol jordan/tony hill books.

one of my favourite books is - green river rising by tim willocks who sadly doesn't seem to have done anything for a while

T

Tom

Originally posted by whipped
Greg Bear - I'll even go as far as to say he's a better sci-fi athor that Clarke, although I like the fact he's not confined himself to sci-fi. Songs of Earth and Power is one of my all time favorite books.

Forge of God is an excellent book, as is the followup, the name of which escapes me.

I think my favourate author would be Stephen Donaldson, for his ability to make my heart pound with the intensity of his writing.

W

whipped

Originally posted by Tom
Forge of God is an excellent book, as is the followup, the name of which escapes me.

That would be Anvil of Stars, the story of the survivors of the Earth's destruction and their journey accross space. Eon and Eternity are my two favortie books by Greg. Eon was the first of his that I read.

L

Louster

Joseph Heller and Kurt Vonnegut both have great, unique writing styles, which not a lot of people do. Even people like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, while I enjoy reading their books, don't have especially unusual or novel ways of writing a novel, oho.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Jonaldo

Or maybe William Gibson, godfather of all that is cyberpunk.

As much as I liked neuromancer I really find gibson hard to read. His style of writing is almost too poetic, using obscure figures of speech.

Maybe i'm just a little too dim for it.

T

Testin da Cable

I'd have to say Jack Vance. His books are reasonably easy enough to read, but the man can create whole worlds in my mind with just a single paragraph :)

E

exxxie

Originally posted by hoggsboss
iain banks for his fiction books (not a science fiction fan)

you dont know what your missing out on here..

As for my fave... of those not listed above (Tolkien, Douglas, Eddings) I'd have to say: Charles Dickens.. just finished the Christmas Books to get me in the mood for this festive time of year, Christmas Carol is 90 pages of sheer brilliance.

"Peace on earth, good-will towards men"

J

Jonaldo

Sum ppl say that William Shakespear bloke is gr8

Users who are viewing this thread