Who's Who in Eve

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
One of the advantages of Eve is that we are all immediately on the same server so why not post your mains here and let us know who you are?

I am Natasha Donnan, building a new corp and based out of The Forge for now.

Sharkith

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Furnak Tye, based in The Forge -6 sec, part of a coalition of pirates and pvp'ers including Infod, COW, Cruel Intentions, -V-,Aggro etc :)

Gamah

Banned
Rejecta - in the forge area, currently flying a tech 2 fitted hurricane carebearing.
Electro Beats - My scout/miner bot.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Was Molly & Sally of Space Invaders, later Corp 1 - both chars were high profile pirates in high profile PvP corps.

Played Dixie Flatline (miner) and Linh Ywang (miner/gun boat) also.

4 accounts, one could easily triple log in the game on same comp, don't know how it is now.

Might go back when they release the Linux version.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Tempted to get this game.

What is the newbie part of the game like? Is it easy to pick up or does it require days:)p) of play?

taB

Part of the furniture
:)There's a lot to take in.

EDIT: Theres a new tutorial that's supposed to be pretty good at showing you the ropes, not tried it yet myself though.

Step 1: RTFM
Step 2: Read it again.

You can dive right into stuff but you won't be flying any huge ships for a bit. Prefer the smaller ones myself anyways.

Skill training is real time so your skills won't improve any faster if you play more (Skill time can be improved by training skills and implants). Time is spent gaining isk and spending isk. How you do that is where the game succeeds (or fails if you listen to whines).

Can elaborate more (probably for hours) if needed :)

Ben.

On a side note, someone appears to have half-inched 300bil from Bob. Apparently with allowed isk to real money conversion (through GTCs) that's over $20k!

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
On a side note, someone appears to have half-inched 300bil from Bob. Apparently with allowed isk to real money conversion (through GTCs) that's over $20k!

You seem to find all the gossip in this game! :)

taB

Part of the furniture
Yeah, it's a crap habit mate.

Some days I have too much time on my hands at work & it inevitably means I end up on forums. The two real name, work related ones get boring quickly (lack of profanity & bull-shit due to using real names) so I end up reading bollocks on Eve-O...

I refuse to read tabloid newspapers, but that forum's many times worse....shoot me now :)

Ben.

Edit: I'm also pretty hot at expert minesweeper now too

Alexandrinus

Fledgling Freddie
right time to start up with 'The Kaminjosvig', we have some experianced members, and alot of newcomers wich are at the same stage of the game.
I think we are now 4 peeps from NFD(count me to these) started in the last 3weeks.
What i have seen so far is that, if you want to get into a special roll its quite easy to archive it--->get the right starting char,with correct spec's for your prefered carreer.
So if you want a fighter start as one or you will have it hard.
Making out of a miner a fighter pilot will be tough at the beginning.

So if you want to start, load the game at the EVE website down try it out for free for 14 days.
We have an open channel for recruting join it and im shure you will get an invite.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Thadius you'd die of boredom mate, I quit after playing on and off for almost 2 years, sadly it's just too samey after a while.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
the problem is that a lot of people from DaoC go there thinking it will be the same as DaoC. So when they discover that you cannot just plug into PvP and play it is frustrating. The thing you soon discover is that you cannot do this and that every time you die you lose some money and that can vary dramatically depending on who your fighting with and what your fighting in.

As LordJOx and others know the really good PvP corps will provide ships for their members so the members can PvP as much as they like. That is the crunch issue. It is also a fascinating problem that you have to solve if your going to actually survive in the game.

If you get into the game and face losing a ship only to spend weeks in PvE replacing it of course the game will suck. If you get into the game to PvP and you have a group behind you providing the logistic support and backup to not have to be too anxious about losing your ship AND they fly with you then it improves no end. There are tons of bloodsucking corps out there only interested in accumulating isk from their members. But there are some bloody good corps as well. Its a case of finding the right place and giving it time.

Anyway look us up in the 'Kaminjosvig' channel and have a bit of a laugh.

I am really enjoying building the corp we topped 34 members last night with people who are in the game as long as 4 years. Of those I would say we have 24 active over all time zones. Which is not bad for a corp that started recruiting 4 weeks ago. I think we need around another 30 to make it really move but we need to take stock for now.

:)

Sharkith

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Yes DAoC players will be abit put off that you cant jump directly into PvP or even get away unscathed by dieing. It is a game you gotta be really patient in, but then again it can be well fun when you get the hang of it.

And here it is also strength in numbers, never fly alone ;). Like I did yesterday - boom!

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
have you been following events then Manisch?

Some sentimental brabbling:

I've been watching Molle on his PvP alt Shrike running away after Che Guevarra and me took care of his wingman. That was in G-5EN2 at the time when Evolution stopped mining and came out to play in Armageddons, early after the game started.

He is a twister, often he is looking for an accident to start war with some party, to justify the party. Like the Nazis when they attacked Poland saying "from now on we will shoot back" where it was the Nazis who organized an attack, disguised as Polish. He is a good leader but he will not go into a full scale war with anyone who could cost him his head. The twisting is unneeded in the way I see honor in EVE.

When m0o and the Forsaken Empire destroyed the Fountain Alliance Molle came for a visit with a huge fleet (that was before PoS-warfare). We had around 70 Battleships around there finishing off the remaining FA resistance, they were allied with Evo/BoB, and dispatched a few of Molle's ships quickly. He then started negotiations and paid his way out, claiming that he only came to pick up the remaining loot on the forums (Like anyone would pick up any loot while m0o and Forsaken Empire (the PvP force at that point of time) are around.).

From that time on he had some of the better ex (New) Venal Alliance corps joining BoB and also started to recruit very good individual pilots from kick ass corps like m0o and Space Invaders.

I crossed my ways with BoB later again, while being a member of Corp 1 who was a Curse Alliance corp killing those Xetic and Stain Alliance sheeps and what can I say, to my standards of PvP all BoB was good for was flying in double-MWD Mallers. And I was really good at EVE-PvP, unlike in DAoC.

Still, kind of achievement to keep BoB running politically, but I liked small famous corps like Space Invaders, Cult of Cthulhu, Zombies, Jokers, Naga and so on more. It's way cooler to shape the universe and be recognized on the whole shard with 3-30 players than with a mega alliance.

So my advice to you: Keep it small and keep your word.

I played in the Space Invaders for a long time, we were a pioneers in the pirating field and had a so called "golden word". We never broke any promise we have been giving to our enemies - we've been much into the extortion business, buying ships of guys and letting them fly away with pods :). Later on I joined some of the alliance warfare with Corp 1, fighting in the CA with nice corps like the old RUS/VoTF and so on.

I had the joy to fly with guys like Setec, Archain, drunkenmaster, Seleene, C4W3 and so on. The time with C4W3 was funny, we took with our small corp on 4 Horsemen and Cyvok + Xetic backup alone, they disbanded the corps a few weeks later into the war (I've heard it's reformed now again.).

Some time in the past CCP had an entry going on their official website, most and least popular corps in the universe, based on corp standings:

"The ten least popular corporations

1. m0o Corp ...

2. Space Invaders are a smaller pirate corp that made their name robbing unwary travellers. Known to be quite reasonable - if you pay their ransom. Considered pioneers in their "trade".

6. Corp 1 are a seemingly growing pirate corporation, operating mostly in the Syndicate region. Their recent increase in numbers is believed to be caused by pilots migrating from other smaller corps in the area.
"

So you can imagine a lot of guys were just leaving the solar systems when we entered.

EVE was kick ass. I left when Ravens were unbalanced, a guy with 500k skill points being able to take out a fully PvP trained 20m skill points pilot was just a bit too much of unbalance for me :). Then there were those insta jump book marks and and safe spots and log off exploits protecting guys who usually outnumber you 10 : 1 and it was the only way to get a fight for me/us - after the whole shard knew you :/.

Anyway, good game, good memories, I might be back at some point, but I doubt it. For now I chat with friends who still play and keep me updated. Don't like the direction the game went to, I loved dogfighting multiple TL2 frigs with a TL1 frig and small fleet fights, like 5-10 vs 5-10 and not the blobbing.

MrCase Profile, MrCase Details - FileFront.com - some of the movies from my time in SPVD/Corp 1. You'll find much better movies from Archain/drunkenmaster, who kinda started the whole EVE movie thing.

What are your observations on the game and the best moments so far?

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
I liked that post Manisch. :)

I think a lot of stuff has changed now in the game since you were there. There are an awful lot of new dimensions to the game but essentially I am with you on small roaming gangs and trying to avoid major blob warfare. I am also not really interested in holding territory and I think most of the corp are of that mind.

The challenge for me is exactly that - sticking to your word. To build a corp with the promise that you made to people. I think we have the right people on board now but it all takes time and it is a challenge to try and get that sentiment and 'feel'. The depth of the game is impressive and its quite a challenge to get people thinking in a particular way and to identify with a corp ethos.

What do we do?
We have just elected our first steerspeople who are basically the political controllers of the corp, they are members of the corp council and decide on Corp policy. Their big task is to keep in touch with the members and spend a portion of the wallet on members wellbeing. Then we have the Logistics wing which is only starting.

The Logistics Challenge
At the moment we are setting up our administration. These are the guys interested in logistics and supply/resupply. I have found a few great people who take a lot of satisfaction in building stuff for the corporation. They are like druids except their job takes place over weeks rather than a few rounds of combat. This group has been the most challenging to get hold of but I have few good people (people I can trust) to help us get started. We have also been given stuff by friends from DaoC and beyond who basically are looking after us as we have got started.

Recruitment
This was tough at the start not many people are mad enough to join a corp of 2. But two phases in and we have the potential now we have some old timers who like the corp and enjoy being in it. The big issue now is to up the ante a bit and start running ops more regularly.

We are in low sec hunting tonight for example but like I said we need more people running different operations - we are not done by a long shot.

So far my best moments have all been the milestones for the corporation - once an old friend signs up later this week we will hit 35 members which is a solid start. Also getting in a few serious old timers - that was a great achievement.

Low points
Spending a few months in a corporation and watch my personal ISK drop from 250 million to 30 million and get nothing out of them except wasting night after night on mining ops to build ships for the directors....

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
You sound like you're very dedicated, if half of your members has the same attitude the future will be bright :).

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
we had a nice run out in low sec although being in a gang of small ships (assault frigs and frigs) made it hard to find targets. The lag spikes since the most recent patch got worse and worse. Eventually the server crashed.

The worst thing about all of this is I am not so sure I can even run missions in this kind of environment.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Maybe it's time for them to split the shard.

It would maybe make come a lot of the old timers back to the game too.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Yeah the lag nowdays makes the game pretty much unplayable. Would be a cool idea to make an entire new shard, fresh start to anyone there. However unlikely :)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
very unlikely all the statements coming out of CCP is that they value its uniqueness. There is more new hardware incoming though. At times the screen freeze just now can be a tad risky when your in a level 4 or PvP. Still it affects everyone.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
I guess EVE is the example why most mmos dont have single-shard games. The best gaming experience true, but prolly a technical nightmare to maintain and the end-user might suffer abit because of that. I mean, 1 hour downtime every day and game more or less unplayable on sunday evenings...

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I guess EVE is the example why most mmos dont have single-shard games. The best gaming experience true, but prolly a technical nightmare to maintain and the end-user might suffer abit because of that. I mean, 1 hour downtime every day and game more or less unplayable on sunday evenings...

Back when the server had 7k max people 100 vs 100 battles were lag fasts, system reaction time up to several minutes and so on. Never liked it.

If you follow the older developer blogs they mentioned a point where they'd open a second shard. But they kept moving this point :O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom