Who's Going to/from United?

X

xane

Originally posted by stu
Beckham frequently delivers, especially when the pressure's on.

Beckham has only recently come back to form as far as free kicks and corners are concerned, might be due to the last injury tho.

M

mank!

Man Utd didn't score a single goal from a corner in 02/03.

M

mank!

In all competitions I think. Or at least it was the case until a couple of weeks ago

*goes to check*

[edit: Can't find anything on OPTA about anything, but according to the OPTA index a couple of weeks ago Man Utd had failed to score from a corner all season, think that might have just been premiership come to think of it.]

S

stu

Originally posted by bodhi
It was a shame Carlos' "one decent free kick" was probably the best free-kick of all time. Obviously that proves he can't take a free kick for shit. The belter he scored in the World Cup against China and the numerous ones he's scored in La Liga also prove this.

It's amazing how ill-educated some English football fans can be (proved by the fact they think they can win the World Cup again). Just cos it isn't on The Premiership, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Tbh.

I guess Phil and Gary Neville must be great strikers then - their two or three goals have been pretty special.

Roberto Carlos doesn't score "numerous" free kicks, that's the whole point. His record of kicks on target (let alone goals) is crap. And his Le Tournoi goal pales in comparison to examples from Rivelino, Cruyff, Di Stefano and Zico - world class players who will go down in history as all-time greats, and regularly banged away absolutely spectacular free kicks, neither of which Roberto Carlos does.

And last time I checked none of them graced the Premiership either.

tbh.

C

Clowneh!

Originally posted by mank!
In all competitions I think. Or at least it was the case until a couple of weeks ago

*goes to check*

[edit: Can't find anything on OPTA about anything, but according to the OPTA index a couple of weeks ago Man Utd had failed to score from a corner all season, think that might have just been premiership come to think of it.]

i dunno, but i think the commentators in one of their matches were just commenting on how they aint scored from a corner, then they did. i think. or i mighta been dreaming.

anyhooo their 'corner' goals were pretty shabby yeh :)

M

mank!

Yeah Clown, Andy Gray on Sky was saying about it but they didn't score afterwards. Not directly at least. Tbh it doesn't matter much, they'll manage to score goals from wherever on the pitch.

M

mank!

Originally posted by stu
Roberto Carlos doesn't score "numerous" free kicks, that's the whole point. His record of kicks on target (let alone goals) is crap. And his Le Tournoi goal pales in comparison to examples from Rivelino, Cruyff, Di Stefano and Zico - world class players who will go down in history as all-time greats, and regularly banged away absolutely spectacular free kicks, neither of which Roberto Carlos does.

Aye, Carlos just hits the ball as far as he can in the direction of the goal and hopes it's on target or gets a deflection. When they do get scored they're entirely flukey but look impressive. Half the free kicks Carlos takes Beckham (and others) could quite easily put away. The free kick taker at Swindon does the same, just powers it straight at goal. He's scored a few but this is Nationwide Division 2 and not La Liga.

Roberto Carlos sucks at free kicks, basically. It's stupid that he gets to take them all when they've got players like Zidane, Raul and Figo on the pitch :/

C

Clowneh!

Originally posted by mank!
Yeah Clown, Andy Gray on Sky was saying about it but they didn't score afterwards. Not directly at least. Tbh it doesn't matter much, they'll manage to score goals from wherever on the pitch.

apart from corners :p

C

Clowneh!

watching real madrid play the way they did against juve was depressing :(

S

stu

Yeah, they were poor. Just goes to show noone's invincible.

A

Ash!

Originally posted by stu
Yeah, they were poor. Just goes to show noone's invincible.

Thats horse shite. To Listen to Wenger and Viera, Aresnal are still the best thing since sliced bread. Not arsed anyway being champions and all that

C

Clowneh!

Originally posted by Ash!
I'm an Arsenal supporter. I don't care if we win any medals, cups and trophies. It doesn't matter to me that Arsenal aren't Premiership champions. While Arsenal are the best thing since sliced bread, Manchester United are clearly the best thing since the internet. And before the internet. Oh.

:p :D

B

bodhi

Originally posted by Clowneh!
watching real madrid play the way they did against juve was depressing :(

I thought it was a fucking great match tbh. Juventus played Real style football going forwards, and wouldn't let Real play Real style football going back. A great demonstration of how attack isn't the best form of defence, good defending is. Del Piero's goal was absolute magic, Nedved's goal was sublime, and Buffon proved again why he is the best goalkeeper in the world. All in all, it was a thorough humping for the "best team in the world".

The fact that it shut the Spanish and English press up about the quality of Italian football was merely a bonus.

E

ECA

I watched the real vs juve match on terrestrial and it was a spanking good match.

Seemed like juve hung back a lot and cut off reals attacks and then countered and pushed a lot of men up whilst a lot of real players were still pushing forward into juves half of the pitch.

B

bodhi

Juventus didn't hang back tho, they just did what they are the best in the world at, getting people behind the ball.

C

Clowneh!

oh no, it was a great match to watch. no doubt. just watchign real play like that. it was weird, almost wrong. i cant explain, im tired so just let me talk shit :)

oh didnt you feel sorry for nedved?

B

bodhi

Hell yeah. If anyone deserves to be at that final, it's Pavel Nedved. He's been pretty stunning most of the way through the competition, and deserves European Player of the Year this year. No doubt now it will go to Ronaldo (again), or even worse, Ruud van Nisteltap-in.

K

kameleon

C4 need to bring back italian football on a sunday.

Nedveds goal was well taken, but Del Piero's was pure class.

B

bodhi

Football Italia is on Eurosport now, with pretty much all the same people doing it. They got rid of Peter Brackley tho :/

C

Clowneh!

eurosport commentary sounds like its pre recorded and put over the top of the match :(

B

bodhi

It isn't too bad for the Serie A matches. It ain't Peter Brackley tho.

S

stu

Originally posted by Ash!
Thats horse shite. To Listen to Wenger and Viera, Aresnal are still the best thing since sliced bread. Not arsed anyway being champions and all that

What the fuck are you talking about plz?

T

Tom

Originally posted by Clowneh!
eurosport commentary sounds like its pre recorded and put over the top of the match :(

Its done in a remote studio, not at the match. That is why it sounds so flat.

Users who are viewing this thread