Who's Going to/from United?

S

stu

OK, I'm not an MUFC fan, but they're the most talked about team, and their summer transfer activity is always the focus of attention. But feel free to drop in comments about other teams (ie what the fuck is Wenger gonna do to sort out his defence?)

So who do you think is gonna make the trip to/from Old Trafford?

Personally I think Beckham will stay. Giggs will go. Barthez will go if Fergie gets a decent offer for him, otherwise he'll warm the bench. Veron - that's a toughie. I can't see anyone buying him, but also Fergie still seems to have faith in the shit lamer. Van the man won't be going anywhere, obviously, and the majority of the rest of the team will be hanging around, although I could see Fergie making a couple of cuts in order to secure the right players coming the other way.

Robinson and Kewell will come from Leeds, they're almost definites. I think there's a good chance Ronaldinho could be on his way from Paris St Germain. The big one though, I could see Rivaldo possibly pulling a red shirt on in the near future. It's the kind of ultra high profile move that Fergie's been known to make in the past, and he probably thinks that after Veron he deserves some luck this time. Certainly, I could see him becoming a much more formidable presence for United than the Argentinian ever was.

S

Sar

Beckham
Giggs
Veron
Van Nist:
All staying

Barthez
Blanc:
Going

Robinson
Kluivert:
In.

S

stu

I can't see Kluivert going to United, given Fergie thinks he's a twat.

M

mank!

Originally posted by stu
The big one though, I could see Rivaldo possibly pulling a red shirt on in the near future. It's the kind of ultra high profile move that Fergie's been known to make in the past, and he probably thinks that after Veron he deserves some luck this time.

Personally I can't see that happening. He's probably too old for Fergie and secondly Rivaldo's got a repuation. Can you imagine him working under Fergie? It wouldn't work :)

I imagine Barthez will go and Fergie will find a youngish keeper to replace him who'll become the next Schmeichel. I don't think he'd get rid of either Giggs or Beckham but at a push I imagine it'd be Beckham that'd leave if either of them had to. Blanc's obviously out, but that's not going to make much of an impact.

I imagine Ronaldinho will join Utd and if not Arsenal, although Arsenal may want to spend their budget on defenders instead of Ronaldinho. In addition I think Fergie will go for another proven striker - such as Kluivert - to play up front with Ruud, which would make them pretty frightening.

As for Leeds offloading players stu, apparently the chairman has said Monkey Heed won't need to offload anymore big name players such as Kewell and Robinson unless the players themselves put in a request for a move. Although you never know, Reid might want to get rid of Kewell or Robinson.

O

old.UKTwister

Only person i can see going is blanc.

I know fergie is interested in some 18 year old spanish defender from the spanish second division.

S

stu

Re: Re: Who's Going to/from United?

Originally posted by mank!
Personally I can't see that happening. He's probably too old for Fergie and secondly Rivaldo's got a repuation. Can you imagine him working under Fergie? It wouldn't work :)
True, but like I said, Fergie's done that sort of thing before. You can't say Eric the Red didn't have a reputation - but going to United turned out to be the best thing for him. In a way I'd like to see Alan Smith go to Old Trafford, for the exact same reason. Although I think Alan Smith is a no-talented cock.

The reason I thought Rivaldo is because he's out of favour in Milan. He's not adjusted well to the much slower Italian game, and preferred the freer moving La Liga (which the Premiership is much more like than Serie A). Plus he's said for a long time that he wants to play in the Premiership. And his wage demand is high - high enough that Barca let him go on a free to not have to pay it. But not too high for Man Utd. Of the possible transfers though, it's probably the least likely, I think Ronaldinho is far more likely.

I imagine Barthez will go and Fergie will find a youngish keeper to replace him who'll become the next Schmeichel.
Well, that's what he'll try to do. Fergie's been looking for the next Schmeichel since he left. The bugger better not turn his eye on the Saints tho!

In addition I think Fergie will go for another proven striker - such as Kluivert - to play up front with Ruud, which would make them pretty frightening.

Fergie thinks Kluivert is a twat, like I said. A few years ago he refused to even answer Fergie's calls when he was interested in him, basically thinking he was too big for Utd. That's the kind of thing Fergie doesn't forget.

As for Leeds offloading players stu, apparently the chairman has said Monkey Heed won't need to offload anymore big name players such as Kewell and Robinson unless the players themselves put in a request for a move.

That's bollocks. Simply because unless the Chairman is going to stick 90million into the club himself, it's not his decision to make. Leeds HAVE to sell, or they'll go bust.

M

mank!

Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to/from United?

Originally posted by stu
The reason I thought Rivaldo is because he's out of favour in Milan. He's not adjusted well to the much slower Italian game, and preferred the freer moving La Liga (which the Premiership is much more like than Serie A). Plus he's said for a long time that he wants to play in the Premiership. And his wage demand is high - high enough that Barca let him go on a free to not have to pay it. But not too high for Man Utd. Of the possible transfers though, it's probably the least likely, I think Ronaldinho is far more likely.

Apparently Rivaldo has said he'd like to play for Liverpool, although Houlier denied he'd try to sign him. Probably because like most decent managers they focus on cheap youth who will bring them future success and not pay millions for an aged proven player who you'll only get a couple of seasons out of. I think this is why Ronaldinho's much more likely to move to Man Utd, as he's still quite young and as such has time on his side.

Originally posted by stu
Fergie thinks Kluivert is a twat, like I said. A few years ago he refused to even answer Fergie's calls when he was interested in him, basically thinking he was too big for Utd. That's the kind of thing Fergie doesn't forget.

Didn't know that :) You're right, Fergie would not forget about that sort of thing. I can still imagine him splashing out on a proven international striker. Someone like Shevchenko perhaps, he's been linked with Utd a fair bit.

Originally posted by stu
That's bollocks. Simply because unless the Chairman is going to stick 90million into the club himself, it's not his decision to make. Leeds HAVE to sell, or they'll go bust.

True, and chairman generally are unreliable :/

I can't imagine them letting anymore big names go, especially people like Kewell go. What they should be doing is getting rid of the high earners who aren't vital to the club.

T

Tom

Utd have spent a heck of a lot of money over the past couple of years, they can't afford any more big name signings without selling some assets.

Blanc and Barthez out, a new goalie in.

M

mr.Blacky

Re: Re: Re: Who's Going to/from United?

Originally posted by stu

Kluivert is a twat.

M

mank!

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
Utd have spent a heck of a lot of money over the past couple of years, they can't afford any more big name signings without selling some assets.

Yes they can.

M

mank!

Beckham valued at '£35m'

Taken from BBC Sport

Well, I can imagine Real Madrid and other rich clubs being very willing to pay this much, safe in the knowledge that the amount they spend on him will probably be recouped via merchandise, shrt sales in particular. Beckham is more than a footballer, he's a marketing force. However this may not signal that he's leaving, but they seem to be open to offers now which is progress from before. I wonder...

Nope, Swindon have got £100k budget ;(

T

Trem

Apparently Real Madrid want Beckham so that they can sell their merchandise in the East, Beckham is meant to be huge over there. It seems like they are after him for his name and not for his skizzles.

M

mank!

Originally posted by Trem
Apparently Real Madrid want Beckham so that they can sell their merchandise in the East, Beckham is meant to be huge over there. It seems like they are after him for his name and not for his skizzles.

Well I doubt they'd fork that out just for the money he'll make but yes, he is big in the East. The club would stand to make millions out of merchandise in the East alone. Plus you've got the UK and of course Spain, provided he moves to Madrid that is.

I imagine they'd play him as well though.

T

Trem

Instead of who though?

They are already the best club side in the world, I really can't see who they would leave out.

M

mank!

Well his position is on the right wing which is where Figo plays. Chances are if he joins they'll just fit him in on the right wing and play Figo a bit further up front in the centre. No idea though, although I think Figo can play on either wing.

Still if Beckham joins Macca is well and truly out of the frame. I wouldn't be surprised if he returned to the Premiership this season.

S

stu

No way could both Figo and Beckham play for Real. If they move Figo to the left, that means goodbye Zidane - not gonna happen. They won't play 5 across the middle, and neither Figo nor Beckham can play a centre midfield role.

Plus, the transfer market has pretty much collapsed in the past year. I don't think anyone's going to pay £35mill for a player these days. United are basically saying "if you want him, you're going to have to pay an astronomical amount of money for him" - the sort of sum that could pick them up 2 or even 3 world class midfielders to replace him.

C

Clowneh!

unless their clubs say u need to pay an astronomical fee for them too :)

R

raw

Blanc and Barthez are gone for sure maybe Giggs as well, i would probably expect one more to go also but i dont see it being Becks.

Coming in i can see us going for Robinson as a replacement for Barthez, then Ronaldinio, maybe Defoe from West Ham on the cheap as theres already been rumours of this, also he has had his eye on Kewell but if so then Giggs is playing in Italy next season and a move worth considering would be offloading Veron and going for Joe Cole.

B

bodhi

Beckham isn't good enough for Real Madrid. He might be good at free-kicks, but Real already have Carlos, Zidane, Figo and Raul, none of whom are exactly noted as being bad free-kick takers.

But, like I said in a previous thread, at least he can keep Macca company on the bench.

C

Clowneh!

oh i didnt see that one :rolleyes:

anyway

what case? he did what he usually does and blasted the ball as hard as he could, and with those allegedly light balls they happened to swerve an awful lot.

amazing to watch that ONE free kick, but i still dont rate him as a free kick taker.

B

bodhi

I forgot sorry. Beckham is the greatest free kick taker ever and will never be beaten.

I'd rather watch Carlos miss than Beckham score, because you know that if Carlos scores one, it's going to fucking rock. But then Carlos proved how much better he was than Beckham (as a footballer) in the Man U Real 1st leg.

I rate Del Piero above them both tho tbh.

X

xane

Originally posted by raw
maybe Defoe from West Ham on the cheap as theres already been rumours of this,

West Ham are more likely to offload the higher earners, some are out of contract anyway. AFAIK Defoe is still in contract, there is no reason to let him go cheap, only an "offer they can't refuse" (a la Ferdinand) would be more likely.

S

stu

Roberto Carlos has scored like 1 decent free kick, ever. About 5 years ago. He can't take a free kick for shit. Christ knows how he ever gets to take a free kick with Zizou on the same pitch. On the other hand, Beckham frequently delivers, especially when the pressure's on.

B

bodhi

Originally posted by xane
as a free kick taker ?

Yep. There's a reason why just outside the box is called Zona Del Piero you know.

B

bodhi

Originally posted by stu
Roberto Carlos has scored like 1 decent free kick, ever. About 5 years ago. He can't take a free kick for shit. Christ knows how he ever gets to take a free kick with Zizou on the same pitch. On the other hand, Beckham frequently delivers, especially when the pressure's on.

It was a shame Carlos' "one decent free kick" was probably the best free-kick of all time. Obviously that proves he can't take a free kick for shit. The belter he scored in the World Cup against China and the numerous ones he's scored in La Liga also prove this.

It's amazing how ill-educated some English football fans can be (proved by the fact they think they can win the World Cup again). Just cos it isn't on The Premiership, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread