Drink Whiskey tasting

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
If it's the 12yo glen ord, you might want to concider stacking up on what ever you can get your hands on,
last I heard "rumor" that particular bottling was being discontinued.

It was the 12 yo and yes they are going to or have discontinued it :mad:
I am going to suggest to my husband that an urgent trip to the black isle is required and indeed necessary; maybe they have a few bottles left.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Just finished a bottle of The Balvenie double wood finish, was tasty and not expensive.

If you liked that you should try the Balvenie 21 Year Old Port Wood Finish, twice the price but worth every penny IMO. I agree about the Jura, tried some and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I had highland park 12 yo as a night cap yesterday at 6pm :D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
If you liked that you should try the Balvenie 21 Year Old Port Wood Finish, twice the price but worth every penny IMO. I agree about the Jura, tried some and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Aaaaaaabsolutely; that's not the first time i've heard it's praises sung. I had a romantic overnight stay up on the side of Loch Lomond and they had that exact malt but at £11 a glass. I decided to pick another port wood finish and I regret it now!

Edit: woosht, £81 a bottle.

old.user4556

I've tried that too, my bro-in-law got that as a birthday gift last year and we both very much enjoyed it.

old.user4556

So I was up at Woodwinters in Bridge of Allan at the weekend and got to taste a 1 of 400 bottling from a 20 year old Highland Park, single cask, cask strength (57.6% iirc).

Oh. My. Sweet. Jesus.

Fucking awesome. Not too bad at £50 for a bottle.

I've also just picked up a standard issue 16 year old Lagavulin, going down very nicely; full on in your face nutty peat with sherry tones throughout. Nice.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Brother had a bottle of tobermory ´72, lmited whatchamacallit.

Gave me a nice glass of it and after having a nice taste on it...i made a whisky+coke like no other :p

Any whisky-nut goes crazy every time i tell that, but they can go f*ck themselves as a whisky+coke is like any other drink, it has finer and worse mixes.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Toth in going against the grain and telling us about it shocker :m00:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Toth in going against the grain and telling us about it shocker :m00:

There's a difference in "going against the grain" and laughing at hoitytoity fancypants getting shocked how you do X :p

I find the opportunity to make a 20€ glass of whisky+coke better then the opportunity to taste whisky X.

Oh and about telling about it? Go look at the f*cking forum moron, it's pretty much what happens from every single poster.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Ok lets for arguments sake say that that you are going against "hoity toity". Reguardless in my opinion its very disrespectful to the friend who gave you that whisky. He probably payed a lot of money for it and personally out of respect for him I would have given it the respect he did, or asked for some rail stuff. Each to their own of course

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ok lets for arguments sake say that that you are going against "hoity toity". Reguardless in my opinion its very disrespectful to the friend who gave you that whisky. He probably payed a lot of money for it and personally out of respect for him I would have given it the respect he did, or asked for some rail stuff. Each to their own of course

I'm not going against the hoity toity, there's no war going on you numpty.

It was my brother, but think you missed that with your pro reading skills and he thought it was funny too.

In any case if you offer someone something they can stick it up their arse for all you should care.

Ofcourse you can't see the fun in it, because you're one of those hoitytoity morons who think they have a right to say how others should drink. THAT is what i'm against, preachy f*ckers.

Oh and before you say it; yes, you're preaching. You're telling i'm disrespectful to my brother even if you know nothing about the issue, outside that we had fun with a high end whisky.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I'm out before this even starts. Enjoy you're opinion you're entitled to it.

but
Ofcourse you can't see the fun in it, because you're one of those hoitytoity morons who think they have a right to say how others should drink. THAT is what i'm against, preachy f*ckers.

Oh and before you say it; yes, you're preaching. You're telling i'm disrespectful to my brother even if you know nothing about the issue, outside that we had fun with a high end whisky.

Classy.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's not an opinion. You're making an issue out of something you're not even involved in.

You're making an issue out of something others had fun with just because you think the whisky is somehow sacred.

Yes, you're a moron, a preachy f*ck and a hoity toity at that.

Oh and thanks for being a perfect example of the moronic answers i get for that story, just proves how anal people get.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
In a more related note I was given a bottle of Johnny Walker Gold label the other night as a gift. Haven't tried it yet and have no idea if it's any good (I know its blended) But I'm looking forward to trying it :D

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
All this talk of Highland and Islands whiskies is making me consider my favourites.

I still reckon Lagavulin 16 is my personal favourite.
Honourable mentions go to:
Caol Ila - Islay
Tobermory - Mull
Talisker - Skye
Cragganmore - Speyside

Tobermory/Ledaig always holds a special place for me because I try to make a point of visiting the distillery when I visit my folks on Mull. I also love the bottle. Green glass with a distinctive decanter shape.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
In a more related note I was given a bottle of Johnny Walker Gold label the other night as a gift. Haven't tried it yet and have no idea if it's any good (I know its blended) But I'm looking forward to trying it :D

I love a bit of Johnny Walker black label, so smooth. Never tried gold label.

old.user4556

There's a difference in "going against the grain" and laughing at hoitytoity fancypants getting shocked how you do X :p

If you get some sort of perverse buzz out of that then that says something about you mate :).

Re the whisky, if you had to add coke to make it palatable, then you're obviously not into drinking single malts and could have used any old blended shite to have a "whisky and mixer". It wouldn't matter if it was a rare 100 year old or 10 year old grain whisky, it'll probably taste like coke with some spirit through it.

I'm not sure what you were trying to prove, i don't think anyone would be 'hoity toity' about it, they may however think you're retarded.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
For it's price it's very good blended whiskey. Obviously there is better, but not that cheap :)

old.user4556

It could just be because I like a bit more smoke in my glass.

Lethul

FH is my second home
I can't drink Whisky :(
I get puke sensations instantly, I want to be able to drink Whisky tho for the coolness. So I try regularly with the same effect.

Need pro tips plix :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If you get some sort of perverse buzz out of that then that says something about you mate :).

Re the whisky, if you had to add coke to make it palatable, then you're obviously not into drinking single malts and could have used any old blended shite to have a "whisky and mixer". It wouldn't matter if it was a rare 100 year old or 10 year old grain whisky, it'll probably taste like coke with some spirit through it.

I'm not sure what you were trying to prove, i don't think anyone would be 'hoity toity' about it, they may however think you're retarded.

The point of the laughs is that the reaction is so over the top. Much like you'd laugh at someone who rages over some pointless gaming thing.

The point of the mix is that it makes for one hell of a whisky+coke, i like a raw malt as much as the next whisky nutter, but the whisky+coke is a drink on its own and it has as much variation in it. Quite like irish coffee has several levels of yum in them. It's not just coke+spirit taste. I'll use the old forum rule; if you haven't tried it, you don't know it ;)

I'm not trying to prove anything really, just saying that it's hoitytoity to get all hell bent over how someone else drinks stuff and i think that's a fair thing to say.

old.user4556

I can't drink Whisky :(
I get puke sensations instantly, I want to be able to drink Whisky tho for the coolness. So I try regularly with the same effect.

Need pro tips plix :)

I got introduced to whisky properly when I was about 23.

I had tried it previously and it gave me insta-puke. My mate's dad gave me a glass of Glenmorangie port wood finish at new year and instantly liked it; it had a real port / sherry taste, like a liquor and smelled like Christmas pudding in a glass. I think the key to me liking it was to start with something sweeter, almost watered down from a straight whisky to a "port with whisky" taste to it.

I also realised that it was a drink to be drunk slowly and enjoyed; small sips over a period of time, infront of a log fire with a hot blonde stroking your member. From there, I branched out and tried other things - I still disliked some whiskies, but I gradually got into more peaty malts, sherry wood finishes and medicinal malts (Laphroaig and Lagavulin) over time.

Get a good single malt, don't drink blended shite, start off on something like Macallan 10 year old or Highland Park 12 year old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom