Drink Whiskey tasting

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Just came home from a Whiskey tasting in one of the largest liquor stores over here. Some tasty suff and pretty interesting background informations. 8 different Whiskeys from the Islay area (not just Islay´s though).

It all happened in the storage room, which was literally filled with shelves full of Whiskey. Best one I spotted was a bottle from 1950 that went for 750 €. o_O

Attachments

• Foto.jpg
    Foto.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Foto2.jpg
    Foto2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Foto3.jpg
    Foto3.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 9

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Whiskey or Whisky ?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ah that's better, now I can work this out!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Islay malts are awesome; I've had two bottles of Caol Ila 16 year old distiller's edition now and it's fantastically peaty and medicinal, makes Laphroaig taste like Jack Daniels (and I used to love Laphroaig, but I've not been so into it lately).

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
We had a Caol Ila during the tasting. It was pretty good, but a bit too rough for my tastes (definitely needed some water to get the full flavour). Here´s the list btw if anyone is interested:

Arran 1996
Tobermory 10 yo
Bunnahabhain 12yo
Highland Part 8yo, MacPhail`s
Isle of Jura 18yo
Facadale (Talisker) 10yo
Caol Ila 1998
Bunnahabhain 1997, Wemyss

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'll take that Jura any time :)

old.user4556

Interesting, I've just finished my bottle of Jura and it's not bad, but not great. Not enough smoke for me.

TdC

Interesting, I've just finished my bottle of Jura and it's not bad, but not great. Not enough smoke for me.

I had the 16 and it's very mild. My fave is still Highland Park 18, but hey :)

Recently had the bruichladdich pedro ximenes finish. was teh yum :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I remember coming home really rather drunk and wanting to answer this thread. Weird. Can't remember what though :p

old.user4556

I had the 16 and it's very mild. My fave is still Highland Park 18, but hey :)

Recently had the bruichladdich pedro ximenes finish. was teh yum :D

Highland park 18 YO is absolutely tremendous :).

What's the Pedro Ximenes finish? A year in madeira or port casks? I do love port wood finishes.

TdC

Pedro Ximenes is an extremely sweet sherry mate. I usually have it with some hefty cheese, or after a meal of tapas to go with a cappuccino.

The Bruich I had was this one: Bruichladdich

old.user4556

Sounds awesome, will check that out. Won't be cheap :).

TdC

if I recall correctly, I paid 73 euros for it. according to xe that's 63.6 units of your funny money :)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Pedro Ximenez is a white grape variety primarily used to make sweet sherry. (PX)

When the sherry houses are "done" with the casks, they often go to Scotland to be used as "finishers" for whisky,

old.user4556

Just finished a bottle of The Balvenie double wood finish, was tasty and not expensive.

Had a glass of Lagavulin 16 year old last night - POW! Right in the face with the peat, stronger than a Laphroaig 10 year old and nicer to my palate. Might invest in a bottle along with a port wood finish something for the lighter occasion.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Went for dinner with the missus last night and afterwards had a 18 y/o Bowmore thats from Islay I guess? Was delicious but well expensive I gues haha

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Lagavulin 16 together with Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10 really are the benchmarks of Islay whisky.

If you enjoy the Laph 10, then try the cask vers. or Quarter Cask.
Personally I'm a big fan of Ardbeg's Uigeadail & Airigh nam beist.
and I do love the independant Islay sherry bottlings f.exp. Adelphi

However, if your a complete peak nutt.
then Bruichladdich Octomore and Ardbeg Supernova are the thing for you.

old.user4556

I used to be a big fan of Laphroaig 10 year old, but then I tried Caol Ila 1996 Distiller's Edition which gave me the smokey medicinal notes but a lot smoother and pleasant than Laphroaig. On going back to Laphroaig, I ended up not enjoying it :(.

Edit: I've just had a smell of the bottle, I think i've got one from a suspect batch, definitely not how I remember it - it smells like mud or tobacco smoke instead of peat and antiseptic.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Also a big fan of the Caol Ila, amazing peat. On the other side, Im an even bigger fan of the Bunnahabhain

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Gordon & MacPhail have a refill sherry cask version out of Caol Ila 93 or 95 "cant remember ;)
there's also a bottler called Elements of Islay wich are ok'ish cool concept and bottles anyway...and all cask str. the caol ila is 60'ish ;)

other independant bottleres to look for include Adelphi, Wilson & Morgan, Duncan Taylor, Douglas laing,

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Olga is there a good place online to learn all this stuff about this or is it just wiki? Where did you learn just by drinking? I find all this casking and finishing stuff really interesting I dont know why!

Olgaline

FH is my second home
well, it's kinda my job ;)
I'm still studying to be a Sommelier & I work in a wine, liquor & specialities store.

But enough about me, all i can say is that the best way to learn is to
go to tastings, other than that, do some reading on regions, traditions
and the distilleries and their history...

search the net for sites, read the wiki

This is preaty neat imo, click on a distillery and it'll promt info on that dist.
Whisky Map of Distilleries in Scotland (Malt Madness Distillery Data)

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
That is an awesome site! Very interesting reading.

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
We visited the Glen Ord distillery a few years back, the tour finished with a tasting of their whisky and it was fantastic. I am not a big whisky fan but that stuff was a mile away from the stuff you buy off the supermarket shelves.
We were so impressed we bought a (discounted) bottle which lasted quite a while as we only drank it on special occasions; I keep thinking of buying another bottle but the price - £40-50 puts me off.
Maybe another trip to Scotland should be planned with a few distillery visits :cheers:

Olgaline

FH is my second home
If it's the 12yo glen ord, you might want to concider stacking up on what ever you can get your hands on,
last I heard "rumor" that particular bottling was being discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom