Help which tv do I buy?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Hey you guys, I'm in the market for a 4k tv. It's between the Samsung Q9FN and the LG C8. However I have some concerns about both models, the Samsung apparently has issues with detecting Sky Q, whilst I have some concerns about image burn in on the LG. Spunking 3 grand on a tv means it's gonna need to last me at least 5 years. what would you do?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Don't know enough to guide you and certainly haven't heard about any Sky Q problem but all my tellys are Samsung and have no problems with them. My main one is the top model they had from a couple of years ago and it's still great.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd wait until next year and buy the same telly £1500 cheaper.

I don't get why people buy at the top of the market for the very marginal gains you make over the lower models.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Don't know enough to guide you and certainly haven't heard about any Sky Q problem but all my tellys are Samsung and have no problems with them. My main one is the top model they had from a couple of years ago and it's still great.

My understanding is the Sky Q box and Samsung's one connect box have hdmi handshake issues and causes the tv to "lose" the connection.
I'd wait until next year and buy the same telly £1500 cheaper.

I don't get why people buy at the top of the market for the very marginal gains you make over the lower models.
Samsung's 8k tv is due to be released later this month, so I am expecting a price drop soon.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Love my sony bravia. But someone will call me a @Bodhi fan boi i expect. Even though its the first sony tv i owned all the rest have been panasonic.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I do like the Sony A1 but I ruled it out as it's not one of the brighter oled screens.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Mine was just a lcd not oled so didnt look far into that tech other than it was fucking expensive and i couldnt justify the price hehe.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Lg also had an 8k tv at the last consumer show. But they said theres no plans to release it as theres no content and no demand

Which is why I'm just entering the world of 4k now, as there is just enough content to justify it. 5 years time you might be able to watch something more than the Olympics in 8k ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah we only just got access to one uhd channel on cable in the uk.

Though netflix and stuff streams 4k its still not the top 4k content with the best spund and stuff with it. Its compressed somewhere.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Which is why I'm just entering the world of 4k now, as there is just enough content to justify it. 5 years time you might be able to watch something more than the Olympics in 8k ;)

How much detail can we possibly fit though? Are we soon able to use zoom functions in real-time, change angle, slow-mo, etc.

Embattle

FH is my second home
8K is only going to be relevant on much larger screens (80" and Over), much like 4K only tends to appear on 40" and over since there is little benefit on smaller screens. The Samsung 8K TV isn't going to have much effect on high end 4K prices, there is no reason it would since there is a lack of competition at 8K and the fact it'll only appear near the largest TV sizes and probably in limited quantities. The battle between the high end 4Ks and the simple fact that like all electronic technology they'll depreciate means they'll continue to drop in price as we head into next year.

My parents just go an LG C8 and after some initial fiddling with picture settings, such as turning off power save, it does look lovely and while I did consider the screen burn in question I largely believe it isn't ever going to be an issue for most people. Personally my monitors 20+ years ago could in theory easily get screen burn in but I never got any where near the static image requirement or usage pattern to cause it. Some more info can be found here - Here's what you need to know about OLED screen burn-in

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
My understanding is the Sky Q box and Samsung's one connect box have hdmi handshake issues and causes the tv to "lose" the connection.

Samsung's 8k tv is due to be released later this month, so I am expecting a price drop soon.
First 8k broadcasts are scheduled for 2020 Olympics from what I have seen so far. Waste of money now, buying leading edge that will be half the price in 2 years. I've seen a few 8K demos even have one on our 3rd floor, it is amazing but I do wonder what use it will be outside of large scale wall setups for public spaces.

As for Sky Q issues on Samsung. A friend has a one and I have seen it working for many hours without issue. His was 64" and heard nothing from him about any problems.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
My parents just go an LG C8 and after some initial fiddling with picture settings, such as turning off power save, it does look lovely and while I did consider the screen burn in question I largely believe it isn't ever going to be an issue for most people. Personally my monitors 20+ years ago could in theory easily get screen burn in but I never got any where near the static image requirement or usage pattern to cause it. Some more info can be found here - Here's what you need to know about OLED screen burn-in

I have an older signature 4k OLED from LG - 3 years now - cost £3,500 at the time. In that time, I have noted a screen burn on one of the on-screen buttons on amazon - but you can only see it on a light grey background, and it disappears after a little while. These panels have a pixel jiggling technology on standby and a screensaver to prevent these sorts of effects. If you want to leave the panel on a static image for a long time, you might want to steer away, but its not really a problem on my panel.

I think if you are worried, perhaps buy from JL with a 5 year warranty (I did).

As for price drops, OLED screens are difficult to produce and the prices don't drop as markedly as other tech. Last year my panel was refreshed with Dolby Atmos and it was still retaillng at £3,500 at John Lewis. 4K might change this, but tbh, its difficult enough finding decent 4k media - there are still nearly no 60 fps 4k titles - 8k is going to be for the pure enthusiast.

Regarding the Samsung - try to look at this head-to-head with the LG - I did this, admittedly in the shop and at the time the OLED blew away the QLED.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
The Sky Q/Samsung problem is only with 2017/18 tv's apparently and it's those with the one connect box.

With regards to the Q9FN or the C8, it pretty much boils down to do I want slightly better black or much more brightness? I'm leaning towards more brightness as our living room is quite a light room and Mrs JBP| insists that there are lamps on when the sun does down.
Plus the Samsung looks ace when wall mounted ;)

It's the Sky Q issue that bothers me enough to consider the C8 the most.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Screen burn in generally isn't covered by manufacturer warranties or I believe the ones provided by retailers.

Yes every time the new model comes out for example LG C7 to C8 the price goes back up which is exacerbated because towards the end of life of the C7 retailers are trying to get rid of them. However when taken against the current model some LG panels have already dropped by over £1000 since coming out in May, this is because in an ironic twist the panels LG provide to other manufacturers such as Sony, Panasonic, etc. has resulted in more competition.

OLED vs QLED - OLED vs QLED - which is the best TV technology?

The One Connect Box is a nice idea, although the box itself is annoyingly boxy and the cable isn't cheap should you damage it between the One Box and TV.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I do like the Sony A1 but I ruled it out as it's not one of the brighter oled screens.

That was last year's model, they are on the AF8 now, seems slightly brighter than the LG:

Best TV: Sony AF8 vs LG C8 in the battle for 2018 4K UHD OLED supremacy

We've got one of their old LED Models (65XE9405 I think), an must admit black levels have never bothered me, I tend to use it watch sports rather than filums. For Sports you need better Motion Handling, and Sony's is second to none out there. Android TV can get annoying occasionally, but apart from Amazon and Netflix, you never really go near the Android bit.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
WebOS on LG sets is lush. Go try it in a store if you can. Really good UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom