Which Tablet for 5 year old?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Howdy,

I've read over a few of the threads regarding tablets on the forums, but what I am looking for is something i can purchase for my daughter. The intention is that she can watch movies/cartoons and play games while in the car. But more importantly something that she can use from an educational point of view, she really enjoys reading and spelling and I would like her to be able to expand upon that.

I was fiddling with the new Samsung galaxy note, and she really liked using the pen for writing letters and drawing (which really is great for getting her to practice her letters) However I think £400 quid for a 5 year old is a bit over the top, especially as it won't be her only gift.

So without having any clue on what people use tablets for, I'd like a bit of advise from people who have experience! Hopefully someone with a kid!!!

Thank you kindly

Calaen

Gee thanks :) But she's had an Etch a sketch since she was 2

ECA

I am a FH squatter
5? Sounds like the perfect age for an ipad.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
http://leapfrogstore.co.uk/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=111

seriously a 5 year old doesnt need a tablet .. get an ipod touch second hand or something if you need to
I beg to differ.
My 6 year old is getting more and more lessons aimed at technology toys, and my 4 year old snaffles my wife's S2 to play games, music and videos. He can get past the lock screen since he saw her do it ONCE and now can navigate Youtube and find the phonics alphabet videos she's been playing to him... all by himself. He's come along much further with technology based teaching rather than classroom based teaching.

So I would suggest if you're after a tablet for a 5 year old, get a tablet for general use for everyone in the house. It's increasingly looking like the only option that will work for our house. If it wasn't for the £319 price, I'd be considering a Nexus 10.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I beg to differ.
My 6 year old is getting more and more lessons aimed at technology toys, and my 4 year old snaffles my wife's S2 to play games, music and videos. He can get past the lock screen since he saw her do it ONCE and now can navigate Youtube and find the phonics alphabet videos she's been playing to him... all by himself. He's come along much further with technology based teaching rather than classroom based teaching.

So I would suggest if you're after a tablet for a 5 year old, get a tablet for general use for everyone in the house. It's increasingly looking like the only option that will work for our house. If it wasn't for the £319 price, I'd be considering a Nexus 10.
and i gave my 6 year old nephew a second hand ipod touch cause it was appropriate not to spend 500 quid on a gadget that prob get broken .. im not saying they cant do it im saying dont buy them a tablet.

Calaen

Thanks guys, I definitely need a tablet for her, she hates lugging her laptop about. Granted she's 5 and shouldn't complain, but she's looked after that for over a year now and she has a respect for her toys. So I am not concerned about it getting broken any more than I would if my wife was using it.

I'll have a wander around today, and have a look at what is available in the stores, so I can have a poke around with them.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would say a Nexus 7 the 8GB one will be available for around £130 - £150. Its no surprise I think the iPad is better and she would master it easier but its a lot of money for a 5 year old.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'd say iPad the App Store for children's Apps looks great, plus I think the UI is easier to make you're way around.

At £399 it's not cheap though but if she looks after her things then why not?

Our daughter is only 6 weeks old but as soon as she is able to I will put her an iPad in her hands so she can start learning, the use of tablets in schools is growing at a phenomenal rate give it a few years and all school work will be done on tablets as it is a great and fun way for children to learn.

iPad mini wifi is £269 not exactly breaking the bank.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
My niece uses my brothers iPad and she seems fine with it. She is only 3 so I was shocked to see her loading apps, finding photos etc and zooming in etc.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
iPad mini or if the budget is tight then a Nexus 7. If the budget is really right grab a Hannspad for £100 from Microdirect, it's a good little machine at a great price.

opticle

Part of the furniture
This thread really makes me want to post some sort of grumbly response along the lines of "In my day we just had corks and a ball of string to play with". :)

Get her a slinky ?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
opticle said:
This thread really makes me want to post some sort of grumbly response along the lines of "In my day we just had corks and a ball of string to play with". :)

Get her a slinky ?

I agree. A tablet of any sort is far too much money to be spent on a 5 year old unless of course they are gifted and at uni already or the tablet is £20.

Buy one for yourself. Let them use it sure but have their own? No way!

Calaen

I have no need for a tablet at all. She has a laptop, as she enjoys doing the out of school work. And a tablet is a far more sensible option than the old laptop I gave her.

She still plays with her dolls and rides her bike, and goes to dance classes and after school clubs on various nights.
A tablet just makes sense, I see it more as an investment for her.

SheepCow yeah thats the problem with the iPad atm most of the stuff she messes around on uses flash.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The Nexus Tablets no longer support flash but there is a Mathletics iOS app and one on the way for Android. Always check for Apps :)

Calaen

Thanks Guys.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Write off iAnything with those sites, they're both flash reliant (and a pain in the fucking arse from much experience with them!)

Nexus 7. Wouldn't worry about any percieved "difficult of use" - my 3 year old boy picked up both an iPad and nexus 7 one after each other with no difficulty in using either.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
my 4 yr old has speech difficulties, and the speech therapist suggest we get him to use some apps to see if it helps him. as side from trying to use the mrs's ipad as a frissbee he seemed very comfortable using it. and the apps the speech therapist recommended are really great.

would also recommend otterbox case for ipad if you end up getting one

opticle

Part of the furniture
I feel I should point out I don't think it's a bad thing you're getting kids tablets - though it is a lot of money for such a small person - and maybe I'm just a little bit jealous :X3: I think its great you guys are taking such an interest in your kids' educations and encouraging them like you are. :)

If you've got a child interested in Maths, I'd recommend checking out KenKen - they're similar to Sudoku but imo far better and they teach a lot more maths skills. They're good for all ages as there are harder and harder difficulties - and they're actually pretty fun/addictive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom