Which Mouse is best for Q3?

O

old.NeedAdvice

I currently use a shit MS mouse which came with my PC.
I need to know what is a good mouse to use, ie. Logitech etc.

K

kryt

or you could be normal.
No self respecting freak has a boomslang and actually paid for it. I'd stuggle to want to use one if i won it.
For me, i love my Logitech mouseman wheel : it's a matter of personal taste though, find something with 4 or more buttons, a wheel, and is comfortable : All higher end Logitech and MS mice are "good" for q3 as such, it's up to you really though. Some people swear by broomslags, but i personally hate them, uncomfy, cause wrist strain and nothing too special for the money you have to pay. My logitech was 25 quid, and a lovely mouse to use. I also have an explorer which i use for Ra3 for all the wubbly buttons :)

O

old.NeedAdvice

Thanks for all your suggestions....

Thanks for your suggestions.
I have come to the decision to buy a MS Intelieye Explorer.
Hope I can kick a bit more ass now with this little puppy???

A

amobea

kryten how did you get all the wubbly buttons working on your MS explorer?
i can't get the thumb buttons to work individually
i can only assign one function to both keys
not one to each :/

K

kryt

you installed the proper drivers ? i always installed then and bound F9 to the large button, and f10 to the small button.
Mind you... you are using the large silver explorer and not the new piddly white one..?
Make sure you're using intellipoint 3.1 too, or whatever the newest is.

A

amobea

hmm i only have intellipoint 3.0
might have to get the latest version
where can i get it?

O

old.Necro

Use whatever you are comfortable with. As long as it is not a tacky 2-button mouse with dodgy drivers, it should be OK.

The Russian team who won the BW Euro competition didn't use any flashy mice.

O

old.NJ_SteveyT

There is only one mouse to play Q3A with, and that's the Razer Boomslang 2000... fair enuff they're expensive, but well worth the money, £69 quid in the uk, and a bargin at that.

Also a lot of ppl here are calling ppl sad, or whatever for buying a boomslang, well, all I have to say to that is buy one, or use one somewhere, and then say we're sad, or it's not worth the money :p

K

kryt

heh

Funnily enough ive used both incarnations of the broomslag, like i said, found it uncomfortable, unforgiving, unpractical and annoyingly shit. Considering i was using one for 2 weeks on a "swap" with my friend (who had my Explorer), even after getting used to it, it was shite. Complete and utter toss.

I'd literally rather play with a 3.99 serial mouse, and I jest not.

O

old.ketaMine

well, NeedAdvice: u really need to try out some of the ones ur thinkin about buyin, i personally wouldnt listen to any1 who tells you "yeah buy this or dont buy that" etc.. Ive got both an explorer and a boomslang, the explorer has been demoted to my work desk because i find the boom pisses all over it tbh, but that doesnt mean shit :)

i do think tho 50 quid is a complete rip off for the explorer, ur paying for it being optical (well whoopeee), id much rather pay 20 quid more to actually get something for my money.

why not try out one of those logitechs with an allsop mat? well cheap and very good so i hear.

K

kryt

Ya, I agree entirely with Ketamine there. Although, I paid 30 for my explorer when it just come out, and since i dropped it in a tub of nail varnish remover : melted the paint off, and has been sprayed a few times. Currently a lovely chrome colour to match my case :)

Logitech mice i find are very good, durable and designed with comfort in mind. Got a mouseman wheel myself, anyone seen the optical logitech around, and know if its much cop? Heard a little good stuff about it, otherwise nothing much :|

A good mousepad always helps.. personally i use the cut out back of a binder folder :)

O

old.ketaMine

blimey, dont get me started on mouse mats :) Tried 3M (too thin, moves about too much etc), Ratpad (bit too slippy) but the pad id really like to try is the logitech wingman mousepad (with the 3M surface, but bigger and more comfy). Everywhere ive looked tho says "we dont ship this out of the US atm"

if any1 knows where to get one be much appreciated

/me waits for allsop to arrive

O

old.Necro

I normally use a trackball (you either like them or you can't stand them), so a mousemat is pretty useless to me.

A thin bit of cardboard taped to the desktop should work quite well, at least until you decorate it with graphite and ink.. :)

W

Wij

It's personal taste.

I've got a Boomslang 2000 but I dont like it. I'm happy with the big microsoft optical jobbie. Other ppl would think I'm mad :)

I conclusion... Err, personal taste, yeh...

O

old.Necro

Yes basically. A lot is made out about having specially designed (hence specially priced) mice.

I'm not even sure there's much benefit of USB on most people's systems.

O

old.Quorthon

Well, bit the bullet yesterday and went and bought an Intellimouse explorer.

First impressions are, very smooth, much smoother than my old ms mouse, rail shots were easier as small adjustments were much simpler (my old mouse sucked for this - you know the score - u move it a tiny bit and nuthin happens, then all of a sudden it flicks far past your target :mad: ). Extra buttons should some in handy for RA3 when I get around to using them properly.

Didnt have any probs that peeps mentioned with "Quick flicks" so that was a relief.

Still have to get used to size though, it feels massive in me hand (oooh that sounded rude :eek:)

Q

R

raw.

:)

I bought an Ms Intelimouse Explorer the other day, first i thought it was good, then shit, now i love it... Railing is so different with this mouse now, its easy !! heh.. but Rocket Jumping i find im not going as high or far as i originaly did, guess i just need to practice.

IMO its a good mouse, and the 2 extra buttons come in V.handy :)

O

old.sjp

update : :)

likei said i HAD a boomslang 2000 and it stank-badly !

BUT

i ust got a boomslang 1000 and WOW !, its a really good mouse, v smoth and well balanced, i didint use the 2000 long enuff to comment on its comfort/shape, but its not act that bad .....

and yes i no, i have way to much spare money if i bought one off them :}

O

old.venturer01

my usb £8.99 kensington wheelmouse has given up the ghost so i have got a shot of ms intellimouse explorer but it keeps on rising off the mouse mat. now the mouse mat i favour is an old table place mat(note:some newer place mats have inferior cork that is to grainy) turned upsidedown the mouse runs on the cork stuff. so i am asking what is the best household surface for the ms exlorer, i have a sheet of smoked glass somewhere, think i will have to find out how this mouse works.

so it takes pics of the surface under the mouse,loads of um.
how big is the area of the pics 2mm x 2mm ? and at what level of detail magnification and how big are the pics, is it better to have a uniform pics say like loads of very small squares, or irregular shape. the thing still works if you lift it up about 6 mm of the desk on cork and about 2 mm on white ish stuff.

[Edited by venturer01 on 03-12-00 at 15:30]

G

granny

any mouse is good for any game AS LONG AS THE MOUSE SUITS YOUR STYLE.

Try a few out, see what you like and what you don't.

Personally I use the Intellimouse Exploder, lovely mouse for me, lots of buttons, nice wheel, no cleaning fluff out of the fkin rollers, superb. Some people hate it though for whatever reasons - it's a personal thing.

One thing I would say to not neglect is a decent mousing surface. I've just received a sUrface1030 from http://www.func.net and, although expensive (cost me 30 quid including shipping from america) it fkin ROCKS, kicks the crap out the chunky Everglide I was using before :p

O

old.venturer01

well the best mouse mat i have found is a sheet of graph paper over my place mat. the graph paper is 2,10,20 mm and when it gets dirty i will use a clean sheet, you can write on it to.
i will get 1 x 1 mm graph paper on monday and test that.
nice mouse and yes even i can rail with it, if i am not under pressure :) lol, mmmmm lets see if it works on wallpaper, shh the bird is asleep lets see if it works on her....

with a light under your mouse it lets you see how often you lift your mouse in the dark when playing q3, anybody got any high speed video of mice in action.

[Edited by venturer01 on 04-12-00 at 07:56]

O

old.Quorthon

I am now used to the mouse size after about 1 week of use. The extra smoothness is definitely handy for railing. Not sure about the side buttons though. These require that you hold the mouse firmly in the palm of your hand. I prefer to hold it with my thumb/little finger with heel of hand placed on the desk. Will keep trying.

Q

R

raw.

mouse

I play a lot better with my Intelimouse Explorer, but i find the little button of the two thumb buttons is a pain in the ass hehe

O

old.Quorthon

Yus Exactly,

Its impossible to reach given the size of the mouse.

Q

O

old.venturer01

ms intellimouse explorer up-date
well after 2 weeks i think it's shit.
it works in q3-ctf but that crashes now ? another story (note i only play ctf).
so i played q3-ra and could i hit a bus, could i fuck.
so i tried the old ms-wheelmouse ps2 again, it has feel.
if you use a mouse with a ball then use a ball-less mouse it's very very good , for a bit, but then you forget how to to use a mouse ? .
sounds strange but true. so what mouse has the best balls with a ball. for under £40.00 ,usb would be nice. i got a lone of the ms intelli thing as m8 did not like.

O

old.Quorthon

hmm, I have it about 2 weeks as well Venturer and Im still undecided. My railing has most definitely improved. IMO there is no doubt that it provides far better precision than a ball mouse. AS for fast n furious action Im not so sure. I dont have any jerkiness, but when it comes to "adjust" I seem to always end up inn the wrong direction. Part of my problem is Im using an everglide pad, which I think is far too small. Anyone have any experience with the Gigantas or the Ratpadz?

Q

O

old.[NC]Sturty

I have a giganta (am using a ball mouse), but the giganta absolutley rocks :)

O

old.Quorthon

Further update after 3-4 weeks. Am now definitely happy with me explorer. Got me best score ever on RA3 map1 the other day (22 kills and 50 damage - I know for some of you l33t geezers this will seem paltry but I enjoyed it) and couldnt seem to miss a rail shot. Now I know we have all had good days and bad days, but I think the explorer made a difference as far as railing was concerned.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom