Help Which mobile for browsing?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i've been looking at replacing my dell axim x51v pda for some time now. i am preety much looking for a something to browse without the need for wifi. i have narrowed my choices to Iphone Sony Ericsson X1 and HTC thouc pro

ive only used the iphone out of the lot which is very nifty for browsing while ive not used the htc thouch at all and the X1 is not farr off from release. need help picking one

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
iPhone. The X1 is untested and the HTC Pro (and Diamond) is flaky from everything I've read. In fact browsing is pretty much the only reason to get an iPhone over most other phones.

I still hold out high hopes for the X1 (not least because in my new job I'll be tied to a non-02 carrier so I can't have an iPhone), but most Windows mobile phones have been a disappointment.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The X1 and touch Pro are nearly the same phone X1 is made by HTC according to most reports but has a sony ui.

If you do not need all the extra features of a Windows Mobile device and there are plenty to pick from might be best to just pick the iPhone.

I have been using this for a while and its a solid phone.

Chilly

Balls of steel
iphone - much as I hate to support facist business practises, it IS a nice bit of kit.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ok the iphone it is the, not figure out which o2 deal is for me

Yaka

Part of the furniture
having not owned a mobile ever, i am but confused about none wifi browsing on iphone. is it charged per minute or something? also what would you guys suggest getting it on contract or pay as you go which is a few days away for iphone?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Most iPhone contracts come with "unlimited mobile data" while not unlimited it is enough for use on your phone. There are limits to stop you connecting it to your PC and downloading torrents ect. If you plan to do alot of browsing i think contract is best as mobile data on Pay as You go can be as high as £2 a mb, but check to see if they offer a special deal on data. Then it comes down to do you want to pay for the phone in a lump sum or over 18 months.

Chilly

Balls of steel
yup, you get 3g unlimited from o2 with every new iphone on contract - well worth it given the service level. HOWEVER - if you dont live in a city you may wish to reconsider as 3g barely exists outside busy urban areas.

Techboy

Fledgling Freddie
HTC Touch Pro has a 480x640 screen, a really nice keyboard and better hardware (therefore faster) than the HTC Touch Diamond. It is reviewed in this months PC Pro (issue 169) - they do say that battery life is poor.

I currently have the HTC TyTn II and use many of the Windows features (I use OneNote, Word, Excel, etc.) plus other programs - all things you won't get on the iPhone. I don't like the iPhone.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Though you've already decided, iPhone gets my vote. Safari is just awesome, the sites work very well on the whole and it's very usable (even on my v1 iPhone :().

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Though you've already decided, iPhone gets my vote. Safari is just awesome, the sites work very well on the whole and it's very usable (even on my v1 iPhone :().

yep preety much decided im going for it now, why dont you opt for the free upgrade o2 are doing

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
because its not free? (or at least it wasn't)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
after reading more carefully no its not. soz

Starman

Part of the furniture
it's only free for those on the £45+ pm tarrif and another 18 months.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Indeed Starmie. I see no point in extending by 18 months. Its simpler to just let this expire as 90% of the time I'm near a cloud or openzone wifi point when I'm out. Then when it does, can pick up a newer model if its about or whatever takes my fancy.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The X1 gives me wood. The iPhone sucks donkey balls.

That is all.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Gah, but you had to say that didn't you Bods :)

Fact of the matter is, the iphone has the best user interface of any phone evar.

I personally wouldn't have one though because it's too restrictive. HTC Touch Dual for me, but it is pretty shit for browsing the web.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
HTC Touch Dual for me, but it is pretty shit for browsing the web.

Which is what worries me about the X1, as it is basically the same once you get past the flashy front end. I want it to be good, but I'm doubtful.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Assuming you don't make lots and lots of calls, the Pay as you Go iPhone is probably going to be a lot cheaper for you.

PAYG iPhone:
Buy Phone: £350
Topups: £10 pcm for 500 minutes
Wifi: £10 pcm (but only after 12 months)

Total for 18 months: 350 + 10 * 18 + 10 * 6 = £590

Contract iPhone:
Buy Phone: £100
Contract: £30 pcm for 75 mins (18 month)

Total for 18 months: £640

Saving of £50 with PAYG. This assumes the smaller iPhone and you don't go over your minutes (of which you get fuck all with the contract)

VidX

One of Freddy's beloved
To be honest, as an owner of an iPhone since they were first released here last year I'd say the iPhone is the best choice for pure browsing. The interface and screen are amazing.

However, one downfall (or 2 if you want to count!) is the lack of Flash and Java support.

That's where the WM devices have the advantage.

If you aren't going near sites with Flash or Java on them I'd suggest the iPhone. If you are wanting to use sites with either of those on it I would say to avoid the iPhone.

However, in the end, I think the iPhone is a far better phone in regards to functionality when you add in all the other options. Once Apple enable the Push function for applications other than ActiveSync the functionality will just increase.

currently the WM device phones have MSN on them that works. The iPhone currently relies on 3rd party applications that must remain open to use MSN (also IRC, VNC, etc) but Apple have promised a fix for that soon.

soze

I am a FH squatter
That HTC has very nice specs has the benifit or having opera mini will all come down to if the touch flow UI has come far enough to trouble the iphone i think.

Yaka

Part of the furniture

Yaka

Part of the furniture
mirc esque irc apps, photo editing suite, barcode scanner for ordering stock and the abilty to pair with other devices over bluetooth. nowt major tbh

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
mirc esque irc apps, photo editing suite, barcode scanner for ordering stock and the abilty to pair with other devices over bluetooth. nowt major tbh
I'm sure IRC and MSN style apps will appear once they add the concept of background programs. Although IRC would likely be a battery eater without connecting to say, your desktop and "pushing" the messages to you rather than ping/ponging

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
MSN is covered by Fring, which is free. Though has to stay "on top" as Sheepcow says.

IRC, there is one iirc but it's pay for.

No idea about photo editing.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ta for frings, theres some irc apps on cydia.

anyways was browsing the beebnews and sports sites, i noticed i have 4 fine lines going down the screen on a white background they have rainbow color effect and dark backgrounds you cant see it. its either the shield layer i stuck on it or i have dead/lazy pixels i am damn sure they wernt there last night

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom