Which gfx?

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Wow you really are a prat. People with far more experience and knowledge about computers offer you advice in a polite manner and you act like this? Many of the suggestions are not about being 'spoilt' in fact most of them are far cheaper than the SLI options you were coming up with (for example 79XX,1950's or 3850's are all in the same price range as the 8600 yet all offer far more performance). By all means if you think you know more than everyone else stick your head in the sand even as every leading technology site has rubbished the 8600 family as having terrible performance for the $$.

For the record, earning a good wage so you can buy quality components for your computer is not in any way 'spoilt'.

Helps if you actually read my reply. And peeps with far more knowledge? That meaning you specifically? I just assembled my own quad with no help and got it fired first time? I've been repairing comps for years...... go figure how much of a lowbie I am... prat!

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
The memory size is not the determent of how good the card is, 1GB ram on a 88 GT is still crappier then a GTX or a SLI solution with ami's 3780 card.

Most people play on plasma screens that span from 19" to 22" and then 512 mb of ram is enough, when you covered that area you want a fast card, with as many pixelshaders possible with a stable chip in it. The G92 chip is not a better architecture then the g80 is, thats a fact.

As many other people told you already, the 8800 GT or GTX alternativly crossfire/crossfirex with 3780 ( from AMI/Radeon ) is the best buy when you compare performance vs cost.

The new g100 chipsets in the 9800 GTX will be very price, probably close to 1000 dollars, they will be quite abit more powerful then the 8800 and g80 serie but its not worth the money.

What you should have done if you wasn't so stubborn was to buy SLI 8800 GTX, then you could play all comming dx10 games on high/highest ( with some tweaks in crysis as no aa/af since its fucked up in that game ) and in a year you could upgrade to the new g100 serie wich will have dropped in price with 30-40%, and probably will have newer revisions in the production line. Today the hardware is still ahead of the software so holding out and buying the best card money can buy is not worth it since you won't be able to push it to its limits, performance not used is wasted money.

With that said I know you already ordered and bought the lot, but the 8600 is a shite card, you can't play any new dx10 games on it on a standard 19"-22" plasma at 1680x1024 due to it having 256 mb of memory.

Also you will not be able to sell the 8600 since noone will buy it. :(

You don't know my victims! xD

I got this baby running no problems. Well besides having a crap monitor cable connecting to the card heh. Runs like a dream atm. Not had a chance to test the card. Setting up to the old way takes time - bah. I already saw crysis and thanks for the advice on that but that game seems to have no appeal to me. For the record, most I ever ran any card was in 1024x768 and tbh I am still happy with that resolution for gaming - the experience for me doesn't really improve beyond that resolution as I'd prefer to play than sit there and admire the aesthetics of the graphics - that usually for me lasts no longer than 5 seconds :/

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Wait for the new cards coming out :) they piss all over the 8800's. I wouldn't waste any money on an 8800 at this point in time... just wait.. have patients for 2 reasons - 1. When the new cards are out the 8800's prices will drop alot and 2. the new cards dominate the 8800's in any way possible.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Wait for the new cards coming out :) they piss all over the 8800's. I wouldn't waste any money on an 8800 at this point in time... just wait.. have patients for 2 reasons - 1. When the new cards are out the 8800's prices will drop alot and 2. the new cards dominate the 8800's in any way possible.

eta? :)

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Seems my piece of paint stripper was a wise choice after all given the time frame ;)

angrymoon

Fledgling Freddie
Seems my piece of paint stripper was a wise choice after all given the time frame ;)

Everyone told you what the card was like, you asked for their opinions and when they gave it you acted like a brat.

I hope you and your "baby" (as you put it) are happy together! :cheers:

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
lols, a 8600. I would rather go to a restaurant and spend the money there than buy that card.

Restaurant gives more bang for the buck. Also lol @ not buying from ebay. Maybe you should not buy from people who have no previous selling history ;d

Also, please do elaborate on the new card situation ! I'll be going to Japan this year too and can grab a new one from there, as they're LE CHEAP there. (Compared alot of hardware prices and they were silly cheap!).

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
lols, a 8600. I would rather go to a restaurant and spend the money there than buy that card.

Restaurant gives more bang for the buck. Also lol @ not buying from ebay. Maybe you should not buy from people who have no previous selling history ;d

Also, please do elaborate on the new card situation ! I'll be going to Japan this year too and can grab a new one from there, as they're LE CHEAP there. (Compared alot of hardware prices and they were silly cheap!).

Also lol at buying from people that have previous selling history and have good rep but can't do a decent deal and fuck you over for it :p

Poon

One of Freddy's beloved
8600? people buying these let Nvidia know big numbers baffle clueless consumers :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom